Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dan Walker: Knocked off bike, lands on face.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Right I’ve seen the full video now rather than just the cut someone shared and actually I’ve changed my opinion.

Drivers fault for the collision as the perspective I saw earlier made the angle of the lanes look different, although I still think him being on the roundabout in the first place is pointless given there is a cycle lane and if you are going to enter a roundabout as a cyclist in such light conditions, you should be better illuminated and wear a high viz, yes not ‘legal’ but it’s just a smart thing to do.

Not victim blaming, just think it’s courtesy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Taking a selfie in an ambulance. What possible motivation is there to do that? What drives that?
Don’t start that again - it’s not well received 🤣🤦🏻‍♂️

Hearing he was out cold for 20 mins then did it even more odd for me but not going there again!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
car clearly at fault, doesn't see him and should - no hi vis required to see a man in the middle of the road in daylight.

though question why he hasn't used the provided cycle route. whats the point of all the expense of cycle paths if cyclists ignore them?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
car clearly at fault, doesn't see him and should - no hi vis required to see a man in the middle of the road in daylight.

though question why he hasn't used the provided cycle route. whats the point of all the expense of cycle paths if cyclists ignore them?
Daylight? Questionable, headlights are on and the cyclist is extremely poorly visible, even in the dashcam.

Cars fault I agree now I’ve seen the correct angles, but there are things that could have been done to avoid it, just because things aren’t legal requirements doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be, I’ve been a driver and a cyclist in these situations and it’s scary as both, as a cyclist you pray the car sees you and as a car you pray the cyclist is visible, a high viz makes a massive difference.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Right I’ve seen the full video now rather than just the cut someone shared and actually I’ve changed my opinion.

Drivers fault for the collision as the perspective I saw earlier made the angle of the lanes look different, although I still think him being on the roundabout in the first place is pointless given there is a cycle lane and if you are going to enter a roundabout as a cyclist in such light conditions, you should be better illuminated and wear a high viz, yes not ‘legal’ but it’s just a smart thing to do.

Not victim blaming, just think it’s courtesy.

100% the driver’s fault from that video. Moronic driving

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So it is more important to you then ... and not possibly the actions of the driver of the car. OK (y)
I think I’ve entered some weird parallel universe by mistake to be honest. I’m a cyclist, do not own a car personally. Finding DW’s photo actions unnecessary while 100% agreeing that raising the profile of the danger cyclists face every day on our roads is always important are not mutually exclusive things imho.

And to return the unnecessary sarcasm, I can’t help feeling that the footage of him being thrown across the bonnet of the car is sufficient to make the point without the need for a selfie. 👍

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Because it is his 'legal right' I suppose. Its also his legal right not to bother wearing high viz when cycling through 4 lanes of rush hour roundabout traffic on a murky morning.

Its my legal right to choose to jump into shark-infested waters with 30 kilos of raw chub strapped to my arse. Would I do it though ? Probably not.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Clear video evidence comes to light.

Mejona - YOUR EYES ARE WRONG
Excuse me?

Wizard agrees now with everyone else (me included) that Walker stayed in his lane.

What are you on about? That seemed very targeted.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I think I’ve entered some weird parallel universe by mistake to be honest. I’m a cyclist, do not own a car personally. Finding DW’s photo actions unnecessary while 100% agreeing that raising the profile of the danger cyclists face every day on our roads is always important are not mutually exclusive things imho.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amazing that we had a poster on these boards who flipped his car at low speed and has been suffering shock, trauma and flashbacks since, and yet this guy gets wiped out on a car and people are upset he took a selfie.

Some of you really need to get a bit of perspective, you can actually be giving mental health on one thread then giving a victim if a bad traffic accident stick on this one.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Your first comment was ... "Exactly my thoughts when this story broke, just pathetic imho. In related news, him and Jake Humphries are interchangeable in my mind (generic vanilla ‘go-to’ presenters)"

Which suggests more angst at someone taking a selfie than the serious injury ... added to which you added a comment which maybe shows your bias and the reason for your comment in the first place.
There wasn’t a serious injury thankfully - so that thought wouldn’t have come into his mind surely?
Amazing that we had a poster on these boards who flipped his car at low speed and has been suffering shock, trauma and flashbacks since, and yet this guy gets wiped out on a car and people are upset he took a selfie.

Some of you really need to get a bit of perspective, you can actually be giving mental health on one thread then giving a victim if a bad traffic accident stick on this one.
he’s alright, he wouldn’t be taking photos of himself if he was traumatised… 🤣 I joke, I joke, I’m not getting involved. What’s done is done, all opinions innit.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Your first comment was ... "Exactly my thoughts when this story broke, just pathetic imho. In related news, him and Jake Humphries are interchangeable in my mind (generic vanilla ‘go-to’ presenters)"

Which suggests more angst at someone taking a selfie than the serious injury ... added to which you add a comment which maybe shows your bias and the reason for your comment in the first place.
Oh f*** off you prick

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just think, if Dan Walker HADN'T posted anythng, then NSC would've been deprived yet ANOTHER binfest and subsequent elongated argument that has been done to death numerous times.

That would be very sad so I, for one, welcome the Insta/Twitter exposure :thumbsup:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Sorry for the DM link, just saw it shared on twitter but the video evidence from him being ‘knocked off his bike’ is quite revealing.

Cycling through the middle of a 4 lane round about, changing lane without signalling… all this with a specified cycle lane being ignored.
Typical Daily Mail anti-cyclist slant to the story, of course:

"Dashcam captures moment Dan Walker was knocked out cold when rear wheel of his bike caught car's front wing"

insinuating he was at fault, rather than the driver hitting him from behind, as actually happened...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Typical Daily Mail anti-cyclist slant to the story, of course:

"Dashcam captures moment Dan Walker was knocked out cold when rear wheel of his bike caught car's front wing"

insinuating he was at fault, rather than the driver hitting him from behind, as actually happened...
Daily Mail for you… Clearly the drivers fault and were probably checking mirrors. Wonder if they have to pay for a new bike etc?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

The conundrum that is NSC. Sometimes cruel but mostly very caring, I, for one, enjoy it!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

There are cycle paths around a roundabout?

One another note, the photos are handy for insurance purposes, and the paramedics also confirmed that he was only alive due to wearing a cycling helmet.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Arguably lazy driving but it’s one that has been missed right in the blind spot. I used to jog through this roundabout every morning on the way to work, there’s a bike path for a reason - use it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Arguably lazy driving but it’s one that has been missed right in the blind spot. I used to jog through this roundabout every morning on the way to work, there’s a bike path for a reason - use it.
My car has a blind spot monitor in the wing mirror. Fan bloody tastic extra, I will never buy a new car that doesn’t have one now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here