Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Baker's life to become BBC drama series.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes it did, it's in the book.

Having loved the books and being such a big Baker-phile I was pretty nervous this could turn out a mess but it was fantastic. I'm not a big fan of Peter Kay but I LOLd and ROFLd pretty much every time he opened his mouth. Baker's dad is a fascinating, huge character.

I haven't read any of the books and apart from seeing the trailer I didn't know what to expect from this programme.
It was the funniest thing I have seen on TV for ages, absolutely loved it.

Baker's dad ( Peter Kay ) also had me laughing out very loud, I am a fan of Kay but I wasn't sure about him playing someone from London, but he was hilarious from the start.
Shouting at the tortoise :lolol:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Yes it did, it's in the book.

Having loved the books and being such a big Baker-phile I was pretty nervous this could turn out a mess but it was fantastic. I'm not a big fan of Peter Kay but I LOLd and ROFLd pretty much every time he opened his mouth. Baker's dad is a fascinating, huge character.

Ha, can't believe I'd already forgotten that.

Yes, it was very good, really enjoyed it. I suspect DB is prone to embellishing things a bit (like the stories he told people when he was younger) but who cares.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Shouting at the tortoise :lolol:

That bit is, IMHO, even funnier in the book, with dialogue along the lines of "What is all that noise?" "Oh your dad's shouting at the tortoise again."

Do people still have pet tortoises? Always seems to me a bit like having a pet rock but maybe I'm missing something.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That bit is, IMHO, even funnier in the book, with dialogue along the lines of "What is all that noise?" "Oh your dad's shouting at the tortoise again."

Do people still have pet tortoises? Always seems to me a bit like having a pet rock but maybe I'm missing something.

We had 2 pet tortoises when I was a kid, can't remember where they came from.
One day my sister was in our back garden talking to the lady next door, we had a small wall dividing the gardens and the neighbours was surprised my little sister could see over it.
She said " You have grown since I last saw you"
My sister replied " I'm standing on the tortoise "

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Danny Baker is one of the best radio presenters around. I could listen to him all day. I remember those dark days of the 90's, travelling back from The Goldstone having witnessed another defeat/protest and listening to his phone-in - the only thing that cheered me up. As for the irrational hatred of Palace, that's an oxymoron, ain't it?

.....and remember him following our plight closely and promoting fans united on 606, what a program that was before he handed it to bloody David Mellor!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
.....and remember him following our plight closely and promoting fans united on 606, what a program that was before he handed it to bloody David Mellor!

He was sacked after a rant at a referee (or something like that). In the early days the phone-in was aimed at all sports. He asked for someone to call in about chess! It really was ground breaking .................. and turned to shit as soon as Mellor got involved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

"That's right, run away". :lolol:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Fair enough. He's still not done very much to speak of tho eh, in the grand scheme of things. BBC will do anything on the cheap nowadays :shrug:

Well agreed that his life story doesn't compare to Winston Churchill's, but that isn't the point. It's a whimsical look at growing up in the 1970s, not a catalogue of amazing adventures. What does your comment about the BBC doing stuff "on the cheap" actually mean? The range and quality of comedy/light entertainment/news documentary, etc, is incredible. Oh and my top tip new comedy show on the beeb is "Top Coppers". Flippin' hilarious!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I thought it was hilarious and also very well observed. I must be about the same age as DB as I was wearing the same clobber (tonics, Harrington) as him and using some of the same slang at the time. It also brought back memories of what it was like around Bermondsey and Deptford - it was still like that in the early 80s when I lived nearby. I'm going to get his book after seeing part one.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Squeeze are writing the music to this series, where two songs of their to be released album will be played (their first new material in over 17 years) . In fact the title of the series was changed from that of Danny Bakers book to the song "Cradle to the Grave".

Difford & Tilbrook make a cameo.

Both Danny Baker and Peter Kay are big Squeeze fans.

I look forward to this series for lots of reasons

Have you seen the new Lewes FC home shirt?
Sponsored by Squeeze.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Bit underwhelmed with this, which is really disappointing because as a Danny Baker fan I really didn't want to be.

It just seemed like a series of mildly amusing anecdotes for the 'after dinner circuit' stitched together with a pacy, personable narrative and a decent soundtrack. Personally I really hated Peter Kay as 'spud Baker' and not simply because of his mangled south London accent that drifted in and out made his character really unbelievable. But mostly because he played the part like a pantomime Dame. I wish they had cast an unknown, or if they really wanted to go for a big name, got somebody like Ray Winston - if he were available.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Did Danny Baker or any of his callers mention episode 1 of Cradle to Grave during his radio show this morning?

I had it on, but didn't get a chance to listen too closely as I was busy doing other stuff.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Bit underwhelmed with this, which is really disappointing because as a Danny Baker fan I really didn't want to be.

It just seemed like a series of mildly amusing anecdotes for the 'after dinner circuit' stitched together with a pacy, personable narrative and a decent soundtrack. Personally I really hated Peter Kay as 'spud Baker' and not simply because of his mangled south London accent that drifted in and out made his character really unbelievable. But mostly because he played the part like a pantomime Dame. I wish they had cast an unknown, or if they really wanted to go for a big name, got somebody like Ray Winston - if he were available.

Agree. Loved the show but all the time you were thinking that's Peter Kay, not Danny Bakers father.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
If you read the book, then you will appreciate the programme more.
I can honestly say it was one of my favorite reads of all time.
I was laying on a sunbed last year reading the book and burst out laughing, I embarressed my wife and daughter cos I had my I-pod ear phones in, and the part where his mate who died and was wearing his to Tonics in the coffin was much more graphically described in the book.
I suppose the fact that I am the same age as Danny, and grew up relating to the same senario's was good for me.
I ruined my Tonic jacket under the West pier to allow a bird I pulled in the Abinger to lay on when I had my first s**g. Next day I found out it had oil on it......Gutted.
Ok Peter Kay isnt the best casting as a Cockney, but knowing how good the book is, I look forward to the rest of the series.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Excellent new Squeeze album with songs from the show.

Cover.jpg :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here