Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist Vs Taxi

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Regardless, the cyclist is in the wrong and putting himself in danger by attempting an illegal maneuver.
Yes, the taxi driver could have (and perhaps should have) been more vigilant, but with regards to law, insurance claims and in court, the cyclist would be seen at fault.

I don't agree that the cyclist performed an illegal manoeuvre. The parts of the highway code that are legal requirements are the parts which state that you MUST do or not do something. Both parties have broken advisory rules, acted dangerously, and would share blame.

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. See an explanation of the abbreviations.

Although failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is really wrong here is that regardless of whose fault it was, surely if you are involved in knocking someone off their bike, your first concern is their wellbeing, not whose fault it is!? It wasn't a hard hit, but could easily end up with a broken collar bone or something. Just check he's all right, then have a go at him if you feel the need.

The cyclist is in error, but still, you're a professional user of a shared road and despite frustration at cyclists on your inside, you should be checking your mirrors.

Meanwhile at the junction of Old Shoreham Road and Sackville Road, I have yet to see a driver of a motorised vehicle not jump any of the phases of lights on that junction. Incredible how late some drivers are going. I'm sat waiting patiently on my bike by the way wondering why the perception is only cyclists jumping lights!? :shrug: I then saw a van overtake a car on the Old Shoreham Road outside BHASVIC while going over the zebra crossing speed bump before jumping the lights to go left into Dyke Road. Incredible. But people get more wound up about cyclists apparently...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've looked at it a few times now... does it appear that the taxi indicted very late (almost as the cyclist was parallel with it)?
Is the right answer, indicating was very much as last resort AFTER starting to turn.
The cyclist didn't stand a chance, but he shouldn't have been there anyway so a long way from blameless.

This cyclist was equally reckless:-

SAC

May 21, 2014
Awful to see that so many people think that it's ok for a driver to turn left without checking that it is safe to do so.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Awful to see that so many people think that it's ok for a driver to turn left without checking that it is safe to do so.

Even worse that the usual suspects think it's ok to knock a cyclist off his bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This cyclist is just laying in the road, asking for trouble:-

If only there was one of those safe bus or cycle lanes for him to cycle in.

Oh..

From all the on-street parking that is going on, it seems to be a part-time bus lane (or, to be more precise, NOT a bus lane at all at the time of the incident). And, if it's not a bus lane, then it's incredibly unhelpful to suggest to cyclists and other road users that it is a cycle lane.

At least Brighton and Hove has decreed that bus lanes in the city are 24/7 bus lanes. This avoids the inherent dangers that many London bus lanes present to cyclists, especially when confusing arrangements are made to share some of the road space some of the time.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You mean he clearly didn't see the taxi starting indicating when he was already past the indicator and after it had started making the turn?! Shame on him.

True, but you know when you undertake in a situation like that you're at risk. Always best to overtake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here