Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] D1rty N0rtherner/S0uthern S0ftie

Term "D1rty n0therner" or S0uthern s0ftie is this offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No

Votes: 86 92.5%
  • I sit on fences

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I’ve never heard the expression “dirty northern” without the b-word afterwards.

Southerners often use the word “soft” about themselves.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Went to Crawley v Carlisle today (2-5) Crawley look like they are going down, 4-0 down after 38 minutes, it honestly could've been double figures had Carlisle not taken their foot of the gas.
MY QUESTION HERE IS: are the terms D1rty N0rtherner/S0uthern S0ftie just acceptable football banter or offensive? Couldn't believe a steward asking a fan to refrain from "D1rty N0rtherner" as his wife is from up Norff. So when does banter become offensive? A N0rtherner (or S0utherner) are not to my best knowledge protected terms etc. Seemed rather OTT to me.
How's the hangover this morning? I can recommend a Berocca and a cheeky wank if you're still suffering.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
I’ve never heard the expression “dirty northern” without the b-word afterwards.

Southerners often use the word “soft” about themselves.
Song "The Manchester Rambler - I'm a rambler from Manchester way, I take all my pleasures the hard northern way" So even pleasure is hard. Ergo, north hard, south soft

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
As a southerner who lives in the north, it is a stupid, vacuous remark and not true in the slightest.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Song "The Manchester Rambler - I'm a rambler from Manchester way, I take all my pleasures the hard northern way" So even pleasure is hard. Ergo, north hard, south soft
Yeah, I get the hard/soft thing, but the accusation was that northerners are dirty, which isn’t true.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I just thank God they built the bypass and rescued Mile Oak, Hangleton, Goldstone Valley, Withdean, Westdene, Patcham, Hollingbury, Coldean, Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk etc or some of my best mates would be northerners

All north of the OSR :wink:
I must be considered a virtual Eskimo by some Brightonians on here, considering where l live.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As a southerner who lives in the north, it is a stupid, vacuous remark and not true in the slightest.
Which bit - the dirty northerners, or the softie southerners?

I heard myself on a podcast not long ago - I hadn't realised how southern I still sound, thought I had blended a bit more than that!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Which bit - the dirty northerners, or the softie southerners?

I heard myself on a podcast not long ago - I hadn't realised how southern I still sound, thought I had blended a bit more than that!
Both

I was accused of sounding "northern" by a relative recently, which was a gross insult, although I have lived up here for four decades.

The locals think I sound "posh" which is equally untrue.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Both

I was accused of sounding "northern" by a relative recently, which was a gross insult, although I have lived up here for four decades.

The locals think I sound "posh" which is equally untrue.
Yeah. Suffered with that. Up here Im a southerner (lived here for 25 years) but down south they think I sound like a northerner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here