Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dame Vera Lynn

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
There's a tribute show on BBC1 tonight to her @ 7.30. I'm not sure that I dare watch it though - to me she was everything that's good about England. No scandals about her, happily married and was what I'd call an honest performer - when I heard her sing I always felt that she was projecting her own honest decent personality. No scandals either, England has lost an icon today

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
This photo wins the internet today. She had a great voice. Must have been quite a gig with Hawkwind on the same stage!

Hawkwind-Vera.jpg

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Legend is so often far to freely given but in Dame Viras case its possibly underplaying her contribution to not only the war effort but for the rest of her life she dedicated her time to the cause of ex service personnel and their families while always being the very essence of an English lady living for many years in Ditchling Sussex and the rest of Britain has lost an icon

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Post removed by moderator. Please stick to the subject.

Please PM detailing why this was not sticking to subject? It quite specifically referenced that the quite fitting outpouring of grief and associated tributes to Dame Vera could easily be forgotten by many in an instant if it suited. To reference that assertion I made reference to captain Tom and briefly mentioned events that I believed showed him a lack of respect.

The brief mention of those events invited no further specific comment on them. And how I phrased my observations I don't feel would have dragged anyone off topic to any great degree.

Hawkeye style moderating ;)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
In the mid-80s the 10th combined with the 4th Brighton to make a single football team. The 4th were an 'interesting' group of lads who were known as the 'Millwall' of the league. There were 6 Vinnie Jones in the team plus whoever turned up from the 10th.

:lol:

We were so small it was ridiculous haha We dreaded any sports competitions

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Legend is so often far to freely given but in Dame Viras case its possibly underplaying her contribution to not only the war effort but for the rest of her life she dedicated her time to the cause of ex service personnel and their families while always being the very essence of an English lady living for many years in Ditchling Sussex and the rest of Britain has lost an icon

Very true - and don't forget her huge Charity efforts locally in Sussex (Ingfield Manor at Billingshurst and The Dame Vera Lynn Children's Charity, based in Haywards Heath)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
OK. I'll try again. We are obsessed and perhaps rightly so. I too share this: my dad fought in the war; my uncle returned from the war with mental health problems; my mum was evacuated from London during the Blitz; for goodness sake, my granny was locked in the toilet following a bomb dropping on St Andrew's Road (Worthing)! I've gone on guided tours of the Normandy beaches and have several shelves full of books on the war.

So I've got my credentials of respect; it's just that Dame Vera's death will become today's big story when there might be more crucial matters to dwell on. That's all.

Wed 17th June....BBC Six O'Clock News.....lead story......the return of the Premier League.
Thurs 18th June..BBC Six O'Clock News.....lead story......the passing of Vera Lynn.

I'll let you decide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here