Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
A 12 month deal.
Yes a stop gap between now and an “on plan” signing but nothing wrong with that.
If he is fit it’s a good deal all round & will help bring Zeqiri on

The 12 month deal will be to protect us due his past injury problems. If he suffers more injury problems in these 12 months we’ll no doubt release him. However if he proves his injuries are behind him and he gets plenty of game time for us then you can bet that there is the option to extend his contract. I think this is a decent signing for us.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Would this have anything at all to do with us loaning Murray to Watford...or just a coincidence?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Can't really go wrong with a 12 months contract, either he is a success and keeps us up while letting the younger options settle, or he's rubbish / unfit and we get shot of him next summer.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not at all happy with this signing. I still held hope that there was a proper striking option coming after Zeqiri. This hope is now extinguished.

Weird that your hopes of signing a decent striker weren't extinguished by both of the transfer windows closing, but were by us signing a free agent who is under 30 and was in the England squad as recently as 2018.

I thought we were done and was concerned about an injury to one of the starters, so this has come as a nice surprise. He's different from what we have and gives us the option that we lost when Murray went. Had we had a fit Welbeck against Everton we may have tried putting a corner into their box.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal]

With Muzza not around also great to have a more experienced striker in the group to help the younger guys, so even if not playing he’ll be an asset.

One year deal on a free represents very low risk business on our part. How we’ve managed to get him, Lallana and Veltman for virtually nothing is very smart work by the club - and allows more investment in younger, high potential players.

Sounds like Lallana did much of the work in convincing Welbeck to sign

https://twitter.com/officialbhafc/status/1317805534674866176?s=21

https://twitter.com/officialbhafc/status/1317805534674866176?s=21

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Weird that your hopes of signing a decent striker weren't extinguished by both of the transfer windows closing, but were by us signing a free agent who is under 30 and was in the England squad as recently as 2018.

I thought we were done and was concerned about an injury to one of the starters, so this has come as a nice surprise. He's different from what we have and gives us the option that we lost when Murray went. Had we had a fit Welbeck against Everton we may have tried putting a corner into their box.
What is this 'putting a corner into their box' please? :wink:

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Pleased with this. Good experienced player, he will definitely help our youngsters. Another bonus that he is 6' 1''

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
for real or for reel? :fishing:

Nah, I don't do trolling. Even if people disagree, it's still my opinion.

My reasoning is that most fans agreed that we needed to add to our striking options with a quality, proven striker. Whilst Welbeck matches the criteria in terms of reputation and has a strong pedigree, if you actually look at his record it is pretty poor and getting worse year on year.

He has never scored more than 9 league goals in a season, and never played in more than 30 games in one season, with considerably fewer starts.

Those 9 goals in a season (which he managed twice) came while playing at Manchester United, 7 and 9 years ago respectively, whilst playing with vastly superior players and enjoying a much greater number of clear goalscoring opportunities per match than he would be likely to enjoy here.

Since leaving Man Utd, he has scored 18 league goals in 106 games, giving a return of 1 goal per 5.88 games.

He has scored 18 goals in the last five full seasons.

During this time - the last five seasons - he has missed a minimum of 83 matches due to injuries, including knee surgery, cartilidge damage and ankle surgery.

His last role was to score 2 goals in 18 games for a team which went on to be relegated.

This is my reasoning for not being exactly overwhelmed by the signing.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Darren Bent ?

No he isn't.

bent-wife.jpg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Actually I did comment on the Zeqiri thread that I really, really hoped he wasn't our marquee signing before the window closed.

Incidentally since the window closed, West Ham got Benrahma, who I know I'd rather have than Welbeck.

Spurs spent £15m on a centre-back, Rodon, so lots of clubs are doing business.

I think it is painfully clear that Welbeck is a bit of a panic buy as we lost out on better options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here