Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Actually I did comment on the Zeqiri thread that I really, really hoped he wasn't our marquee signing before the window closed.

Incidentally since the window closed, West Ham got Benrahma, who I know I'd rather have than Welbeck.

Spurs spent £15m on a centre-back, Rodon, so lots of clubs are doing business.

I think it is painfully clear that Welbeck is a bit of a panic buy as we lost out on better options.

What are you on about? Both of the deals you quote were completed on Friday before the window closed. The only option since 5pm on Friday has been free agents.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Nah, I don't do trolling. Even if people disagree, it's still my opinion.

My reasoning is that most fans agreed that we needed to add to our striking options with a quality, proven striker. Whilst Welbeck matches the criteria in terms of reputation and has a strong pedigree, if you actually look at his record it is pretty poor and getting worse year on year.

He has never scored more than 9 league goals in a season, and never played in more than 30 games in one season, with considerably fewer starts.

Those 9 goals in a season (which he managed twice) came while playing at Manchester United, 7 and 9 years ago respectively, whilst playing with vastly superior players and enjoying a much greater number of clear goalscoring opportunities per match than he would be likely to enjoy here.

Since leaving Man Utd, he has scored 18 league goals in 106 games, giving a return of 1 goal per 5.88 games.

He has scored 18 goals in the last five full seasons.

During this time - the last five seasons - he has missed a minimum of 83 matches due to injuries, including knee surgery, cartilidge damage and ankle surgery.

His last role was to score 2 goals in 18 games for a team which went on to be relegated.

This is my reasoning for not being exactly overwhelmed by the signing.

I dont agree at all. The only real risk is if his injuries are not behind him and he gets long term crocked again - something in which both the medical and the contract length should provide reasonable insurance against.

I honestly think your view is far to narrow - take a look at the stats of Emile Heskey - worse goal scoring record than welbeck for games played - big difference in being prolific and being shit. Undoubtedly every team that Heskey played for was a better team even though he was never prolific himself.

Welbeck as you rightly point out has played at the very highest level of the game and for his country - forget for one minute if that will garner him 1,5 or 10 goals in the season - what value is that to a senior striker aged 24, with no international experience and 1 PL campaign - how about 2 rookies, one 20 and one 21?

By all accounts Welbeck like CMS will run all day, so how valuable is that to a team playing the high press? As Maupay doesnt really press that well imho - he does it, but its not natural - So with Welbeck next to him, who runs and runs, presses well, and adds a bit of height, does that pairing become stronger or weaker?

If Maupay or Connolly get injured, whats the better option? a player of Welbeck experience or a 21 year old from the Swiss 2nd Tier?

Its well reported we were after Darwin Nunez, I will assume he was our number 1 attacking target and he chose Benfica - shit happens, so whats the solution throw many millions at any other striker in the middle of a pandemic with record losses and no gates?

This is a very very smart piece of business in so many ways - If Welbeck is injured or shit - he'll be off and our loss is minimal - even so he will offer a lot to the very young inexperienced lads - if hes good, its a massive bonus - a 2018 full England international on a free on a 1 year deal with masses of top level experience has just singed for Brighton.

Give your head a wobble fella

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Nah, I don't do trolling. Even if people disagree, it's still my opinion.

My reasoning is that most fans agreed that we needed to add to our striking options with a quality, proven striker. Whilst Welbeck matches the criteria in terms of reputation and has a strong pedigree, if you actually look at his record it is pretty poor and getting worse year on year.

He has never scored more than 9 league goals in a season, and never played in more than 30 games in one season, with considerably fewer starts.

Those 9 goals in a season (which he managed twice) came while playing at Manchester United, 7 and 9 years ago respectively, whilst playing with vastly superior players and enjoying a much greater number of clear goalscoring opportunities per match than he would be likely to enjoy here.

Since leaving Man Utd, he has scored 18 league goals in 106 games, giving a return of 1 goal per 5.88 games.

He has scored 18 goals in the last five full seasons.

During this time - the last five seasons - he has missed a minimum of 83 matches due to injuries, including knee surgery, cartilidge damage and ankle surgery.

His last role was to score 2 goals in 18 games for a team which went on to be relegated.

This is my reasoning for not being exactly overwhelmed by the signing.

I’m with you actually. Most are happy with this signing, so fair enough.

As a stop gap signing? Assuming it’s good value (which it will be knowing our club) it’s a fine stop gap for a year.

It’s not a long term play in my opinion. But we did need a backup, so I hope he stays injury free and I wish him all the best.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Not my first choice as a striker to purchase but seeing as come January we could have Andone & Tau back with us, and Zeqiri is a bit of a mystery in terms of quality, then the club are obviously seeing this as a signing to sit on the bench & cover injuries until we asses our options in 6-12 months. And for that purpose I’m happy with DW. Can’t really complain for a freebie

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pleased about Welbeck signing, excited actually. Hopefully he can tuck away a few of the many PL chances we’re missing.

Then ..... Radio Sussex put a big dampener on it, with a gloomy reminder of his nothingness at Watford.

But I remain excited.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Thoughts of a Watford-supporting friend of mine when I suggested that, in a roundabout way, our clubs have done a striker swap:

"You have, without any shadow of doubt, got the better deal. Personally, I’d be sending Murray right back where he came from as he looks good for little more than bench warming and random cameos. Let’s be straight: there’s a 19yo rookie keeping him out of the team. And soon, squad. Now, Welbeck. I wish him every success. Lovely guy, talented but so unlucky w injuries his whole career. If he stays fit, he’ll be brilliant for you. Politely, if he stays fit, he’s better than both our clubs."

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Then ..... Radio Sussex put a big dampener on it, with a gloomy reminder of his nothingness at Watford.

Sadly Warren had not done his research on what went wrong at Watford. He did not know why he had played so little and was unaware of the sparkling form and fitness he showed post lockdown.

The truth is, Welbeck has had one significant injury, an ankle injury that ended his Arsenal career. Like Izquierdo for us (after the World Cup), he came back too soon.

If he is genuinely over the ankle injury (and I trust that our medical team is confident he is), there is no reason he can’t rediscover his Utd, Arsenal or England form and extend his deal at the Amex.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Thoughts of a Watford-supporting friend of mine when I suggested that, in a roundabout way, our clubs have done a striker swap:

"You have, without any shadow of doubt, got the better deal. Personally, I’d be sending Murray right back where he came from as he looks good for little more than bench warming and random cameos. Let’s be straight: there’s a 19yo rookie keeping him out of the team. And soon, squad. Now, Welbeck. I wish him every success. Lovely guy, talented but so unlucky w injuries his whole career. If he stays fit, he’ll be brilliant for you. Politely, if he stays fit, he’s better than both our clubs."

At 37 that is kind of where Glenn Murray is but I would hope at Championship level he is still capable of changing a game from the bench.

As for Wellbeck, the club obviously see something in him and as Lallana played 75 minutes and seemed to be beginning to pull the strings at times today, perhaps we should start trusting them on such matters.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Assuming (maybe a big assumption) that his pay is heavily linked to appearances, could be a really good signing. An upgrade on Murray nowadays for sure. Should be a good experienced influence in the dressing room and won’t necessarily block the development of Maupay and Connolly as he’s not likely to play week in, week out. Players that don’t quite cut it for top 6 clubs are still very good players by our standards I think.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I do think that a fit Welbeck would possibly have won us that game today? If we lacked anything it was guile and quality in the final third. An experienced Striker who could make better runs and offer an outlet aerially could have given us something extra today. He might not be available every week but he does have some top level ability/experience in an area of the pitch where we surely lack it currently...

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I think its a decent signing......whats not to like as a replacement or alternative to what we have.....better than nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here