Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dad to be help! To renew or not to renew.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
I was in same boat as we had a baby in May. I kept my season ticket as I still needed 'me' time. When Albion are away the other half has the opportunity for her time. The Palace play off game was hard work staying awake for!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
1st child - kept season ticket

2nd child - kept season ticket, but didn't go much

3rd child - no ruddy chance *sobs*

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If you can afford it then keep your season ticket. You need some freetime and so does your missus so return the favor as much as possible.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Cheers guys, going to renew and think pay it off in one go! If I cant go then see if a friend can take it. Means we get one more little Albion fan and Daddy gets to see the games.

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes. I am sure the next few months are going to be a mixture of emotions.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Surrey Jim Jnr was born last year. So far I have attended games however I do miss seeing the lad when I'm at a match. Unfortunately week days I'm generally off to work before he is up and he is just finishing bath/ off to bed when I get home. That said football is the only time I get to see my friends.

Next season I won't be renewing my STH. Mrs Surrey Jim is back to work after the summer and to get the money will be working Saturdays. For me it's too expensive to have a STH and pay for a babysitter each home game. For evening matches and ones I can attend, I will just buy match by match. The Amex never sells out now so cannot see it being an issue. I also rarely do away games so don't need the points having a ST gives you.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So when is the mother going to be able to swan off every other week or so for an afternoon, leaving you to cope with everything. Buying a season ticket for yourself only sounds rather one-sided, selfish and sexist to me.

Man up to your new responsibilites.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The best thing you can do is make sure that your wife gets time away from the baby too. So if you are going to go to footie every other week, make sure she gets to go off on her own as well. Particularly if you work long hours during the week or work away from home.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You definitely need me time, listening to the radio is no substitute for the real thing and you would soon be yearning for the Amex again. All my 3 boys now 22,26,29 respectively and they were all taken at a very early age along to the Goldstone and two still going

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
My first child is due in June- which is really exciting.

I thought about it and I think I am going to keep my season ticket on. A few of my mates have young kids and although they sometimes have to nip off sharpish at the end they have valued having a little bit of Harvey's flavoured calm every other week or so.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Depends on working hours. A friend of mine played national league hockey, but due to his lengthy commute, he gave it up his great love to be around more if that was what was needed. I'd imagine the weekend would be a godsend for a mother spending 0700 - 1700 (estimation) alone with the child.

I'd give it up personally. Plenty of seats available on the spur of the moment if the situation allows it. Will you go to all games? I expect not.

I'm sure you can pick up some sort of season ticket deal once you are up and running if you want to commit.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely a lot depends on what your match day experience is. If it is going to the pub at 12, making your way to the ground, another at halftime and then on for the evening session then perhaps all you need to do is refine that a little, ie turn up at the ground, pint at half time (maybe one before) and then home at full time! Also might need to compromise by keeping the season ticket but not going to the away games.

My daughter was born on a Friday morning. The night before, I was at Withdean watching us beat Swindon in the play-off semi. First weekend home from hospital was the play-off final and I therefore missed it. Still, the bonus now is that my daughter has her own season ticket. By the way, I kept my season ticket.

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
My advice would be to spend your "credits" wisely. Believe me, the freedom you once enjoyed will be long gone, that said very much in a good way - what better way to spend time than with your kids..

However there are going to be times when you need to get out.

Going to the football probably uses up your credits, meaning a quick beer or more becomes more difficult to negotiate. Regardless of what she will say now.

My recommendation would be to ditch the ST, plan the odd decent game here and there and get more variety in. Although Brighton v Barnsley might be attractive to some, getting on it with the boys is sometimes what is needed over watching the Albion.

Just my opinion.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I had a season ticket at Gillingham and Withdean but when my first came along I stopped it as I work big hours and wanted to pick and choose games and spend time with my new family. I think it was a good decision. I got to go to most games anyway. The only issue was that after nine seasons with a season ticket my loyalty level at the Amex was the same as the JCL's!

The time is precious and some things are bigger than football.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was abroad when my Mrs was pregnant with our first & we were still at Withdean. We came home to have him and I didn't go to more than the odd game for two years. Weirdly though my Mrs was ok with me going away as well. Now I have two kids aways are a no no. She did let me go to all home games though so long as I don't go away and I can afford it.

That's a long winded way of saying budget, plan and compromise. If you can afford the DD then stick with it but make sure you can give something back. Maybe be primary carer on Sundays or work a bit more from home if you can? Or have one less beer and get her a little something in town.? Or go to one game in two & share the cost.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
in the same boat , got my first baby due april and we just brought a house , but i cant get rid of my season ticket is in my blood the wife know this, i will cut down the away days only done 4 this season since i found were having a baby,

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
My first child is due in June- which is really exciting.

I thought about it and I think I am going to keep my season ticket on. A few of my mates have young kids and although they sometimes have to nip off sharpish at the end they have valued having a little bit of Harvey's flavoured calm every other week or so.

Exactly.

Every two weeks you'll need, and deserve a couple of hours to yourself

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Surrey Jim Jnr was born last year. So far I have attended games however I do miss seeing the lad when I'm at a match. Unfortunately week days I'm generally off to work before he is up and he is just finishing bath/ off to bed when I get home. That said football is the only time I get to see my friends.

Next season I won't be renewing my STH. Mrs Surrey Jim is back to work after the summer and to get the money will be working Saturdays. For me it's too expensive to have a STH and pay for a babysitter each home game. For evening matches and ones I can attend, I will just buy match by match. The Amex never sells out now so cannot see it being an issue. I also rarely do away games so don't need the points having a ST gives you.

This....but DumLum jnr.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
We had our first child about halfway though the first Amex season and she just turned two this week, I've kept my season ticket. Mind you, so has the missus! Finding babysitters every other week can be quite stressful mind...evening games we take it in turns and sell the other seat. I would say if you can afford to keep your ST then do so, you need a bit of time out occasionally...

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I have my first baby due in August also. We haven't spoken about it yet but I shall be keeping my ST. I've been going to football on a Saturday since before we met, has been part of our lives since we met and shall probably continue to be. I shall see how things to really.

I'm imagining it shall be me to take over baby duties as soon as I'm home from work during the week and all day Sundays to give the missus the break she will need as well. In all honesty I will more than likely only go to localish away games instead of the hikes up north that I do now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here