Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] D1rty N0rtherner/S0uthern S0ftie

Term "D1rty n0therner" or S0uthern s0ftie is this offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No

Votes: 86 92.5%
  • I sit on fences

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Went to Crawley v Carlisle today (2-5) Crawley look like they are going down, 4-0 down after 38 minutes, it honestly could've been double figures had Carlisle not taken their foot of the gas.
MY QUESTION HERE IS: are the terms D1rty N0rtherner/S0uthern S0ftie just acceptable football banter or offensive? Couldn't believe a steward asking a fan to refrain from "D1rty N0rtherner" as his wife is from up Norff. So when does banter become offensive? A N0rtherner (or S0utherner) are not to my best knowledge protected terms etc. Seemed rather OTT to me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed, the furthest flung outpost of northern Sussex. Any further north and you would be in Scot . . . sorry, Surrey.
There's further north? oh my, that must be grim.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to Crawley v Carlisle today (2-5) Crawley look like they are going down, 4-0 down after 38 minutes, it honestly could've been double figures had Carlisle not taken their foot of the gas.
MY QUESTION HERE IS: are the terms D1rty N0rtherner/S0uthern S0ftie just acceptable football banter or offensive? Couldn't believe a steward asking a fan to refrain from "D1rty N0rtherner" as his wife is from up Norff. So when does banter become offensive? A N0rtherner (or S0utherner) are not to my best knowledge protected terms etc. Seemed rather OTT to me.
Only part that is offensive is your spelling !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I just thank God they built the bypass and rescued Mile Oak, Hangleton, Goldstone Valley, Withdean, Westdene, Patcham, Hollingbury, Coldean, Moulsecoomb, Whitehawk etc or some of my best mates would be northerners

All north of the OSR :wink:

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If it’s offensive it’s mild and should be accepted and responded to with giving shit back 🤷🏻‍♂️ Can’t ban everything or there will be nothing left.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
MY QUESTION HERE IS: are the terms D1rty N0rtherner/S0uthern S0ftie just acceptable football banter or offensive? So when does banter become offensive?
It becomes offensive when the Man tells you it's offensive.
Ergo, prior to this, everything is inoffensive.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If it’s intended as banter, it’s banter.
if it’s said/sung with malice, it’s just……. Funny And pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here