Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dan Ashworth gets a kick out of building up the infrastructure within a football club. He oversees setting up a football clubs's culture, philosophy, recruitment plans, world class training and medical facilities and he gets a football club's employees pulling in the same direction. He is one of the best at his job of setting up and running world class football operations within a football club.

Dan did this with the England set up at St Georges Park and moved on once his project was completed. He has virtually completed a simialar project at Brighton, and is moving on to a new project. It's his job and what he does. OK. the timing is not perfect but he has been presented with an opportunity too good to turn down if he wants to continue to prove he is the best at his job. He is probably results and achievement driven and not just satisfied with running a care and maintenance operation.

Newcastle is currently a basket case club. League One standard training and medical dacilities. No defined football culture or philosophy. Haphazzard recuitment and a fractured football operation. Dan has the opportunity to build Newcastle into a top class football operation where admittedly money is unlimited. He could also benefit the local community in the same way the owners of Manchester City benefited deprived areas in the city of Manchester.

So, I dont agree with you and many other posters on NSC that for Dan it's probably just all about how much money he can earn. He is a project manager who moves on when a proect he is working on is completed or virtually completed and he wants another challenge.

Like many who have jobs, Dan may not agree with everything his employer stands for. People work for oil and pharmaceutical companies, Bank's, Government Departments, Security Services and many other organisations that can involve themselves in shady and disreputable activities. People like you and me fill up their cars up with oil from Saudi Arabia and buy products and services from Saudi owned companies. That doesn't mean we agree with or condone everything the rulers of Saudia Arabia do.

I don't agree with everything Governments in this country do. Does anyone remember the case of Dr David Kelly being found slumped dead in a wood when he challenged the UK Goverment about there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Many people still doubt his death was suicide.

There is no challenge at Newcastle - he can put his feet up and watch them inevitably winning the league in a couple of years time - whilst counting his cash.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
interesting to see the different opinions on Dan A and Dan B, both of whom have been poached by the same regime.

There is next to no chance of Newcastle coming in for either under the old regime, both have said they had no intention of leaving and it was Newcastle who made all the approaches

So effectively there is no difference between the two, both have been poached by the club waving the money bag, the fact that by an accident of Birth Dan B has links to the area is immaterial-thats not why he was approached

Arguably Dan A has been a bigger asset to the Club than Dan B, and while his going will take longer to notice, it will probably be of greater impact than that of Dan B

Personally I am disappointed that either of them have left the club, but it is double standards to heap best wishes on one, and vitriol on the other

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Dan Ashworth gets a kick out of building up the infrastructure within a football club. He oversees setting up a football clubs's culture, philosophy, recruitment plans, world class training and medical facilities and he gets a football club's employees pulling in the same direction. He is one of the best at his job of setting up and running world class football operations within a football club.

Dan did this with the England set up at St Georges Park and moved on once his project was completed. He has virtually completed a simialar project at Brighton, and is moving on to a new project. It's his job and what he does. OK. the timing is not perfect but he has been presented with an opportunity too good to turn down if he wants to continue to prove he is the best at his job. He is probably results and achievement driven and not just satisfied with running a care and maintenance operation.

Newcastle is currently a basket case club. League One standard training and medical dacilities. No defined football culture or philosophy. Haphazzard recuitment and a fractured football operation. Dan has the opportunity to build Newcastle into a top class football operation where admittedly money is unlimited. He could also benefit the local community in the same way the owners of Manchester City benefited deprived areas in the city of Manchester.

So, I dont agree with you and many other posters on NSC that for Dan it's probably just all about how much money he can earn. He is a project manager who moves on when a proect he is working on is completed or virtually completed and he wants another challenge.

Like many who have jobs, Dan may not agree with everything his employer stands for. People work for oil and pharmaceutical companies, Bank's, Government Departments, Security Services and many other organisations that can involve themselves in shady and disreputable activities. People like you and me fill up their cars up with oil from Saudi Arabia and buy products and services from Saudi owned companies. That doesn't mean we agree with or condone everything the rulers of Saudia Arabia do.

I don't agree with everything Governments in this country do. Does anyone remember the case of Dr David Kelly being found slumped dead in a wood when he challenged the UK Goverment about there being weapons of mass destruction in Iraq? Many people still doubt his death was suicide.

If its not about the money why not Portsmouth or a club with many fewer resources??? Surely this would be a real challenge and prove, if that is really necessary after all of the successes you have outlined, his skills in the field.

I do agree that unless complete research is done on all the personnel involved in the syndicate, it cannot be assumed that their wealth was accumulated from nefarious methods. The Saudi citizens cannot be blamed for the laws imposed upon them, in the same way I take no blame for the criminality imposed on Iraq by the Bliar government.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
What about a cheeky request to speak to Ralf Rangnick while we're at Old Trafford tonight? He's better known as a club builder than a head coach and might fancy the challenge of continuing Dan Ashworth's work at the Albion rather than splashing the Glazers' cash at Cold Trafford.

Plus there's the pull of a return to his Sussex footballing roots ...

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What about a cheeky request to speak to Ralf Rangnick while we're at Old Trafford tonight? He's better known as a club builder than a head coach and might fancy the challenge of continuing Dan Ashworth's work at the Albion rather than splashing the Glazers' cash at Cold Trafford.

Plus there's the pull of a return to his Sussex footballing roots ...

He's contracted to be doing that job at Utd. Not likely

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
interesting to see the different opinions on Dan A and Dan B, both of whom have been poached by the same regime.

There is next to no chance of Newcastle coming in for either under the old regime, both have said they had no intention of leaving and it was Newcastle who made all the approaches

So effectively there is no difference between the two, both have been poached by the club waving the money bag, the fact that by an accident of Birth Dan B has links to the area is immaterial-thats not why he was approached

Arguably Dan A has been a bigger asset to the Club than Dan B, and while his going will take longer to notice, it will probably be of greater impact than that of Dan B

Personally I am disappointed that either of them have left the club, but it is double standards to heap best wishes on one, and vitriol on the other

It might not be why he was approached, but it is a big part of the reason as to why he wanted to go. And that is the difference, fans have been happy to accept that the pull of playing for your team and, presumably, returning to the area you grew up in and being near family again makes the decision to join Newcastle for Dan B an emotional one. For Dan A he has none of those pulls, just money.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sounds like the Saudi government are after Jon morling too. If it was possible to hate them anymore…

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds like the Saudi government are after Jon morling too. If it was possible to hate them anymore…

:ffsparr:

The problem is - the club were vocal about not standing in the way of staff if approached with other opportunities. So we've sent a precedent for Ashworth to cherry pick the staff he wants to take up there

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
F*ck it, why don't they just buy the club and cut out the middle man?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:ffsparr:

The problem is - the club were vocal about not standing in the way of staff if approached with other opportunities. So we've sent a precedent for Ashworth to cherry pick the staff he wants to take up there

But given Dan Ashworth is on gardening leave, and will have no doubt signed a NDA with Brighton, did Newcastle come to the idea they’d like Dan’s back room staff completely independently of Dan? Unlikely I'd say, and therefore I presume this breaches the leave and/or NDA?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But given Dan Ashworth is on gardening leave, and will have no doubt signed a NDA with Brighton, did Newcastle come to the idea they’d like Dan’s back room staff completely independently of Dan? Unlikely I'd say, and therefore I presume this breaches the leave and/or NDA?

can we give him a full frontal lobotomy just before he finishes GL? :lolol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Not sure a settlement agreement / employment contract or NDA would prevent this happening though. And I guess there is things in employment law that say Brighton can stop a member of staff going to work for someone else without good reason. And any of this leads to a court case any way which I doubt the club would want

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure a settlement agreement / employment contract or NDA would prevent this happening though. And I guess there is things in employment law that say Brighton can stop a member of staff going to work for someone else without good reason. And any of this leads to a court case any way which I doubt the club would want

I'm no expert on this, but non-solicitiation clauses are legal in the UK. We obvipusly do not know if DA had one in his contract, but Bloom seems a shrewd person who is keen to protect his assets so I presume he would have.

I guess we will find out soon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm no expert on this, but non-solicitiation clauses are legal in the UK.

Agreed - but Ashworth hasn't taken the job yet. And you'd need to prove that Ashworth co-ordinated it, rather than Newcastle doing off their own back. Perhaps all this negotiation / settlement stuff is providing a window of opportunity for Newcastle to approach others until Ashworth takes the job - if such an agreement is in place

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I wonder if this little report is Newcastle playing hardball. "Fine, don't release Ashworth and we'll unsettle your other assets too".

Maybe. Or maybe they just want him because he's good.

Bugger.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'm no expert on this, but non-solicitiation clauses are legal in the UK. We obvipusly do not know if DA had one in his contract, but Bloom seems a shrewd person who is keen to protect his assets.

Though you'd have to doubt the prevalence of non-solicitation clauses for coaching/playing staff in the football industry. Otherwise, when Potter came to Brighton then Bjorn and Billy would have had to have stayed behind for a while. I'd imagine that this is expected behaviour when losing someone of importance (director of football/technical director, manager/head coach) and it will be, like for Ashworth, a question of how much are Newcastle willing to pay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here