Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist Vs Taxi

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Although it's hard to see it looks like the Taxi did: No Mirror - Maneuver - Signal. If this is the case the taxi is 100% at fault, and anyone saying otherwise should probably not be on the road! The number of drivers that can't seem to draft Mirror-signal-maneuver is frightening, particularly indicating when halfway through a turn.

I don't think you can say no-one is to blame as that suggests it was unavoidable.

You know which side of the fence I'm usually on but I don't think you can blame the taxi 100%. The cyclist is on the inside at a junction, that's the number 1 killer of cyclists in London (usually HGVs though). I'd be slowed to a crawl in that situation anticipating a turn.

Yes, the taxi should have checked more fully and indicated earlier, but he's not 100% to blame.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The cyclist is not overtaking. That is a busy road, on busy roads where there are multiple lanes and the inside lane moves faster than the outside lane is considered "filtering". It applies to cars as well.

There's a decent explanation here>>> http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/overtaking-and-filtering-whilst-cycling

In this instance, the taxi signals late, the cyclist doesn't see it. No one is really to blame, both should have exercised a bit more caution.

The cyclist performed a maneuver which the Highway Code prohibits for cyclists.
Overtaking on the inside on approach (or past) a junction.

The Taxi driver didn't perform any maneuver which the Highway Code prohibits, although he/she should have known to thoroughly check his/her mirrors immediately before the turn, knowing that they are at a very busy junction.

So legally (or for insurance purposes), the cyclist is in the wrong.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I like how they shake hands afterwards - we need less anger on the roads.

I think they're both at fault. Taxi didn't give enough of a signal before turning and obviously didn't check mirrors. Cyclist shouldn't be going that quickly on the inside, if you go down the inside you have to be careful.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think it's rather obvious that the cyclist is at fault. He even acknowledges it himself on the video. He clearly didn't see the taxi indicating (which it was). An accident. Could have been worse. The film taken by another cyclist would have exonerated the taxi driver.

Why are we even having this thread?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Although it is legal to filter on a bicycle, it can be inferred from the motorcyclist cases that where cyclists are found to have been filtering in a way deemed to be ‘bad practice’ when a collision takes place, there is strong chance of a finding of contributory negligence on the part of the cyclist.

http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/overtaking-and-filtering-whilst-cycling

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
There are idiots that drive cars and idiots that ride bikes. All I'll say is that when you do ride a bike, it tends to make you more appreciative as a driver.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Mirror - Signal - Manouvre.

Basic.

Actually it should be mirror1 / mirror 2/ signal / side mirror manouvre. (The 2nd mirror being the side mirror to which side you intend to turn. (Followed by another check in the side mirror before you turn.)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In this instance, the taxi signals late, the cyclist doesn't see it. No one is really to blame, both should have exercised a bit more caution.

I think that's a fair explanation, although I'd say both are to blame.

The taxi didn't look and signalled late, although as a driver it's quite instinctive not to expect any traffic passing on your nearside. I also think it would've been tough for him to see the bike as it was moving quite quickly.

The cyclist should've been aware that the car could turn left at the junction. Most of the lorry and bus deaths in London are caused by this, I don't understand why cyclists aren't ultra cautious in that circumstance.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Awful road for cycling (like much of Brighton to Falmer). This crash would not happen to me.

I would not ride in the gutter and I would ride away from the kerb (like the cyclist with the camera) and risk bashing into the back of cars and taxis stopping suddenly (like the following cyclist nearly did). Trouble then is racing cyclists undertaking me and I cannot hear them coming, so I would probably block them undertaking, but some to them would want to squeeze past through narrow gaps. But then I would be late for work. Cyclist accidents are far greater than the proportion of cyclists would indicate during the rush hour.

You know which side of the fence I'm usually on but I don't think you can blame the taxi 100%. The cyclist is on the inside at a junction, that's the number 1 killer of cyclists in London (usually HGVs though). I'd be slowed to a crawl in that situation anticipating a turn.

Yes, the taxi should have checked more fully and indicated earlier, but he's not 100% to blame.

I agree with this. Have watched a few times and don't see any evidence of the taxi indicating until he starts the turn, by which time it's pointless. Cyclist could/should have been more careful. I don't cycle in London but on the rare occasions that I do 'filter' down the nearside I do it a lot more carefully than he does in the video! As others have said, nice to see them amicable about it afterwards as well, all too rare.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
FORS (TFL) requires commercial vehicles in London to display this sticker

cyclistsbeware.jpg

Perhaps taxis should have them as well

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The cyclist is doing what all cyclists have to do on most London roads, where there is often incredibly little space for cycling. He is in a bus lane, a space cyclists share. The taxi driver is completely negligent for not looking in his left hand mirror and is 100% at fault here. He will know from daily experience that cyclists are on the inside and has acted impulsively, rashly, just not paying attention. Most bus drivers are actually pretty good, give you space and don't cut you up by the way.

I both cycle and drive several times a week on roads like this. As a driver you know to check the mirror. As a cyclist you have to be extremely on your guard from both careless drivers like this one and jay-walking pedestrians who nip thru stationary vehicle traffic forgetting that bikes are still moving on the inside.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Cyclist at fault.

I had something similar on Holloway Road a few years back although I was turning at a set of lights and a motorbike undertook me and I knocked her off. The person behind me was an off duty policeman and said I was indicating and not my fault. The woman got up after she came off and started shouting at me, then when the off duty copper came up and offered to help and said she was in the wrong she dived on the floor and claimed she was hurt and could not speak English..... I so wanted to kick her in the head, I later found out she claimed against me and I think she got money out of it....

No sympathy for people who under take or cut...

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Yep, this was my first thought when watching it.

Rules for Cyclists - From The Highway Code

Rule 72
On the left. When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles turning in front of you, out of or into the side road. Just before you turn, check for undertaking cyclists or motorcyclists. Do not ride on the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

Fair enough...

The road design doesn't help. A shared taxi/bus/cycle lane will always present problems and incidents like this will happen. Proper segregation of cyclists from taxis and buses (as, for example, in much of Lewes Road, Brighton) gives opportunities to both cyclists and motorists to drive more safely and avoid crashes. Having said that, though, I can report that there are plenty of car drivers who struggle to use the Lewes Road safely. I've been "waved across" in front of unseen cyclists, when turning off the road, by drivers who simply haven't noticed that there are cyclists on the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here