Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dad to be help! To renew or not to renew.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Others here say that if you give it up, then it might be an issue later when you want a ST again,as she would be used to you not going - good advice, I think. I used to do my bit with junior, so that is was all fair ie have child in the morning before a match and take to swing park etc again on sunday morning, so that both parties get a well-earned rest. Much as you love your kid(s) it is important to have a break - the Albion would do it for you. Wonderful time for you -it was for me 40 years ago! - and very good wish.

Totally agree with the issues when you want to go again. Mini sock is 5 next month and I have up my season ticket the end of the season before he was due to be born. It's now got to the stage that if I want to go I have t give plenty of notice and she gets a bit shirty. I live in Reading which doesn't help, and she had just got a new job that involves working weekends occasionally but I need football in my life!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He was given the baby full kit as a present yesterday and wow it is adorable!! Made me feel proud seeing him in his first kit! Socks and all!
Can't wait to see posts on NSC from 'Chicken Nugget' slagging off the team!

Joke. I hadn't seen this thread before so my belated congratulations. Get ready for heartbreak though. I took my daughter to the Goldstone, Priestfield, Withdean, away games at places like Southend and Lincoln - she now lives in Manchester and supports Man U!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
4 months in:

I've basically started going straight to matches as late as possible (I can leave Fishersgate after 2pm and still make kick off) and curtailing the extended post-match drinking sessions. In fact for most recent matches I've gone straight back home as well. Only fair cause I'm at work all week.

Also the baby doesn't seem to want to ****ing sleep at all at night. But she's still the best thing ever.

All your mates think you're suddenly under the thumb, whereas the reality is you're so bloody tired you just want to get to bed when you can!

Congrats by the way. Anyone who says it gets easier is just trying to make you feel better.:wink:

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Blimey! I'd forgotten about this thread.

Rowan was born on 3 July and has to be the most amazing achievement of my life.

I kept my ST, although I have to try to limit the amount of time I'm out on a Saturday (bit difficult when you have a cousin who loves to get as much real ale down his neck as he can!).

Broken sleep is a bit of a pain, but you have to just get on with it and remember sometimes you may have cross words with your partner, but it's just generally tiredness that's to blame. A smile from my son is all I need to remind me that it's all worthwhile.

At the end of the day we have a wonderful four month old to enjoy and when he's older he'll be coming to the Amex with me!

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
You won't actually spend anymore money because you'll go out a lot less (like hardly at all!) because you'll be too knackered and so any additional expenditure on nappies and baby stuff will be paid for with the money you aren't paying for on meals out, drinking, cinema, theatre, new clothes etc. etc.

I have 3 now, but with my first weekends were pretty important a) for me to do the whole father thing after a week at work, and b) vital for the wife who needed her own break from the baby after a full week of it. That said it's not like it's every Saturday and given you'll probably go out less as above, then an ST might still be a perfect way to keep some of your old life going!

Agree with this expecially the money side of things My wife and I first due in December when we were looking at financaes it became obvious the £300 - £400 we spend a month on going out etc would easily be enough to cover the extra child expenses as we realise we will not be going out twice a week for meals or out on a friday evening to the pub.It is still important for both of you to have that bit of me time also.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not read the whole thread but I am in the same boat but a lot sooner (13th Jan!). I am more or less knocking the aways on the head, but I have to say giving up the ST never entered my head.

It's 40 quid a month, probably only 16 out of 52 Saturdays, and you don't NEED to spend any more cash or be out of the house for much longer than 2-6pm (presuming you live in sussex).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My advice for what it is worth if you can afford to buy the ST and you do not live 200 miles from the ground so away from early to late Saturday I would buy it as it will give you a little time to yourself and you can then look after the baby on Sunday to allow your wife a break. You both wont realise it but you will need a little respite and non children adult company occasionally as time goes on.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Trust me, the football will be a welcome relief from everything when the baby arrives, just make sure the Mrs gets the odd afternoon off too.

Certainly no reason to cancel the season ticket.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I baby sit Friday night and do all the care in until half one when I leave for football. Then leave straight after the match.

That way she can have a night out and the hang over. And I get my football we are both happy.

Most of the time he sleeps at night between midnight and six am. But not always! 9weeks old today!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here