[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well there's a turn up for the books.

Nose pressed against the window
'god I'm bored'.
'I can't even capitalise on yesterday's spin'.
'Ah sod it, I'm going anyway'.

Winter kit on, and away for a quick 10 mile TT.
The traffic was very 'bank holiday' of which I cruised up the middle.

Then onto the 2 mile Strava segment I've had my eye on, and out of nowhere I pulled out the 4th overall time, averaging 26.9mph. The way I rode it tells my second overall is 'easily' getable.

None of that would have happened if I just looked at the weather and thought 'oh well no ride today'.

I'm still not seeing a 25% gradient sign and thinking 'I'll have some of that', so I have a long way to go.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Fair play on going out. Today would have been ideal for Giro watching for me but I'm not going out knowing the forecast.

I didn't know that 25% was there. Didn't want to turn back, so no option but to see how I'd fare. 12 months ago, I'd have done it. Too much weight has gone on since and too much fitness lost. The fitness is coming back but I'll not rush into that territory for a while despite it being so lovely.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Seems like you're able to get straight out into fast flat sections and back home the same way from where you are SB?

No such luck over here for me. Always some sort of nasty hill somewhere along the way it seems, and usually at the end of the ride too.

Not quite, obviously, but reminds me of the way I saw a typical Vuelta stage summarised the other day

_____________/ :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems like you're able to get straight out into fast flat sections and back home the same way from where you are SB?

No such luck over here for me. Always some sort of nasty hill somewhere along the way it seems, and usually at the end of the ride too.

Not quite, obviously, but reminds me of the way I saw a typical Vuelta stage summarised the other day

_____________/ :lol:
That's funny.

I often think living on the West Sussex coast is just about ideal for cyclists.
We've got flat roads from Brighton to Portsmouth.
But 5 miles, max, inland like you, we've got some of the sharpest climbs south of the midlands.
(Edit - I best quantify that before IL reads it).
He has to ride a damn site sharper climbs, just without the luxury of flat/rolling road in between.
Then over those it's rouleur country as far as the eye can see.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
A fool and his money and all that, but just couldn't resist another go at Rubiano for tomorrow @ 200/1 ew.

Perhaps because he keeps on crashing, but he hasn't been in a single break yet, and that surely has to change at some point. The whole team have a bash at it on every mountain stage so it must be his turn by now.

Odds now too short on the likes of Arredondo and Duarte.

Really hoping Pozzo got his bad day out of the way yesterday and it was the long flat miles that done for him. Love to see him light things up tomorrow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A fool and his money and all that, but just couldn't resist another go at Rubiano for tomorrow @ 200/1 ew.

Perhaps because he keeps on crashing, but he hasn't been in a single break yet, and that surely has to change at some point. The whole team have a bash at it on every mountain stage so it must be his turn by now.

Odds now too short on the likes of Arredondo and Duarte.

Really hoping Pozzo got his bad day out of the way yesterday and it was the long flat miles that done for him. Love to see him light things up tomorrow.
There might not be too much actual racing, tomorrow:-

[tweet]470940427622043648[/tweet]

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

It looks a stinker today - freezing temperatures on the climbs and rain in the valleys. Add to the fact that its a short stage, they'll be going hell for leather from the start and there could be tight elimination deadlines.

Bouhanni might just get saved by the fact there could be a huge group outside the time limit - I think Movistar will go hammer and tongs up the first climb.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

My only trip to the dolimites to see the Giro seven years ago and it snowed heavily one day on top of the climb, we waited very cold thinking the cyclists may not come over, but up they came, and they looked at us as if we were the mad ones.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Tennis, 1st round ******* Tennis. Eurosport sort your lives out, the tennis is also available on ITV so why not show the one thing you have the exclusive rights for?

MediGull

Nov 14, 2011
Brighton
I hope that today is the best day of racing of the year and I think it might be so I'm already watching!

As I don't have Eurosport etc I'm watching an Australian stream which is pretty easy to use and OK commentary wise. If you have chrome or firefox download the extension called Hola Better Internet. It is a proxy system for pretty much any country. So set it to Australia and use this site http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/. SBS cycling central also do a pretty decent weekly podcast which is free and worth a listen.

They're covering the whole Giro and I just found it so thought i'd share it.

Last edited:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I hope that today is the best day of racing of the year and I think it might be so I'm already watching!

As I don't have Eurosport etc I'm watching an Australian stream which is pretty easy to use and OK commentary wise. If you have chrome or firefox download the extension called Hola Better Internet. It is a proxy system for pretty much any country. So set it to Australia and use this site http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/. SBS cycling central also do a pretty decent weekly podcast which is free and worth a listen.

They're covering the whole Giro and I just found it so thought i'd share it.

Of course, there's a chance that the weather will be so bad we won't see any of it!!!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Chalapud up the road, Pantano and Arredondo just attacked out of the peloton.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Can anyone tell me if a damaged/bruised coccyx is curable? Got a doctors appointment soon but i've had this problem for over a year now. I don't even know how i got it but got a feeling it's due to a worn out computer chair that i used.I replaced the chair last Nov but still hurts a bit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Advice please - thinking of getting a road bike. Currently pootling around on an MTB whilst I recover from a long term running injury and quite enjoying it so will continue even once I'm back running properly, but it's a bit slow and boring averaging 14-15mph and getting passed by old men on lighter machines. Any recommendations ? Looking for a cheapish option (max say £800-1000) that would suit mid Sussex country lanes for rides up to 3-4 hours. Complete novice at this..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here