Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dame Vera Lynn

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Completely inappropriate comment, the reason we are 'obsessed' with the 2nd World War was that our lives today would be unrecognisable and appalling had we lost.

OK. I'll try again. We are obsessed and perhaps rightly so. I too share this: my dad fought in the war; my uncle returned from the war with mental health problems; my mum was evacuated from London during the Blitz; for goodness sake, my granny was locked in the toilet following a bomb dropping on St Andrew's Road (Worthing)! I've gone on guided tours of the Normandy beaches and have several shelves full of books on the war.

So I've got my credentials of respect; it's just that Dame Vera's death will become today's big story when there might be more crucial matters to dwell on. That's all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sad day, for us all.

R.I.P Dame Vera Lynn

You will be welcomed with open arms by all those that have gone before, our generation will never really know the impact you had during the second world war, but I do know my grandparents adored you, and that is enough for me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sad as she was an admirable lady (and a local). But now await the media gush-fest, feeding our collective national obsession with the 2nd World War.

To learn from history we have to remember history. Remembering isn't obsession.

EDIT - and of course, RIP Vera who of course recently supported Captain Tom. Both heros back during the war and now.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Guys, please, start another thread, but let's not argue and politicise this one, please.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
National obsession is a tad harsh I feel, are you saying we should forget then!, we have had some significant anniversaries lately and will in the future so all the more important that we should be kept reminded of the sacrifices made. Dame Vera touched a cord with so many at the time and will always be remembered for the hope she gave to our forces abroad.

RIP Vera.

Whilst I agree with you, there is, as GNT says a bit of an obsession with a small minority, for all the wrong reasons. I'd like to think that was what he was referring to. . .the kind of nationalists who protect monuments and statues by pissing on them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Guys, please, start another thread, but let's not argue and politicise this one, please.

This

Whilst I agree with you, there is, as GNT says a bit of an obsession with a small minority, for all the wrong reasons. I'd like to think that was what he was referring to. . .the kind of nationalists who protect monuments and statues by pissing on them.

Please stop

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Goodness me you really let yourself down at times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RIP - outstanding age to reach for an outstanding woman. It's difficult for us (post-war people) to appreciate the positive/galvanising effect she had during the war but if you speak to many who did experience the war you'll understand a bit more about why she was held in such high esteem by them....which carried through to later generations.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I knew a Burma Veteran who sadly died last year, who held Dame Vera in the highest esteem, he said she went out to Burma to entertain the boys out there. Before she went, nobody else would go.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Sad as she was an admirable lady (and a local). But now await the media gush-fest, feeding our collective national obsession with the 2nd World War.

If you are right, we will have the football matches this weekend start with a minutes silence to Vera, followed by the referee playing “the white cliffs of Dover” on his whistle while the players gently and reverently wheel round him (socially distant) with their arms outstretched taking on the forms of hurricanes and spitfires as a moving tribute to Vera and the generation that fought fascism she so inspired.

I reckon it will be another tribute though.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here