Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dan Walker: Knocked off bike, lands on face.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
OK. Stills and video clearly show him riding in the centre of the lane, without deviating, and the car coming over into his lane as it enters the roundabout.
The car was behind him and should've seen him....but was probably checking the mirrors for cars, & wasn't expecting a cyclist to be on a busy roundabout.
I totally agree though that he should've used the bike lane / subway to avoid such a busy section of road, & keep himself safe.
Lucky to escape with his life tbh, & bet he wont do it again.
I must confess I’m not sure what you’re looking at, the car hasn’t changed direction dramatically or moved lanes. He’s also not wearing any hi vis at a poorly lit time of day, on a major roundabout at rush hour, plus no arm signal to indicate he’s moving lanes.

0256D9AE-E22C-452E-8F24-2954213EA457.jpeg
3B68C7FD-6A36-4787-A459-B90944590515.jpeg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Errr, can you not see that the car has come from the left lane (as we look at it), and is crossing into the other lane because the on-ramp ends abruptly?
DW makes a small swerve to avoid the car - and maybe he thought he was clear of it as he tries to regain his same position before being hit.
Whatever your thoughts about cyclists in general, I think a lot of the blame can lie with the driver in this one....regardless of whether DW should've been wearing hi vis / used the subway etc (which I agree with you on) Not enough awareness on the drivers part imo.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This literally shows the car moving over the lane line into Dan Walkers occupied lane.

Am I going mad?
Unless I’m seeing it wrong look the lines on the road, the car moves left onto the inside of the lane, Walker moves over before the point of impact. Unless the car moved left, how can he have been the fault of the collision?

In this situation you’d have to guess an insurer would put not much blame on the driver given the cycling is very poorly lit, not wearing a vizzy and is cycling unnecessarily round a main roundabout when there is a specified cycle lane.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Unless I’m seeing it wrong look the lines on the road, the car moves left onto the inside of the lane, Walker moves over before the point of impact. Unless the car moved right, how can he have been the fault of the collision?

In this situation you’d have to guess an insurer would put not much blame on the driver given the cycling is very poorly lit, not wearing a vizzy and is cycling unnecessarily round a main roundabout when there is a specified cycle lane.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pin 'blame' on the driver, even if i believe they technically made the error. I've moved lane before and suddenly thought "Bloody hell I didnt see him". Instantly go cold and wonder what could have happened. If you can have a situation where all parties can walk away relatively unharmed and learn a lesson on their own part at the same time then you have to take that.

I just had to pick up the point that to me, Walker has 100% stuck to his lane so any post saying the footage 'clearly' shows him moving across needed to be corrected.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The Highway Code states:

"You should give priority to cyclists on the roundabout.

They will be travelling more slowly than motorised traffic.

Give them plenty of room and do not attempt to overtake them within their lane. Allow them to move across your path as they travel around the roundabout".

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The Highway Code states:

"You should give priority to cyclists on the roundabout.

They will be travelling more slowly than motorised traffic.

Give them plenty of room and do not attempt to overtake them within their lane. Allow them to move across your path as they travel around the roundabout".
The first picture shows the cycle alongside/marginally in front of the car and the second shows it hitting the NSF, surely this being the case the bike must have actually been going a fair whack.

As far as I can see here the car doesn’t move left at all, in fact it moves more towards the inside of the roundabout, I’m sure the car could have shown more awareness but I can’t see any evidence of him moving into the cyclists path, the still in the first picture makes him appear in the middle of two lanes but naturally when on a roundabout that will happen at some point.

I’m not solely blaming the cyclist, just saying that I don’t agree with the headline of hiM being mowed down or ‘hit’ by a car when the evidence doesn’t show that. I always thought when moving right into the ‘going right’ lane at a roundabout it was the driver/cyclist making the move into that lanes responsibility to judge the gap/speed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Unless I’m seeing it wrong look the lines on the road, the car moves left onto the inside of the lane, Walker moves over before the point of impact. Unless the car moved left, how can he have been the fault of the collision?

You are reading it wrong because the pictures are taken from the rear of a vehicle that is already moving left. Dan has stayed in his lane, rightly imho 'taking the lane' so he is visible. The car that has hit him has crossed lanes.

There is no legal requirement to wear a helmet or hi-vis, he has a light on his bike by the looks of it, he is also under no obligation to use a bike lane and is legally entitled to be on the road.

We need to transform the culture and mindset in this country that it is not okay to hit another road user in a car in any circumstance, and certainly not come up with weak excuses for why it has happened.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I just had to pick up the point that to me, Walker has 100% stuck to his lane so any post saying the footage 'clearly' shows him moving across needed to be corrected.
You're not going mad, he has stayed in the same lane, it's because the car taking the two pictures has moved on in that inside lane. I also note that the car that caused the impact is not indicating and is changing lanes.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And the one of the first things he does is takes a selfie and posts on social media…#getalife
Exactly my thoughts when this story broke, just pathetic imho. In related news, him and Jake Humphries are interchangeable in my mind (generic vanilla ‘go-to’ presenters)

On the positive side, my cycle helmet certainly saved me from a serious head injury or worse a few years ago, so always good to highlight this in the news.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
You are reading it wrong because the pictures are taken from the rear of a vehicle that is already moving left. Dan has stayed in his lane, rightly imho 'taking the lane' so he is visible. The car that has hit him has crossed lanes.

There is no legal requirement to wear a helmet or hi-vis, he has a light on his bike by the looks of it, he is also under no obligation to use a bike lane and is legally entitled to be on the road.

We need to transform the culture and mindset in this country that it is not okay to hit another road user in a car in any circumstance, and certainly not come up with weak excuses for why it has happened.
Precisely. The changes to the Highway Code in January 2022 were very clear about the hierarchy of road users.

Pedestrians are at the top of the list and motorised vehicles at the bottom.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Sorry for the DM link, just saw it shared on twitter but the video evidence from him being ‘knocked off his bike’ is quite revealing.

Cycling through the middle of a 4 lane round about, changing lane without signalling… all this with a specified cycle lane being ignored.
Cripes.

Putting his own life and the lives of other innocent road users at risk.

I'm not sure there is a book they can throw at him through, and he'll get away with it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Exactly my thoughts when this story broke, just pathetic imho. In related news, him and Jake Humphries are interchangeable in my mind (generic vanilla ‘go-to’ presenters)

On the positive side, my cycle helmet certainly saved me from a serious head injury or worse a few years ago, so always good to highlight this in the news.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Taking a selfie in an ambulance. What possible motivation is there to do that? What drives that?
To show him at his absolute worst, so when he is highlighting how vital a helmet was to saving him, it has some clear credibility?

I imagine if, with no pictures, he had said in a statement "I got knocked off my bike, it was really bad but my helmet saved me" people would say "I'm sure it wasn't that bad"

You can't win.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Clear video evidence comes to light.

Mejona - YOUR EYES ARE WRONG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here