Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A funny old morning. Was planning 60+ but insomnia put paid to that. Mrs M was grumpy with my low 30 ride. :wrong:

Caught a group and sat with them for a while. Wished I passed them as I just missed a level crossing opportunity a few mins after veering off. Those things are far too long. Bottom line is I was firing this morning.

Went exploring, so new roads. 15 mins after going over the Medway on the bridge in Rochester I was in the middle of nowhere. No idea it was there. Couple of lovely houses and that was it it. Not a soul in sight. Came across a 25% sign. Initially I smiled. As I hit the steep bit, the severity of it hit me. Lasted as long as possible, but needed a breather. 3rd attempt to clip back in saw me looking at the sky as 2 riders came down the hill. I saw the funny side and walked the rest. I'm happy because I landed on my right side with no shoulder or rib problem. Back has been a bit iffy for a few weeks and felt that as I hit the tarmac. Ho hum. Better do some fence panel painting now. Kinell.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good stuff.

I most certainly wouldn't have seen a 25% sign as a challenge.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A funny old morning. Was planning 60+ but insomnia put paid to that. Mrs M was grumpy with my low 30 ride. :wrong:

Caught a group and sat with them for a while. Wished I passed them as I just missed a level crossing opportunity a few mins after veering off. Those things are far too long. Bottom line is I was firing this morning.

Went exploring, so new roads. 15 mins after going over the Medway on the bridge in Rochester I was in the middle of nowhere. No idea it was there. Couple of lovely houses and that was it it. Not a soul in sight. Came across a 25% sign. Initially I smiled. As I hit the steep bit, the severity of it hit me. Lasted as long as possible, but needed a breather. 3rd attempt to clip back in saw me looking at the sky as 2 riders came down the hill. I saw the funny side and walked the rest. I'm happy because I landed on my right side with no shoulder or rib problem. Back has been a bit iffy for a few weeks and felt that as I hit the tarmac. Ho hum. Better do some fence panel painting now. Kinell.

:lol:

They should make a sitcom about you, Moto.

Why would Mrs. M be grumpy that you did 30 and not 60? Didn't she want you home? And what's insomnia got to do with it? Surely you could have got up earlier and cycled further?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I was planning an early start as usual, but was still looking at the ceiling at 1am.

In other news, saw 2 poorly parked cars today. 1 in a hedge and 1 on its roof in a field.

And I saw the sky team doing some training. Either that or we need collective noun for FKWs. I'm on a roll also saw a WC jersey.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Nice work Moto :thumbsup:

Must be something in the air because I had a great ride this morning too. It's like Super Sunday for me - allotment all planted up and on top of for the season at last, 3/4 of the kids off to London for the day with Mrs 1066, fantastic ride this morning and now a few beers and munchies in to settle down to Giro viewing with 1066 mini (m). :rave:

Funnily enough large parts of my ride today were in your Garden of England. I also went on a new route and dived down a few lanes to see where they'd end up. Discovered the joys of a flatter route and a tail wind with some wheelsucking for about a mile on a serious 3 rider group before they turned off. Now I know why the rolling route that I usually take is so deserted - they're all out on the flat lands to Appledore and Tenterden instead! It's a bit like discovering you've been going in the wrong pub for years when the one with all the action is just around the corner without you realising it. Head wind and slightly uphill home was a bit of a challenge. I'll put it up on the geeks strava page in a bit.

Meanwhile......today's break reads like a classics club outing! Some strong riders in there, but I can't see it staying away for the win. No bets riding today, just looking forward to the GC action to come.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was planning an early start as usual, but was still looking at the ceiling at 1am.

In other news, saw 2 poorly parked cars today. 1 in a hedge and 1 on its roof in a field.

And I saw the sky team doing some training. Either that or we need collective noun for FKWs. I'm on a roll also saw a WC jersey.

You've got to hope that they're JCL cyclists, and they just don't know yet. They will learn. An incomprehension of FKWs?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A tw@t of FKW's?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Meanwhile......today's break reads like a classics club outing! Some strong riders in there, but I can't see it staying away for the win. No bets riding today, just looking forward to the GC action to come.
If the break stays away and 100/1 Cunego wins, I will go bat pooh crazy :angry:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This Giro just gets better and better! Superb ride by Aru. Knew he was in the GC mix, as mentioned yesterday, but never expected him to do that! Chapeau!

Disappointed for Pozzo, but here's hoping thats his bad day out of the way, or at least one of them. Was feeling gutted to see Majka appearing to lose time, but actually he put time into Evans and Pozzo so a good day for him after all.

This could be really close between Uran & Quintana now. Could all come down to the MTT at this rate.

Absolutely superb racing, and I'm off all of next week as it's half term, so won't miss a thing :banana:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We have a winner. This MUST enter the lexicon of cycling.

It's pretty damn good. Must be worth a submission to that rule book thingymejig at the very least, surely?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought Uran paced that well, but did seem to be off when it mattered, again.

When Quintana needed to go, he went for it and seemed pretty untroubled, but still without properly nailing the climb.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I believe the velominati are American so the Gove reference might be lost on them!

Ah, hadn't thought of that. Perhaps we'll have to make our own set up then?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought Uran paced that well, but did seem to be off when it mattered, again.

When Quintana needed to go, he went for it and seemed pretty untroubled, but still without properly nailing the climb.

Agreed. It looks like Quintana should have the winning of it in him now, but it's still so open, and that MTT is going to be absolutely crucial I think, especially given the two stages it's been sandwiched between. What a race we have to look forward to! :drool:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed. It looks like Quintana should have the winning of it in him now, but it's still so open, and that MTT is going to be absolutely crucial I think, especially given the two stages it's been sandwiched between. What a race we have to look forward to! :drool:
Just a shame about the previous 13 stages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here