Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure I'll be open minded anyway. Don't think I could leave Campag really.

I do like that SB. It's a funny old world though isn't it. Someone with enough money to own one of those can't even write a simple review in proper English :wink:

"I've owned a fair few bikes, in over 25years of racing I've seen lots.
However, this frameset is by far the best. Its the flagship for De Rosa and certainly turns heads everywhere I go.
On the flat, uphill and downhill, it goes where I want it too. The box section downtube draws everybody in. I don't really know where to start or finish this review, but, to put it simply. It's not going to be beaten by anything else I ride."

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If he wasn't such a modest man id suggest the geeks bought it for him.
Its a shame we all know he just wouldn't accept it.

We could buy it for Glanders, TT it right up to the hilt and get our very own British Champion.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

He's got some good points in there - no excuse for mocking people who are taking part in a sportive! That's like playground bullies who aren't really hard when the proper tough nuts come around. I may sound as bad as them but I hate people who do a decent time in a sportive and think they're the nuts! There are people with gold medal rides from all kinds of tough sportives who can't get a top 10 in a 3rd cat race.

As, I think, the geeks have shown we should all be encouraging to people taking up the sport and keep the competition to races (and a little bit of strava!).

Having said that, still no excuse for FKWs and I can't get my head round people with £8k bikes who can't do more than about 10mph!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's got some good points in there - no excuse for mocking people who are taking part in a sportive! That's like playground bullies who aren't really hard when the proper tough nuts come around. I may sound as bad as them but I hate people who do a decent time in a sportive and think they're the nuts! There are people with gold medal rides from all kinds of tough sportives who can't get a top 10 in a 3rd cat race. That's me :lol::thumbsup:!

As, I think, the geeks have shown we should all be encouraging to people taking up the sport and keep the competition to races (and a little bit of strava!).

Having said that, still no excuse for FKWs and I can't get my head round people with £8k bikes who can't do more than about 10mph!!!
In reading that I was wondering what side of the fence I fall.

I came to the conclusion I'm a bike snob.
I grumble and tut about FKWs but I've got a couple of jerseys, from my newbie days, that owe a lot to exuberance.
So I guess I assume they'll 'grow out of it', (we are talking snobby not patronising, aren't we?).
We do a bloody good job getting people on the road, and encouraging them.
I certainly do (did) on the road 'come on nearly there' etc.

But I really can't be doing with 'all the gear and no idea', like the fella at the Ditchling sportive with a Cervelo TT bike.
That's where my snob values really kick in.

I'm hoping my positives out weigh my negatives, but it's a close call!!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In reading that I was wondering what side of the fence I fall.

I came to the conclusion I'm a bike snob.
I grumble and tut about FKWs but I've got a couple of jerseys, from my newbie days, that owe a lot to exuberance.
So I guess I assume they'll 'grow out of it', (we are talking snobby not patronising, aren't we?).
We do a bloody good job getting people on the road, and encouraging them.
I certainly do (did) on the road 'come on nearly there' etc.

But I really can't be doing with 'all the gear and no idea', like the fella at the Ditchling sportive with a Cervelo TT bike.

I'm hoping my positives out weigh my negatives, but it's a close call!!

That's not cycling, that's just life. Everyone likes to have a feeling of superiority if their intellectual or physical investment in something is greater than those around them. Why should someone who has read cycling books and followed Tours, and cycling traditions for decades be on a level platform with JCL and his Boardman Halford's bike and his rainbow jersey?

The fact is, some people are ********s. Whether they are on a bike, at a football stadium, on a golf course. Having loads of JCL newbie's join your exclusive cult club just makes those who were already ********s, more of an ********. However, this is completely different from a snob, who knows what you shouldn't be doing, but doesn't assume to have to tell you in a condescending way.

For what it's worth I've complete a fair few sportives and never experienced anything other than great camaraderie, collective spirit and a really enjoyable experience.

However, I must add that our own [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has his own unique way of cutting through cycling's hidden conventions. Myself, Hamilton and Pogue were cruising toward Newhaven when 8 Dorking Wheelers cycling team members came flying past whereby we did the sensible thing and tried to grab their wheel and get a tow as far as we could. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] led the charge, we got on, and basically I did my best not to be sick on my bike trying to keep up.

This was all going well until [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] decides to put a burst on, go past the line of 8 riders proclaiming "I thought you might like a bit of help"…..

There is no doubt that Hamilton's intentions were honest, honourable and in friendly spirit, however it was clear that Dorking Wheelers didn't see the Radioshack team shirted hole in his shorts middle aged man taking the front of their team outing in the same light. Nope, they really didn't…..

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That's not cycling, that's just life. Everyone likes to have a feeling of superiority if their intellectual or physical investment in something is greater than those around them. Why should someone who has read cycling books and followed Tours, and cycling traditions for decades be on a level platform with JCL and his Boardman Halford's bike and his rainbow jersey?

The fact is, some people are ********s. Whether they are on a bike, at a football stadium, on a golf course. Having loads of JCL newbie's join your exclusive cult club just makes those who were already ********s, more of an ********. However, this is completely different from a snob, who knows what you shouldn't be doing, but doesn't assume to have to tell you in a condescending way.

For what it's worth I've complete a fair few sportives and never experienced anything other than great camaraderie, collective spirit and a really enjoyable experience.

However, I must add that our own [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has his own unique way of cutting through cycling's hidden conventions. Myself, Hamilton and Pogue were cruising toward Newhaven when 8 Dorking Wheelers cycling team members came flying past whereby we did the sensible thing and tried to grab their wheel and get a tow as far as we could. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] led the charge, we got on, and basically I did my best not to be sick on my bike trying to keep up.

This was all going well until [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] decides to put a burst on, go past the line of 8 riders proclaiming "I thought you might like a bit of help"…..

There is no doubt that Hamilton's intentions were honest, honourable and in friendly spirit, however it was clear that Dorking Wheelers didn't see the Radioshack team shirted hole in his shorts middle aged man taking the front of their team outing in the same light. Nope, they really didn't…..

Let's put it this way, I succeeded in breaking the field up.

And they didn't even say thank you!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let's put it this way, I succeeded in breaking the field up.

And they didn't even say thank you!!

No, they really didn't see the humour did they, although I didn't get a great look at their faces as they disappeared into the distance!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
No, they really didn't see the humour did they, although I didn't get a great look at their faces as they disappeared into the distance!

My mate was out with some of his friends from the Dorking Wheelers the other day. He said they were 70 miles into their ride when three jokers buried themselves to get on the back of the group. He wasn't bothered until one of them made a smart comment and tried to get on the front before proceeding to ride at an erratic speed, half wheel, fail to point out potholes and disrupt everyone. :facepalm:

I'm sure that wasn't you guys but I've been on the other end of it!

I think you get what they refer to as 'snobs' in most walks of life; I don't think there's any more in cycling than any other cut of the population. The difference might be their openness with their 'commentary', which I've always put down to the fact that they are constantly bloody knackered (or maybe that's just me - but at least they have their blood pumping at a good old pace and endorphins and the rest of it).

I must also confess that my exposure to those kinds of cyclists has been fairly limited. You don't see many of them on the roads round here - I'd guess maybe because it's not particularly good cycling country (being so flat and all) and there aren't as many London commuters as Surrey or Sussex. There's one bloke that I pass in the opposite direction every morning that I'm on my bike with aerobars and an aero helmet but he's just as keen to acknowledge me as anyone else I pass. I saw a few groups when I did a BHF ride earlier in the year but seeing as I (as a rather overweight man) was passing most of them they unsurprisingly didn't say too much! I suppose there's probably more of them the longer/more hard-core the event?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

That's not being a snob that's just point out an idiot! Just so many reasons its wrong, not just snobbery but basic safety in a sportive.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My mate was out with some of his friends from the Dorking Wheelers the other day. He said they were 70 miles into their ride when three jokes buried themselves to get on the back of the group. He wasn't bothered until one of them made a smart comment and tried to get on the front before proceeding to ride at an erratic speed, half wheel, fail to point out potholes and disrupt everyone. ???

I'm sure that wasn't you guys but I've been on the other end of it!

Ha ha ha - that is definitely us!!! Brilliantly described too. I definitely buried myself getting onto the back of them (which was fun) - I was just prepared to stay there as long as I could without disturbing them as was [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION].
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] bless him genuinely thought we should take our turn, but I don't think he fully appreciated the hole this team were cutting through the air for us - once he got to the front I think the laws of physics hit him like a steam train, and they wisely put the hammer down and ensured they would not have to deal with us again!

It sounds to me like they've actually been quite polite over the incident, myself and Pogue were less so toward Hamilton for messing up what was a challenge to hang on the back of a talented bunch for as long as we could...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ha ha ha - that is definitely us!!! Brilliantly described too. I definitely buried myself getting onto the back of them (which was fun) - I was just prepared to stay there as long as I could without disturbing them as was [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION].
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] bless him genuinely thought we should take our turn, but I don't think he fully appreciated the hole this team were cutting through the air for us - once he got to the front I think the laws of physics hit him like a steam train, and they wisely put the hammer down and ensured they would not have to deal with us again!

It sounds to me like they've actually been quite polite over the incident, myself and Pogue were less so toward Hamilton for messing up what was a challenge to hang on the back of a talented bunch for as long as we could...

Tbh I thought they were going at quite a pedestrian pace. As for the pot holes, I didn't see any. Then again, one man' spot hole is another man's standard terrain.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tbh I thought they were going at quite a pedestrian pace. As for the pot holes, I didn't see any. Then again, one man' spot hole is another man's standard terrain.

In terms of pedestrian, we followed them out of Newhaven on the Strava segment 'Bunny Run Denton to Seaford', which is pretty flat, averaging 25.4 mph with a top speed of 30.4 mph (strava data)!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In terms of pedestrian, we followed them out of Newhaven on the Strava segment 'Bunny Run Denton to Seaford', which is pretty flat, averaging 25.4 mph with a top speed of 30.4 mph (strava data)!

Only 25.4 mph? Yeah, pedestrian :)

What was funny was that after about 30 seconds on the front, the 4 wheelers shot past me at a rate of knots that was just ridiculous. I was expecting to see [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] tucked in behind them. I was readying myself to up the pace to hang onto the back, but nobody was there. I look over my shoulder and my compatriots in wheels are sat up chuckling away to themselves.

The wheelers were rather quick. It was fun hanging on for a while.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Only 25.4 mph? Yeah, pedestrian :)

What was funny was that after about 30 seconds on the front, the 4 wheelers shot past me at a rate of knots that was just ridiculous. I was expecting to see [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] tucked in behind them. I was readying myself to up the pace to hang onto the back, but nobody was there. I look over my shoulder and my compatriots in wheels are sat up chuckling away to themselves.

The wheelers were rather quick. It was fun hanging on for a while.

It was mighty impressive what you did, I was truly on my limit holding their wheel, so chapeaux for going round to the front of them, just a shame you pi$$ed them off in the process. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Having just got back from a ride out with my mate Col de Colin, any residue thoughts of snobbery and one up man ship have been well and truly banished, for the time being at least.

I got loads of PB's, I doubt he even got a single top 3 :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm doing lots of laughing chaps.

One thing about cycling with others there's usually some great stories to tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here