Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Danny Baker's life to become BBC drama series.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It was not you specifically but you subsequently referred to 'we' 'we don't care when our rivalry began'
No, 'we' as in Brighton fans, don't care when the rivalry began. My list was aimed at the PALACE poster who said the hatred was irrational. No Brighton fan said our hatred of palace was irrational.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
No, 'we' as in Brighton fans, don't care when the rivalry began. My list was aimed at the PALACE poster who said the hatred was irrational. No Brighton fan said our hatred of palace was irrational.

Don't think the poster was a Palace fan; just someone who had not clocked that DB being a Millwall fan would have been anti Palace. Whether anyone cares or not Millwall have hated Palace longer than Brighton have; sp given DB has probably supported Millwall since the early 60s it seems strange to single out HIS hatred of Palace as irrational.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Don't think the poster was a Palace fan; just someone who had not clocked that DB being a Millwall fan would have been anti Palace. Whether anyone cares or not Millwall have hated Palace longer than Brighton have; sp given DB has probably supported Millwall since the early 60s it seems strange to single out HIS hatred of Palace as irrational.
Del Fenner is palace.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I'm sure I have read somewhere that his school was a fairly even spread of Millwall and Charlton supporters which meant a lot of his mates were Charlton so they had a mutual loathing of Palace rather than each other.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'm sure I have read somewhere that his school was a fairly even spread of Millwall and Charlton supporters which meant a lot of his mates were Charlton so they had a mutual loathing of Palace rather than each other.
I'm sure that was the case in the area generally; in fact it seemed to be so from memories of visiting parents' friends and our relatives in the 60s and early 70s. Brighton were nowhere on the rivalry radar. Even now I find some Palace fans find our obsession with them something of a mild mixture of amusement and contempt. We could so easily be up there with Swansea, Hull, C Palace, Southampton etc with a bit of patience, realism, guile and confidence.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Great show again today (as always!) with that ocean swimmer. :thumbsup:

DB.JPG

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Missed this thread a few weeks ago: looks interesting. Mrs Gwylan was a teenage friend of Danny Baker, I bet she'll watch that with interest

Did she think he was David Essex's brother?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Rivalry is not always just local, sometimes it just comes down to the 'Billy Big Bollox' in your division. I remember the huge rivalry with Luton from the late 60's - early 70's, and we had our bottom division rivalries with Cardiff & Chesterfield and we also had Orient.

Then we had the 'South Coast Derby' with Bournemouth. Just how far away is that?

As regards Millwal, Charlton Palace & us, the Londoners would have had the 'local' bit. We must have gone nearly 15 years from the early 60's to late 70's without playing Palace and, when we did, they certainly had the BBB role.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Squeeze are writing the music to this series, where two songs of their to be released album will be played (their first new material in over 17 years) . In fact the title of the series was changed from that of Danny Bakers book to the song "Cradle to the Grave".

Difford & Tilbrook make a cameo.

Both Danny Baker and Peter Kay are big Squeeze fans.

I look forward to this series for lots of reasons

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Whoever said it first, I assumed the "irrational hatred of Palace" comment was irony?
Love Danny Baker, comic genius but a face made for radio which he probably said himself at some stage.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
The ironic thing is his in laws are palace :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A lovely bloke with a completely irrational loathing of Palace.[/QUO

He completely is. He looked a bit iffy when he did the DAZ ads, but, no, he's a gem. I was in the Vortex in London the night Elvis died. Danny, in a dodgy shiney 'leather' jacket came on stage and berated the audience for cheering at the news. Quite a lot of bottle. His books are brilliant. And 606 never really recovered after he was sacked (Dominic Diamond, and that pompous Davide Mellor FFS) till its present incarnation. Danny's reaction to having cancer, and his irrepressable joie de vivre are inspirational. Mind you, the second half of his radio shows, after the sausage sandwich game is played, are a bit dull, and this is normally when I go for my Saturday morning shit and shower. I did the sausage sandwich game last year (playing for the Albion, natch) and got such shitty questions someone texted in to complain. I think he did it deliberately, probably because I'm middle class :wrong: I am looking forward to this adaptation of his books very much.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
Danny Baker-Genius.

Brightons hatred for Palace only started in the mid 70's.

Bournemouth were usually in the same league as us before then.
Or Portsmouth.
Southend and Gillingham were more our rivals than Palace.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Bounce.

On tomorrow 9pm BBC2.

Music by Squeeze, who have an album out soon. All songs are loosely based around Dannys and their early life around Deptford in the 1970's. A terrific batch of songs, which shows their genius even after all this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here