Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dear Geeks,

Do any of you fancy a last minute trip to Yorkshire for le Grand Depart?

I have a hotel room at Bewley's Hotel booked for Friday 4th that I can't cancel due to family requirement, so it is going as a cheap deal. It cost me £149 and I'm looking for any type of return - say £70.

PM me if you fancy it.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Dear Geeks,

Do any of you fancy a last minute trip to Yorkshire for le Grand Depart?

I have a hotel room at Bewley's Hotel booked for Friday 4th that I can't cancel due to family requirement, so it is going as a cheap deal. It cost me £149 and I'm looking for any type of return - say £70.

PM me if you fancy it.

That sounds like an invitation to a dirty weekend in Yorkshire!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Ruh-roh...

Yeah, bad news....and bad timing with the Tour a few days away.

I never understand these types of positives (a bit like Frank Schleck). They are really "old school" drugs that are piss easy (forgive the pun) to detect on routine drug tests. I just don't see people taking them, especially close to a race (positive was at the national champs).

Also, probenicid is a masking agent that prevents you excreting certain substances into your urine. The major use was to mask steroids (Delgado escaped by taking it when the IOC but not the UCI had banned it in 1988). Now, steroids have a limited place in cycling but could conceivably help to build strength in some sophisticated doping programs (growth hormone is generally preferred). Testosterone is also used to aid recovery (hence Landis losing 5 minutes then destroying the field the next day but testing positive) so it wouldn't make sense to take it before a one-day race like a Nat Champs.

Strange...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Yeah, bad news....and bad timing with the Tour a few days away.

I never understand these types of positives (a bit like Frank Schleck). They are really "old school" drugs that are piss easy (forgive the pun) to detect on routine drug tests. I just don't see people taking them, especially close to a race (positive was at the national champs).

Also, probenicid is a masking agent that prevents you excreting certain substances into your urine. The major use was to mask steroids (Delgado escaped by taking it when the IOC but not the UCI had banned it in 1988). Now, steroids have a limited place in cycling but could conceivably help to build strength in some sophisticated doping programs (growth hormone is generally preferred). Testosterone is also used to aid recovery (hence Landis losing 5 minutes then destroying the field the next day but testing positive) so it wouldn't make sense to take it before a one-day race like a Nat Champs.

Strange...

Perhaps it was contained in some anti-viral flu substance he ingested. As you say, it's not exactly a drug you'd think to take and fool anyone by using it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well that ride got off to a very odd start.

I had to pop into my LBS to pick up a spare tube.
Mr LBS and a mate were sitting around watching this:-

So 500 yards into my ride, I'm watching a lion eat a man.
Naturally the 3 of us were all TEAM LION, Mr LBS getting very agitated as he got stuck in.

I had a lovely ride, ticking Ditchling Beacon off my to do list.

As Strava has about 5 different times for Ditchling, which is the recognised 'geek' standard?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Well that ride got off to a very odd start.

I had to pop into my LBS to pick up a spare tube.
Mr LBS and a mate were sitting around watching this:-

So 500 yards into my ride, I'm watching a lion eat a man.
Naturally the 3 of us were all TEAM LION, Mr LBS getting very agitated as he got stuck in.

I had a lovely ride, ticking Ditchling Beacon off my to do list.

As Strava has about 5 different times for Ditchling, which is the recognised 'geek' standard?

Bloody Hell. How did he keep getting up? Was he Johnny Hoogerland?

And probably the one that calls itself 'top 100 climbs'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bloody Hell. How did he keep getting up? Was he Johnny Hoogerland?

And probably the one that calls itself 'top 100 climbs'.
How did he keep getting up, and why did he keep poking the lion!!
Mrs Lion-Tamer is very lucky her camouflage held up.

It's all pretty academic, just for future record.
The Beacon tougher than I remembered, (I've been saying that a lot) I thought there were more 'easy' 5-7% sections.

As I approached the horse sign post on the last apex, I was transported back to the last L-2-B I did.
I could see a woman in front, at that sign, struggling.
I just couldn't get up to her in time, and encourage her into one last effort.
She put her foot down and stepped off.
She must have been gutted when she realised how close she was.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
One month into my bike-riding regime, and I've just had my first coming-off moment. I guess it gets the inevitable out of the way.

Cycling down Underhill Lane towards Ditchling (single track road, for those who don't know it) and I saw a car coming towards me so I tried to slow down. He made no effort to. I end up having to try and squeeze through a non-existent gap to avoid being hit head on, whilst he continued at speed, forcing me off the road and resulting in me departing the bike and ending up on my back in a hedge.

On the plus side, I had a soft landing, so no cuts or bruises to show for the experience, and the bike is none the worse for it. Slightly less fun: soft= a large clump of brambles and stinging nettles, so I now have arms and legs that look like a red version of the surface of the Moon.

Obviously the driver just carried on going. Wouldn't want to have delayed him or anything :tosser:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One month into my bike-riding regime, and I've just had my first coming-off moment. I guess it gets the inevitable out of the way.

Cycling down Underhill Lane towards Ditchling (single track road, for those who don't know it) and I saw a car coming towards me so I tried to slow down. He made no effort to. I end up having to try and squeeze through a non-existent gap to avoid being hit head on, whilst he continued at speed, forcing me off the road and resulting in me departing the bike and ending up on my back in a hedge.

On the plus side, I had a soft landing, so no cuts or bruises to show for the experience, and the bike is none the worse for it. Slightly less fun: soft= a large clump of brambles and stinging nettles, so I now have arms and legs that look like a red version of the surface of the Moon.

Obviously the driver just carried on going. Wouldn't want to have delayed him or anything :tosser:
Ouch, that's a shame.

What was the first thing you did? check the bike was ok?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south

A lucky escape Edna. Don't you know car drivers get right of way as they pay road tax. ???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A lucky escape Edna. Don't you know car drivers get right of way as they pay road tax. ???

I know, I also got told to **** off by a van driver on my way back in (I think they pay extra road tax for being better drivers, that's right, isn't it?), so all in all, a cracking ride.

Genuinely, it was quite pleasant apart from the nettle stings, which are still burning now. I have to work a night shift tonight so I do hope they calm down a bit soon.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I know, I also got told to **** off by a van driver on my way back in (I think they pay extra road tax for being better drivers, that's right, isn't it?), so all in all, a cracking ride.

Genuinely, it was quite pleasant apart from the nettle stings, which are still burning now. I have to work a night shift tonight so I do hope they calm down a bit soon.

Find a couple of dot leaves on the way to work that'll do the trick. :D Get used to the abuse though it won't get any better.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Find a couple of dot leaves on the way to work that'll do the trick. :D Get used to the abuse though it won't get any better.

That's ok. I know what cars they're driving :wink:

Note for my employer: that was just a little joke :wave:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
EK, I was about to big you up for getting up to speed so well and then I see this. Can't you get them nicked?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
EK, I was about to big you up for getting up to speed so well and then I see this. Can't you get them nicked?

Haha, tempting :)

I suppose thinking about it, the driver of the Mini today has committed an offence by failing to stop at the scene of an accident.

I reckon stinging nettle rash counts as an injury, therefore it is technically speaking classed as an accident.

I'm sure he's at a police station reporting it right now eh? :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here