[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This. Big foreign money taking over British clubs is now a fact of football life, and it saddens me that a time will come when TB simply isn't rich enough to keep us competitive - and then watch the arguments on here over whether he should welcome foreign partners onto the board as Palace have, or just sell up to a Gulf state.

But the Saudis taking over Newcastle is different. Abu Dhabi and Qatar have, er, mixed records on human rights, but have they dismembered dissident journalists and bombed Yemeni hospitals?

I've always had a reasonably soft spot for Newcastle. Great city, interesting area, hilarious people. But they way so many of the club's fans have unconditionally welcomed the new regime, and wilfully dismissed legitimate objections as jealousy sickens me.

There was a rumour floating around a few years back that the Aussie James Packer, Kerry Packers son may have a silent investment?

Ultimately I trust Bloom to get this right, he is not just a businessman or mere investor, he is first and foremost a fan, he feels the pulse of fellow Albion fans and I'm sure there willl be plenty of people who would make him aware of wider concensus of Albion fans on disreputable/controversial owners like the mid east petro states or Russian Oligarchs.

If Bloom decides a large equity investor would be best for the long term future of the club, I would back his decision. Of course I would always hope that he has at least 51% under his control and remains in effective control of the club, but if it were say 10-20% equity and the investor was deemed sound and could help the longer term aspirations of the club, I'd support it, if Bloom did.

If it were anything where Bloom sold more than 50% or lost effective control, I'd sooner be the PL poor man or go back to the Championship happy in the knowlege the boss man loves the club and has its best interests at heart than take a punt on foreign owners, who after all may sell to even worse or dodgy owners within a few years.

We're blessed to have TB

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He gets to work with the biggest budget in the history of football to completely rebuild Newcastle United, and he also becomes the highest paid DOF on the planet. The ENTIRETY of football knows this is happening. That’s why state backed football clubs are SO divisive.

Edit… wouldn’t be surprised if he’s far and away the most lucratively awarded executive in world football.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Is the skeletor look what happens when you have your morality sucked out?

Its the prequel to Terrahawks. 30 years earlier

View attachment 144985

zelda.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This. Big foreign money taking over British clubs is now a fact of football life, and it saddens me that a time will come when TB simply isn't rich enough to keep us competitive - and then watch the arguments on here over whether he should welcome foreign partners onto the board as Palace have, or just sell up to a Gulf state.

But the Saudis taking over Newcastle is different. Abu Dhabi and Qatar have, er, mixed records on human rights, but have they dismembered dissident journalists and bombed Yemeni hospitals?

I've always had a reasonably soft spot for Newcastle. Great city, interesting area, hilarious people. But they way so many of the club's fans have unconditionally welcomed the new regime, and wilfully dismissed legitimate objections as jealousy sickens me.

Agree with every word of this, especially the final sentence.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yeah but to what extent? Probably a few names of people they have met or heard good things about but are they available? Have they just taken another job elsewhere? Have they just been sacked for sending naughty text messages like Overmars? Are they interested in dropping down/stepping up to BHA?

It would be a huge job to follow every single potential Technical Director in the football world just in case ours moved on - and who is going to have that responsibility? Or, have we reacted to the Ashworth move by promoting Weir and lining up our next steps ?

That's likely why the Argus are reporting we're not in a rush and will see who applies.

It is mad how many people have read a couple of quotes about how wonderful our succession planning is and just assumed that we have a replacement ready to go.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I don’t think that is a realistic expectation of good succession planning. It isn’t a question of having a replacement ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nicely expressed.

Even before they nicked both our Dans, the Newcastle takeover was getting to me more than it probably should have done. It just reinforces the idea that the Premier League isn't a fair competition. Yes, I knew that long before Brighton got promoted, but given the way we've progressed organically since that time, I was starting to kid myself that clubs like ours stood a chance of mixing it with the big boys.

Call me irrational and misguided, but I used to like Newcastle and now I dislike them more than Palace.
We invested quite heavily to get promotion compared to many other championship clubs. You can’t have it both ways.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
"I wanted more wedge and don't give a shit who I work for so long as they give me plenty of wedge".

End of interview. Didn't need the waffle.
Indeed.

Newcastle are guaranteed to win the league many times in the next few years.

There is no challenge in that role. Just loads and loads of cash.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
All this made me think of that supposed Churchill story.
Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?" Woman: "Well, I suppose we could come to some agreement " Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?" Woman: "What kind of woman do you think I am?!" Churchill: "Madam, we've already established what kind of woman you are. Now we are just haggling over the price."

We know what kind of man you are Dan. I would be interested to know what price he sold out for in the end though.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
He leaves with a "heavy heart" and an even heavier bank balance.
With footballers you can kind of understand it as it is quite a short career unless they can't make it in management/coaching, but DA has already had a cash filled career and has many more to go.......he can never say "it's not about the money!!"

Last edited:

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
He leaves with a "heavy heart" and an even heavier bank balance.
With footballers you can kind of understand it as it is quite a short career unless they can't make it in management/coaching, but DA has already had a cash filled career and has many more to go.......he can never say "it's not about the money!!"

Dan Ashworth gets a kick out of building up the infrastructure within a football club. He oversees setting up a football clubs's culture, philosophy, recruitment plans, world class training and medical facilities and he gets a football club's employees pulling in the same direction. He is one of the best at his job of setting up and running world class football operations within a football club.

Dan did this with the England set up at St Georges Park and moved on once his project was completed. He has virtually completed a simialar project at Brighton, and is moving on to a new project. It's his job and what he does. OK. the timing is not perfect but he has been presented with an opportunity too good to turn down if he wants to continue to prove he is the best at his job. He is probably results and achievement driven and not just satisfied with running a care and maintenance operation.

Newcastle is currently a basket case club. League One standard training and medical dacilities. No defined football culture or philosophy. Haphazzard recuitment and a fractured football operation. Dan has the opportunity to build Newcastle into a top class football operation where admittedly money is unlimited. He could also benefit the local community in the same way the owners of Manchester City benefited deprived areas in the city of Manchester.

So, I dont agree with you and many other posters on NSC that for Dan it's probably just all about how much money he can earn. He is a project manager who moves on when a proect he is working on is completed or virtually completed and he wants another challenge.

Like many who have jobs, Dan may not agree with everything his employer stands for. People work for oil and pharmaceutical companies, Bank's, Government Departments, Security Services and many other organisations that can involve themselves in shady and disreputable activities. People like you and me fill up their cars up with oil from Saudi Arabia and buy products and services from Saudi owned companies. That doesn't mean we agree with or condone everything the rulers of Saudia Arabia do.

I don't agree with everything Governments in this country do. Does anyone remember the case of Dr David Kelly being found slumped dead in a wood when he challenged the UK Goverment about there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Many people still doubt his death was suicide.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Dan Ashworth gets a kick out of building up the infrastructure within a football club. He oversees setting up a football clubs's culture, philosophy, recruitment plans, world class training and medical facilities and he gets a football club's employees pulling in the same direction. He is one of the best at his job of setting up and running world class football operations within a football club.

Dan did this with the England set up at St Georges Park and moved on once his project was completed. He has virtually completed a simialar project at Brighton, and is moving on to a new project. It's his job and what he does. OK. the timing is not perfect but he has been presented with an opportunity too good to turn down if he wants to continue to prove he is the best at his job. He is probably results and achievement driven and not just satisfied with running a care and maintenance operation.

Newcastle is currently a basket case club. League One standard training and medical dacilities. No defined football culture or philosophy. Haphazzard recuitment and a fractured football operation. Dan has the opportunity to build Newcastle into a top class football operation where admittedly money is unlimited. He could also benefit the local community in the same way the owners of Manchester City benefited deprived areas in the city of Manchester.

So, I dont agree with you and many other posters on NSC that for Dan it's probably just all about how much money he can earn. He is a project manager who moves on when a proect he is working on is completed or virtually completed and he wants another challenge.

Like many who have jobs, Dan may not agree with everything his employer stands for. People work for oil and pharmaceutical companies, Bank's, Government Departments, Security Services and many other organisations that can involve themselves in shady and disreputable activities. People like you and me fill up their cars up with oil from Saudi Arabia and buy products and services from Saudi owned companies. That doesn't mean we agree with or condone everything the rulers of Saudia Arabia do.

I don't agree with everything Governments in this country do. Does anyone remember the case of Dr David Kelly being found slumped dead in a wood when he challenged the UK Goverment about there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Many people still doubt his death was suicide.

Morning Dan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You make good points

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

DAN :dunky:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Haven't you got gardening to be getting on with ?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Dan did this with the England set up at St Georges Park and moved on once his project was completed. He has virtually completed a simialar project at Brighton, and is moving on to a new project.

Yes he completed the FA project.

He has FAR from completed the Brighton project. In fact I'd say he was only half way through looking at it from the outside.

Hence the rancour from TB, PB and the vast majority of the fans.

If he'd finished 'project Brighton', then there would be sadness but no hard feelings. He didn't, hasn't and so there is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports