Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's not cycling, that's just life. Everyone likes to have a feeling of superiority if their intellectual or physical investment in something is greater than those around them. Why should someone who has read cycling books and followed Tours, and cycling traditions for decades be on a level platform with JCL and his Boardman Halford's bike and his rainbow jersey?

The fact is, some people are ********s. Whether they are on a bike, at a football stadium, on a golf course. Having loads of JCL newbie's join your exclusive cult club just makes those who were already ********s, more of an ********. However, this is completely different from a snob, who knows what you shouldn't be doing, but doesn't assume to have to tell you in a condescending way.

For what it's worth I've complete a fair few sportives and never experienced anything other than great camaraderie, collective spirit and a really enjoyable experience.

However, I must add that our own [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has his own unique way of cutting through cycling's hidden conventions. Myself, Hamilton and Pogue were cruising toward Newhaven when 8 Dorking Wheelers cycling team members came flying past whereby we did the sensible thing and tried to grab their wheel and get a tow as far as we could. [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] led the charge, we got on, and basically I did my best not to be sick on my bike trying to keep up.

This was all going well until [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] decides to put a burst on, go past the line of 8 riders proclaiming "I thought you might like a bit of help"…..

There is no doubt that Hamilton's intentions were honest, honourable and in friendly spirit, however it was clear that Dorking Wheelers didn't see the Radioshack team shirted hole in his shorts middle aged man taking the front of their team outing in the same light. Nope, they really didn't…..

:lolol: Loving that story.

I've never met Hamilton, but from his persona on here and his avatar I've just got this image in my head of him in Eric's glasses giving it the "wey hey!" move as he cruises past to take his turn at the front.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:lolol: Loving that story.

I've never met Hamilton, but from his persona on here and his avatar I've just got this image in my head of him in Eric's glasses giving it the "wey hey!" move as he cruises past to take his turn at the front.

I'm not kidding, while there is no physical resemblance, that image is pretty much spot on! He loves his cycling, and is genuinely great fun to ride with.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only 3 brits in a tour that starts in Britain!

A Kenyan, a Welsh and a Manx at that!

Yeah, but what chance Adam Yates as future Tour winner?

Wonder what odds bookies would give on that at this moment in time? Him not being here this year means he might still be ever so slightly below the radar. One stage win in the future and bang go any decent odds on him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only 3 brits in a tour that starts in Britain!

A Kenyan, a Welsh and a Manx at that!
Gutted for Millar.
Garmin are leaving some big boys out, bit of an 'all or nothing' gamble on Talinsky.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yeah, but what chance Adam Yates as future Tour winner?

Wonder what odds bookies would give on that at this moment in time? Him not being here this year means he might still be ever so slightly below the radar. One stage win in the future and bang go any decent odds on him.

Depends what kind of time trialing they can get them doing. Currently a bit of a weakness.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Depends what kind of time trialing they can get them doing. Currently a bit of a weakness.

'Tis a fair point. Of all the disciplines though possibly this one is the one that can most easily be worked on without quite so much natural talent needed perhaps? Hopefully he'll not be allowed to take the Schleck approach to wind tunnels in the winter.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
'Tis a fair point. Of all the disciplines though possibly this one is the one that can most easily be worked on without quite so much natural talent needed perhaps? Hopefully he'll not be allowed to take the Schleck approach to wind tunnels in the winter.

I'd argue not. There are many tour contenders who couldn't time trial but virtually no winners that couldn't.

Schleck got lucky, pantani was juiced and on another planet with his climbing, maybe sastre .... can't think of many others.

Also, you've got to remember that they're likely to have quintana around for most of their careers!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'd argue not. There are many tour contenders who couldn't time trial but virtually no winners that couldn't.

Schleck got lucky, pantani was juiced and on another planet with his climbing, maybe sastre .... can't think of many others.

Also, you've got to remember that they're likely to have quintana around for most of their careers!

Yeah fair enough. I was just idly thinking that climbing seems so much more about natural talent than anything else whereas perhaps Time Trialing can somehow be worked on much easier.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
He's got some good points in there - no excuse for mocking people who are taking part in a sportive! That's like playground bullies who aren't really hard when the proper tough nuts come around. I may sound as bad as them but I hate people who do a decent time in a sportive and think they're the nuts! There are people with gold medal rides from all kinds of tough sportives who can't get a top 10 in a 3rd cat race.

As, I think, the geeks have shown we should all be encouraging to people taking up the sport and keep the competition to races (and a little bit of strava!).

Having said that, still no excuse for FKWs and I can't get my head round people with £8k bikes who can't do more than about 10mph!!!

Pretty much sums it up for me. I just couldn't give anyone some stick, not even jokingly. I'm not even that bothered about full kits but a group wearing the same is well poncey. In 15 years time, even the current sky kit might have some retro credibility. I like retro. I also like simple designs. As for pricey kit, each to their own. Can't see a bike 5x value of mine adding 5% to my enjoyment levels.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think Full Kit Wankers are only wankers if they are old enough to know better.

If they are under 25, wearing the Sky kit is probably a bit like wearing your team's football shirt. People who stick with cycling grow out of it. Also, you are not a FKW if you wear full kit that doesn't relate to a team. In my humble opinion.

At sportives I have not noticed the bullies he talks about. As Bold said earlier, it's generally friendly and supportive...still. I haven't seen or heard people boasting about good times either, and some of my friends are quite fast. I agree, IL, that this would be pretty pathetic. Sportives have never seemed remotely competitive to me.

By the way, good on Wiggle - when you check riders' times they only give you yours, so you can't 'place' yourself, even if you wanted to.

If anyone wants to get me an £8000 bike, I promise to attempt to average over 10 mph.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When you put it like this:-

[tweet]483689979693248512[/tweet]

It's not all that surprising Millar missed out.
Although that clearly hasn't be the message, all along.
The podcast special would be a pretty sad listen now, as he talks about leading the peloton onto the Champs, one last time.

[tweet]483690684571197440[/tweet]

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Full Kit Wankers are only wankers if they are old enough to know better.

If they are under 25, wearing the Sky kit is probably a bit like wearing your team's football shirt. People who stick with cycling grow out of it. Also, you are not a FKW if you wear full kit that doesn't relate to a team. In my humble opinion.

At sportives I have not noticed the bullies he talks about. As Bold said earlier, it's generally friendly and supportive...still. I haven't seen or heard people boasting about good times either, and some of my friends are quite fast. I agree, IL, that this would be pretty pathetic. Sportives have never seemed remotely competitive to me.

By the way, good on Wiggle - when you check riders' times they only give you yours, so you can't 'place' yourself, even if you wanted to.

If anyone wants to get me an £8000 bike, I promise to attempt to average over 10 mph.
I'm beginning to think a FKW still has time to learn!!
If they don't then that's a different story altogether.

We were very competitive when doing sportives, but the camaraderie always won out.
Not that that didn't stop us riding harder than usual, and checking times.
Although as IL says at no point did any of us think we could race properly, we knew our level and were happy as one of the bigger fish in that pond.

I'd definitely get plenty more enjoyment from a pimped out Cervelo R5. (I hate Millars S5)

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

25 is a bit generous, maybe 16!

I don't have any experience of sportive so I'm only going on second hand tales, many of which are from slightly snobby racers/ex-racers anyway.

And yes, FKW refers only to current/recent trade team kit. Matching generic kit is fine - got to coordinate after all!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
25 is a bit generous, maybe 16!

I don't have any experience of sportive so I'm only going on second hand tales, many of which are from slightly snobby racers/ex-racers anyway.

And yes, FKW refers only to current/recent trade team kit. Matching generic kit is fine - got to coordinate after all!

Phew! I'd have been a wanker for years otherwise.

25 seems bloody young to me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here