[Albion] Danny Welbeck, should we? [18/10: we did - one year deal] - *** NEW ONE YEAR DEAL ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Injured until Watford, he played well in every Watford game I watched. I think he would do great if he has a run of games and could stay fit - similar to Lallana.

Don't worry, it won't happen. But I'd be happy if he came to compete - and all of Maupay, Connolly and Zeqiri would learn from a former Man U, Arsenal and England striker - just as I'm sure, others learn off Lallana.
Agreed looked class at the end of last season

Its not all about goals there's a reason he's played so many for England ... He's decent and better than anything we have

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
See Naylor retweeted the story is he subtly telling us we’re interested or laying a false trail?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I do hope the likes of Alzate, Bissouma, Connolly, White and Molumby have recovered from the injury prone Lallana being ‘parachuted in as a top earner whilst having no guarantee of a starting position’. Poor lads.

Fair point, although Lallana was getting regular game time for the best club side in the world, whereas Welbeck has fallen off a cliff.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given our current striker options and him agreeing to an Albion player wage, it’s a yes again from me as it was last season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At present we need backup, so if reasonable terms could be agreed, and DW managing not to get injured in training or while sitting in the stands, then could be a good option to have. However, if he’s one of these players like Vicente, that seem to have a psychological problem with injury as much as a physical one, could be more of a problem than its worth.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
IF fit he could do a job. Massive IF though. Highly doubtful we would be in for him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
As a player, I’d like him to sign for a year.
But At 100k a week, or even close? Too much.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Fair point, although Lallana was getting regular game time for the best club side in the world, whereas Welbeck has fallen off a cliff.

I’d say it was the other way round. Welbeck was decent in the second Half of last season. I’m think I’m right in saying Lallana didn’t play much league football for Liverpool, last season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d say it was the other way round. Welbeck was decent in the second Half of last season. I’m think I’m right in saying Lallana didn’t play much league football for Liverpool, last season.

Apart from 15 appearances, 1 goal !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Apart from 15 appearances, 1 goal !

But WHAT a goal.

He’s never been a 25-goal a season striker but By all accounts his all round play was good . Decent replacement for Muz maybe, if the wages aren’t too high

Edit: hang on , you were talking about Lallana! :hilton: He was on the bench a lot , I think . Quality player, of course.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bizarrely seems to find it easier to score goals for his country than for his club.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I can’t see any team paying him anywhere near £100k a week, Nowhere near playing for top 6 team, Everton don’t need, West Ham and palace have been burnt by this type on these wages, Southampton have reduced their wage bill and even then are sharing Walcott wages, Fulham just got loftus-cheek on £120+, Villa, Leeds and Sheffield Utd have each signed two strikers, Newcastle got Wilson, Wolves signed Portuguese wonderkid, West Brom and Burnley like us won’t pay this level of wage. So all in all his options and Sturbridge and Wiltshire are very limited as ‘buying’ power is with clubs.

So knowing nothing over him £20k/wk until end of season, with availability / bench / playing etc to take up to £50+k with a make so many appearances extension

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The club have the funds for a £20m Nunez style attacker who is young, tall, strong and has bags of potential.

Other than Solanke, there does not appear to be a Striker in the lower leagues we’d want (Grant is not a good ‘footballer’ in the sense of control, one touch passing and movement) so it’s a question of waiting for January and seeing if players like Edouard are available for a reasonable price.

Until then, we have to look at the scenario of Maupay and Connolly not being available for whatever reason. A season long contract for Welbeck seems the best option available at the moment if he is 100% fit and we’re paying him a reasonable salary (well below £50k one would hope).

He is big, strong and quick and would also provide an aerial option that we currently lack so more than just a back up. He can play all across the front three which is very useful.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club have the funds for a £20m Nunez style attacker who is young, tall, strong and has bags of potential.

Other than Solanke, there does not appear to be a Striker in the lower leagues we’d want (Grant is not a good ‘footballer’ in the sense of control, one touch passing and movement) so it’s a question of waiting for January and seeing if players like Edouard are available for a reasonable price.

Until then, we have to look at the scenario of Maupay and Connolly not being available for whatever reason. A season long contract for Welbeck seems the best option available at the moment if he is 100% fit and we’re paying him a reasonable salary (well below £50k one would hope).

He is big, strong and quick and would also provide an aerial option that we currently lack so more than just a back up. He can play all across the front three which is very useful.
We don't know whether or not the 2 poles would have been signed if we had signed Nunez.

Maybe the cash for them came out of that £20 million ? ???

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Do we want him? He looks shit tbh

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
El Pres posted something interesting on Twitter yesterday - indicating a number of mortgages against the parent company of Brighton & Hove Albion had been settled with Barclays very recently. May of course be planned but I wonder if we have preferred to settle some of these 'debts' as a priority because of COVID

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do we want him? He looks shit tbh

It appears that we were outbid by B’Muff with Ashworth being very keen on him.

I’m sure Potter could get the best out of him as he’s a great ‘baller but B’Muff are not going to sell their future for the sort of fee we’d want.

His value would only have gone down with his EPL form and Covid but I suspect B’Muff would want their money back (£19m) if approached. I don’t think we’re desperate enough to try.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports