Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

Agree. I read a post earlier that said ‘Murray would have scored all three of those chances’. Would he bollocks. Love the bloke but he had nothing like a 100% shot to goal ratio. Last game I remember with Muzza was missing a sitter at Everton that he should have buried. [emoji2369]

Welbeck is doing ok - still early days. Big plus is his fitness so far too. What we need is for him to have 3 or 4 decent chances per game, and he’ll likely score a goal or two (like most strikers). At the moment he’s usually only getting one decent chance because we aren’t creating enough in the final third - and then that single missed chance becomes a stick to beat him with because it’s the only one.

Spot on.

There was a time when Murray was known as ‘one in ten Glenn’ by some posters on here! He regularly got criticised for not being clinical enough. A lot of people have very selective memories.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Agree. I read a post earlier that said ‘Murray would have scored all three of those chances’. Would he bollocks. Love the bloke but he had nothing like a 100% shot to goal ratio. Last game I remember with Muzza was missing a sitter at Everton that he should have buried. [emoji2369]

Welbeck is doing ok - still early days. Big plus is his fitness so far too. What we need is for him to have 3 or 4 decent chances per game, and he’ll likely score a goal or two (like most strikers). At the moment he’s usually only getting one decent chance because we aren’t creating enough in the final third - and then that single missed chance becomes a stick to beat him with because it’s the only one.

I think you are under estimating Murray. In the right position he was better than Welbeck at finishing , would he have got there depends which year we are looking at. The issue is that Welbeck has established himself as the number 1 choice so he has got to start tucking them away.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you are under estimating Murray. In the right position he was better than Welbeck at finishing , would he have got there depends which year we are looking at. The issue is that Welbeck has established himself as the number 1 choice so he has got to start tucking them away.

Not at all.....just saying it’s highly unlikely he’d have scored 3 from those 3 chances (agree he was probably a better finisher). The right position is interesting too, as he has no real pace - I can also guarantee you he wouldn’t have scored that goal Welbeck did v Villa [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We need to create more ‘big’ chances.......give all the strikers a better chance of scoring. Can’t keep vilifying them for missing one reasonable chance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not at all.....just saying it’s highly unlikely he’d have scored 3 from those 3 chances (agree he was probably a better finisher). The right position is interesting too, as he has no real pace - I can also guarantee you he wouldn’t have scored that goal Welbeck did v Villa [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

We need to create more ‘big’ chances.......give all the strikers a better chance of scoring. Can’t keep vilifying them for missing one reasonable chance.

Perhaps we should do a bit better with the ones we create before we worry about creating (and missing) even more.

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 23.23.28.png

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Against Leicester the pundit Alan Shearer was crying out for someone to pass to Welbeck who was running into good positions. Would they do so? Would they heck! The guy was running his socks off but no one had the vision to see the opportunity.
Against Fulham it was his assist that allowed Lallana to “score “ . It was not his fault that it evidently hit his arm on the way .
He is a quality player who could do us more good if we played to him

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

Against Leicester the pundit Alan Shearer was crying out for someone to pass to Welbeck who was running into good positions. Would they do so? Would they heck! The guy was running his socks off but no one had the vision to see the opportunity.
Against Fulham it was his assist that allowed Lallana to “score “ . It was not his fault that it evidently hit his arm on the way .

Absolutely. He also made some excellent runs against Fulham that weren’t picked out but he also created space for others.

He also won the penalty against Liverpool and it was him getting in front of Ward-Prowese that led to the penalty award against Southampton.

He’s contributing a lot to us and the goals will come as he gets sharper.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe we're just destined to have misfiring strikers.
Gary Goals would struggle to hit the target if playing for The Albion.

I reckon Tony needs to pee on both goal frames to lift the curse.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We're too busy passing backwards to see the runs

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
as a neutral in all of this I think he's a good striker who has added to your attack. True he has missed some chances, but the danger is to presume that these chances would have been created if someone else was playing.

He seems very aware of those around him. I also think having someone like him at the club is a good thing. Young strikers around him will pick up a few things and once the likes of March get used to his runs I think he could net quite a few.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Spot on.

There was a time when Murray was known as ‘one in ten Glenn’ by some posters on here! He regularly got criticised for not being clinical enough. A lot of people have very selective memories.

That was a hell of along time ago, and only ever by the usual culprits I'd wager!
He hasn't been called that at any time in the Premier League.

Murray is a better finisher than Welbeck.
It's his key strength. Welbeck is a better all round footballer.

Implying that Murray would have done no better with the 4 big chances which have fallen to Welbeck is disingenuous.
All 4 were gilt edged chances. Any forward only taking 1 of them would be disappointed.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Thought he'd kick on after the sublime Villa goal, maybe next match waiting for the floodgates to open!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

This is true IMO. He's a very good addition to the strikers and is still integrating - once the team learn to play better with him, goals will come, both from Welbeck and those around him.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As I said earlier in the thread wellbeck has all the attributes apart from finishing. We need to get maupay happy again.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Depends on when we are talking about. Murray did score quite a few goals at pace on the break. 1.40 on here for a start And you would almost always expect him to score a one-on-one.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm no expert on the current offside rule...but was Danny possibly offside anyway when the first ball was played through to Lamptey? Any offside expert here have a view? Yes, I know he missed anyway but....???

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm no expert on the current offside rule...but was Danny possibly offside anyway when the first ball was played through to Lamptey? Any offside expert here have a view? Yes, I know he missed anyway but....???

On the stream I watched, the commentators were saying that they first checked for offside, then when he wasn't, they checked for handball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here