Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist Vs Taxi

Can someone clarify something, are you allowed to overtake\undertake when you're on the zig zag lines approaching a pedestrian crossing?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Clearly the cyclist should have gone slower but the driver did not indicate or look until the point of turning. Clearly he is as blind as half the people on here blaming the cyclist.

In that situation of a very busy road, do you think a cyclist should ride down the middle in between cars and buses going in opposite directions? I think it would be saver on the inside as long as you are careful.

Also, what makes anyone think that the driver if he was turning right would have indicated in a timely manner and checked his mirrors? He can't do it when turning left so not much chance doing it when turning right.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think it's rather obvious that the cyclist is at fault. He even acknowledges it himself on the video. He clearly didn't see the taxi indicating (which it was). An accident. Could have been worse. The film taken by another cyclist would have exonerated the taxi driver.

Why are we even having this thread?
You mean he clearly didn't see the taxi starting indicating when he was already past the indicator and after it had started making the turn?! Shame on him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can someone clarify something, are you allowed to overtake\undertake when you're on the zig zag lines approaching a pedestrian crossing?

No.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/using-the-road-159-to-203

As for the incident, the more I see it the more I would blame the taxi. Late signal and no mirror check before turning. The late signal is pointless as it is nano seconds before he turns into the side road. That said, the vast majority of drivers fail to signal correctly, particularly at roundabouts.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cyclist at fault.

I had something similar on Holloway Road a few years back although I was turning at a set of lights and a motorbike undertook me and I knocked her off. The person behind me was an off duty policeman and said I was indicating and not my fault. The woman got up after she came off and started shouting at me, then when the off duty copper came up and offered to help and said she was in the wrong she dived on the floor and claimed she was hurt and could not speak English..... I so wanted to kick her in the head, I later found out she claimed against me and I think she got money out of it....

No sympathy for people who under take or cut...

And had he been indicating I would agree with you.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You mean he clearly didn't see the taxi starting indicating when he was already past the indicator and after it had started making the turn?! Shame on him.

The cyclist was well aware that he was approaching a junction.
He happily (yet illegally) overtook a vehicle on the inside, knowing that this was a risky/dangerous (and again, illegal) maneuver.

Any car driver should not expect to have a bicycle undertake at a junction, absolutely regardless how late an indication from the driver was made.

Dangerous move by the cyclist and very lucky it wasn't more serious.

SAC

May 21, 2014
The taxi driver should have indicated earlier and should have ensured that there was no one on his inside.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The taxi driver made a late decision to turn left as you can tell by the angle into the turn, he is not at all close to the left side of the side road. He realised late he wanted to go there and signalled too late for anyone alongside to see & them didn't look enough to ensure clear
As a non cyclist I blame the taxi 100%

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The cyclist was well aware that he was approaching a junction.
He happily (yet illegally) overtook a vehicle on the inside, knowing that this was a risky/dangerous (and again, illegal) maneuver.

Any car driver should not expect to have a bicycle undertake at a junction, absolutely regardless how late an indication from the driver was made.

Dangerous move by the cyclist and very lucky it wasn't more serious.

The taxi drive was also aware he was approaching a junction, and according to the highway code:

Turning left

Rule 182

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

Rule 182: Do not cut in on cyclists
Rule 183

When turning
•keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
•give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction.​

Which would make the taxi driver's actions as illegal as the cyclist's, no?

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Some of the people spouting anti-cyclist bollocks on here should try cycling on a busy city road like this and see what it is actually like. You'll soon change your tune, once outside the warm cocoon of your steel killing machines!

This driver is totally at fault, he has failed to look in his mirror and acted impetuously. The cyclist will likely have been in shock, but glad to survive, at least physically unscathed.

As said above, I both cycle and drive.
One regular occurrence as a cyclist is a driver accelerating past you just so he/she can then turn left in front of you, cutting you up in the process & forcing you to brake. Nice. As a driver, it can be hard to see the cyclist, plenty wearing black at night with minimal or even no lights! Hmmm. Proper segregation is what is required.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I mostly enjoyed their agreement to shake hands and get on with life without throwing a tizzy....unusual nowadays.

Therefore, I think it would be reasonable not to apportion blame to either party. Other than perhaps to use this opportunity to blame Ronnie Pickering. :cool:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The taxi drive was also aware he was approaching a junction, and according to the highway code:

Turning left

Rule 182

Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.

Rule 182: Do not cut in on cyclists
Rule 183

When turning
•keep as close to the left as is safe and practicable
•give way to any vehicles using a bus lane, cycle lane or tramway from either direction.​

Which would make the taxi driver's actions as illegal as the cyclist's, no?

No. The Cyclists illegal maneuver trumps all.
The Taxi driver did not cut into the rider or overtake him.
The cyclist overtook the taxi driver (on the inside).

If the cyclist hadn't attempted to overtake on the inside (illegal), no incident would have occurred.

Let me be clear, I'm not anti/pro cyclist/driver in general.
I am a driver, cyclist and ride a motorcyclist.
I work in Fraud & Liability and I'm stating that this is how the incident is seen by Insurers when determining who's at fault.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No. The Cyclists illegal maneuver trumps all.
The Taxi driver did not cut into the rider or overtake him.
The cyclist overtook the taxi driver (on the inside).

If the cyclist hadn't attempted to overtake on the inside (illegal), no incident would have occurred.

Let me be clear, I'm not anti/pro cyclist/driver in general.
I am a driver, cyclist and ride a motorcyclist.
I work in Fraud & Liability and I'm stating that this is how the incident is seen by Insurers when determining who's at fault.

You have ignored that the taxi was going at 5mph because he wasn't sure what to do. This is far too slow to be reasonable and is the cause of why the cyclist was going 'past'. If a car drives at 5mph others should not have to slow down to match this. Driver error

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You have ignored that the taxi was going at 5mph because he wasn't sure what to do. This is far too slow to be reasonable and is the cause of why the cyclist was going 'past'. If a car drives at 5mph others should not have to slow down to match this. Driver error

Again, emphatic no.

Slowing traffic at a junction, anything behind that taxi MUST stay behind the taxi until it's safe to overtake (i.e past the junction).

He was doing 5mph on the approach because the first cyclist illegally overtook him and cut him up.

Highway Code :thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a cyclist, motorcyclist and driver, my opinion is......

...that as a vulnerable road user a cyclist needs to take as much care as possible as the only loser in a collision with a taxi is the cyclist. It really is very difficult to blame a taxi driver from the inside of a coffin or urn.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

That is EXACTLY why you have to check mirrors before you turn and give sufficient signalling. Drivers should ALWAYS expect it and you are taught when learning to drive to ALWAYS expect it

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That is EXACTLY why you have to check mirrors before you turn and give sufficient signalling. Drivers should ALWAYS expect it and you are taught when learning to drive to ALWAYS expect it

Regardless, the cyclist is in the wrong and putting himself in danger by attempting an illegal maneuver.
Yes, the taxi driver could have (and perhaps should have) been more vigilant, but with regards to law, insurance claims and in court, the cyclist would be seen at fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here