Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens appreciation thread

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Dale-Stephens1.jpg

I know there's another thread on him, but I thought this might be more fitting.
Brilliant player for us, along with the king and later Sids, gave us the platform to get promotion and, in no small part, helped keep us up.
Could have gone up to the prem early but was convinced to stay with us for one more year, and he got us up with the rest of them.
Always put his body on the line, keeping it simple, and helped us dominate the midfield battles.
We're only in this great position because of players like himself getting us promoted. Standing on the shoulders and all that.
Thanks, hopefully, we get to see you around the club in some capacity because I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge there if required.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One of most important and best players when Burnley tried to prise him away. His reputation has been somewhat tarnished, which I get, but an Albion legend for me along with quite a few players who fell out of favour once we got to the PL.

I was a big fan, he was great for us.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Solid and dependable. A significant part of our recent history.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
He was really important for us. I noticed his pleasure at the promotion celebrations when supporters were chanting for him to stay! Pity he has ended his career at 33... surely could have done a job for some league club. Was it injury?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was really important for us. I noticed his pleasure at the promotion celebrations when supporters were chanting for him to stay! Pity he has ended his career at 33... surely could have done a job for some league club. Was it injury?
There is another thread that catalogues his woes.

The club refusing to entertain Bumley's interest was one of the first bits of 'Hard Tony' which has resurfaced again, particularly over Moises. My recollection was that Dale was disinclined to put in a transfer request (which would have affected his signing on finances), but did so at the last minute when it was too late. All soon forgotten and his performances were soon back to normal.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Had a knee injury apparently which has factored into his decision to retire.

Vital player for us in that promotion side and then the team that stayed up in the PL. Scored possibly the lowest overhead kick ever seen in a game against QPR (40 seconds into video below). Obviously we will gloss over his Rameriz murder.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is another thread that catalogues his woes.

The club refusing to entertain Bumley's interest was one of the first bits of 'Hard Tony' which has resurfaced again, particularly over Moises. My recollection was that Dale was disinclined to put in a transfer request (which would have affected his signing on finances), but did so at the last minute when it was too late. All soon forgotten and his performances were soon back to normal.
I remember reading something like “Dale Stephens who is not happy with his transfer request being turned down stormed out of the training centre in his Porsche Cayenne” :smile:

Got his head down straight away and was a big part in us reaching the PL. I wish him well, thanks Dale :bowdown:

levs

Jul 10, 2017
View attachment 158892

I know there's another thread on him, but I thought this might be more fitting.
Brilliant player for us, along with the king and later Sids, gave us the platform to get promotion and, in no small part, helped keep us up.
Could have gone up to the prem early but was convinced to stay with us for one more year, and he got us up with the rest of them.
Always put his body on the line, keeping it simple, and helped us dominate the midfield battles.
We're only in this great position because of players like himself getting us promoted. Standing on the shoulders and all that.
Thanks, hopefully, we get to see you around the club in some capacity because I'm sure there's a wealth of knowledge there if required.

Some great memories in there, thanks for posting. Fantastic player for us, an arguably the best centre midfielder in the championship in our time there. There was a time, around our second season in the prem, when I thought I could be in with a shout for an England cap, especially when dross players like Jake Livermore were being called up.

Loved the goals against Middleborough and Burnley at the back post, crucial part of the season and both seemed impossible angles to score from.

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I will always remember Dale for two key Albion moments. In the 2016 Middlesbrough away promotion decider. He got the equaliser and then 4 minutes later getting stitched up by Rameriez tiny pads and Mike Dean double act! In the long run the best thing to happen to us but hurt at the time. The other is that long raking ball he played to Knockhaert when he scored that top bins wonder goal at Selhurst. The celebration photo is one of my all time favourites

Attachments

• crybri.jpg
    crybri.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 25

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here