Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dan Walker: Knocked off bike, lands on face.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
car clearly at fault, doesn't see him and should - no hi vis required to see a man in the middle of the road in daylight.

though question why he hasn't used the provided cycle route. whats the point of all the expense of cycle paths if cyclists ignore them?
Cycle paths can be there for specific reasons, which don't necessarily suit all cyclists. Shared cycling/walking lanes for example if they are wide enough, work well if cyclists are going at a slow and steady pace. this is not much use if you are after some serious aerobic exercise, or want to get somewhere quick and quite rightly the pedestrians hate this.

The cycle path around the roundabout provides a safer means of transiting at the expense of time and convenience. You really shouldn't have to stay off the road to avoid shit drivers.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Cycle paths can be there for specific reasons, which don't necessarily suit all cyclists. Shared cycling/walking lanes for example if they are wide enough, work well if cyclists are going at a slow and steady pace. this is not much use if you are after some serious aerobic exercise, or want to get somewhere quick and quite rightly the pedestrians hate this.

The cycle path around the roundabout provides a safer means of transiting at the expense of time and convenience. You really shouldn't have to stay off the road to avoid shit drivers.
I think you make some very valid points especially re the shared lanes….maybe though re that last sentence its better to be safe that sorry ….i havnt studied the video so wont comment on fault…and wish Mr Walker a speedy (and safe) recovery

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

we could argue having cyclists on the road doesnt suit drivers, shared driving/cylcing lanes work well if drivers are going at a slow pace. we could argue drivers should be safer, see and avoid cyclist, however we also have reality to deal with. point is safety is the reason for cycle paths to be there, there's no good reason to ignore them. in this case there seems to be a substantial cycle path under pass to avoid the inherent danger of a major junction.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
we could argue having cyclists on the road doesnt suit drivers, shared driving/cylcing lanes work well if drivers are going at a slow pace. we could argue drivers should be safer, see and avoid cyclist, however we also have reality to deal with. point is safety is the reason for cycle paths to be there, there's no good reason to ignore them. in this case there seems to be a substantial cycle path under pass to avoid the inherent danger of a major junction.
Which really should trigger the question, why do we allow our roads to be so unsafe as to accept within the context of a city, it is unsafe for a bike to be there? Not every busy roundabout in towns and cities have cycle underpasses or cycle lanes.

What about the kid that doesn't see the underpass, misses a turning, are we just saying that it's acceptable for this level of danger to exist on our roads? What other context would this level of health and safety risk be acceptable?

Or really, the debate isn't cars, cyclists etc. it is just safety.

I fear that for anyone watching that video that doesn't conclude the driver was unequivocally at fault (which I know you and every other reasonably minded person did) we face an uphill battle in making our roads safer so that we can get to a point where despite population growth, we aim to have less cars on the roads, with less speed making them safer, with people make choices for alternatives.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Arguably lazy driving but it’s one that has been missed right in the blind spot. I used to jog through this roundabout every morning on the way to work, there’s a bike path for a reason - use it.
Has anyone ever passed a driving test not knowing blind spots exist on motor vehicles?

In this case they hit a cyclist, on a dual carriageway they cause a multi-car pile up.

It's not 'arguably' lazy driving, it's absolutely careless driving and hopefully they'll be prosecuted for it, there's certainly enough evidence.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Has anyone ever passed a driving test not knowing blind spots exist on motor vehicles?

In this case they hit a cyclist, on a dual carriageway they cause a multi-car pile up.

It's not 'arguably' lazy driving, it's absolutely careless driving and hopefully they'll be prosecuted for it, there's certainly enough evidence.
At least in my perspective, it appears as if the cyclist never contemplated that a driver could move across. I’m not saying the driver should have moved across, they shouldn’t have but you still need to have an awareness of other road users and not ride around nonchalantly on a large major roundabout expecting to be seen.

When moving lanes on a motorway I am constantly looking across the lane to ensure it’s safe to move across and am wary of merging vehicles just incase they don’t properly check. Whether it’s your fault or not you need to have an awareness of how crashes can occur and take preventative steps accordingly. Sitting in someone’s blind spot nonchalantly isn’t going to help…

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With the video showing the incident and the comments from Dan Walker that his cycle helmet saved him from a more serious outcome, is it now time to make the wearing of a cycle helmet a compulsory requirement rather than should do.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
At least in my perspective, it appears as if the cyclist never contemplated that a driver could move across. I’m not saying the driver should have moved across, they shouldn’t have but you still need to have an awareness of other road users and not ride around nonchalantly on a large major roundabout expecting to be seen.

When moving lanes on a motorway I am constantly looking across the lane to ensure it’s safe to move across and am wary of merging vehicles just incase they don’t properly check. Whether it’s your fault or not you need to have an awareness of how crashes can occur and take preventative steps accordingly. Sitting in someone’s blind spot nonchalantly isn’t going to help…
The car has only just joined the roundabout and enters his lane without indicating. How is he 'nonchantly' sitting in their blind spot?

I double check on motorways - mainly because so many idiots don't indicate. I find it incredible that so many don't bother. Pure ignorance. Winds me up walking the dog too. Number of times I could cross the road at the Old Shoreham Rd / Hangleton Rd lights if someone just indicated they were going left or right and not straight on...basic level of respect to everyone using the roads.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With the video showing the incident and the comments from Dan Walker that his cycle helmet saved him from a more serious outcome, is it now time to make the wearing of a cycle helmet a compulsory requirement rather than should do.
Compulsory helmets deter people from cycling, and there is evidence it increases the chance of being involved in an accident (people feel* safer so take more risks, and drivers assume* you are less vulnerable and are less safe around you).

*Not intended to imply a conscious decision.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
There is nothing hypothetical in your point. Driving would be massively improved by removing all sorts of other road users, pedestrians, other motor vehicles, birds that target your wind screen. Unfortunately shared use tends to be the norm in busy places.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Compulsory helmets deter people from cycling
One could argue you wouldn't want those kind of people cycling in the first place, if wearing a helmet was such a big issue for them.

I'm "only" 36, but I imagine the same thing was perhaps said when seatbelts were made mandatory?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I am not sure exactly how you expect this to work? Many years ago I used to cycle in Central London and one morning I was cut up by a taxi crossing into my lane and forcing me towards the curb. I managed to alert the driver by giving his vehicle a good kick, which was enough to make him swerve out again and give me enough space to continue.

I think I made contact with the rear door, even though I could see this coming. I wasn't going that fast, but fast enough to not be able to stop before hitting the curb, if he hadn't of moved out a little. You will have to take my word for it, that it was not an act of agrression, but of self defence. The taxi driver didn't stop for an argument, which is also telling.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Compulsory helmets deter people from cycling, and there is evidence it increases the chance of being involved in an accident (people feel* safer so take more risks, and drivers assume* you are less vulnerable and are less safe around you).

*Not intended to imply a conscious decision.
Quite. Surely the goal of drivers is to be able to get around more easily and the only way that is happening is with less cars on the road, and the only way that is happening is if we make alternatives easier and safer.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The majority of the 'professional' cyclists around here wear black. I wear an orange dayglo that can be seen from outa space! Not cool but safer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The car has only just joined the roundabout and enters his lane without indicating. How is he 'nonchantly' sitting in their blind spot?

I double check on motorways - mainly because so many idiots don't indicate. I find it incredible that so many don't bother. Pure ignorance. Winds me up walking the dog too. Number of times I could cross the road at the Old Shoreham Rd / Hangleton Rd lights if someone just indicated they were going left or right and not straight on...basic level of respect to everyone using the roads.
I'd love to see the police dish out 3 points penalty notices for offences like that.

It's arrogant laziness.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Still would love to know what that was about. Seeing as you agreed with how I saw the incident....
Has post #57 completely left your mind? Write an untrue load of mocking bollocks about someone and they may just give you a bit back 👍

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Has post #57 completely left your mind? Write an untrue load of mocking bollocks about someone and they may just give you a bit back 👍
Blimey. How odd. You were holding onto that and then you used it in the wrong context completely.

Do you know what, we'll scrub that one and I'll let you have another crack on a newer post when it makes more sense.

Tip: Pick a time where my post is voicing an opinion different to the majority of everyone else. Makes a lot more sense to mock, rather than one even you agreed with.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Blimey. How odd. You were holding onto that and then you used it in the wrong context completely.

Do you know what, we'll scrub that one and I'll let you have another crack on a newer post when it makes more sense.
Nope - used it in exactly the same context yours was but it went well over your head. That’s what made it so funny. Yes I’m the odd one etc etc of course… I’m the one who waded in out the blue of course… The smarmy nature of your posts says a lot about you - I wasn’t even gonna reply but as you chased 3 times like a kid at school moaning to the teacher, having forgot your unnecessary dig 2 days ago I thought I’d explain it - in the hope you may get it - was very simple. Bye 😘

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Nope - used it in exactly the same context yours was but it went well over your head. That’s what made it so funny. Yes I’m the odd one etc etc of course… I’m the one who waded in out the blue of course… The smarmy nature of your posts says a lot about you - I wasn’t even gonna reply but as you chased 3 times like a kid at school moaning to the teacher, having forgot your unnecessary dig 2 days ago I thought I’d explain it - in the hope you may get it - was very simple. Bye 😘
Blimey. :lolol:

Well, at least you didn't take the joke to heart...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here