Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Thanks folks! Definitely not as impressive as it sounds though - as you'd expect, there are far fewer people daft enough to do a 12hr than a 25?miler, so the field is much smaller. The 12 was my biggest pb and all the others were a few secs here and there. Down to a very long 54 for 25 miles, but I'm hoping to improve on that a bit this year. And I take your point about the two littleuns IL - I've got a pair too and it's only thanks to working shifts that I get to indulge my obsession as much as I do. Started taking my 8 year old to race at Preston park last year, so maybe I'm entering the transition from selfish wannabee weekend warrior to embittered over-competitive dad!

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Thanks folks! Definitely not as impressive as it sounds though - as you'd expect, there are far fewer people daft enough to do a 12hr than a 25?miler, so the field is much smaller. The 12 was my biggest pb and all the others were a few secs here and there. Down to a very long 54 for 25 miles, but I'm hoping to improve on that a bit this year. And I take your point about the two littleuns IL - I've got a pair too and it's only thanks to working shifts that I get to indulge my obsession as much as I do. Started taking my 8 year old to race at Preston park last year, so maybe I'm entering the transition from selfish wannabee weekend warrior to embittered over-competitive dad!

You'll have to expand the repertoire from testing - my dad and I both raced so crits (and possibly track) are the only places where both of you can race!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
Cracking stuff there [MENTION=23986]Glanders[/MENTION].
What form of racing is that 12 hours?
I'm picturing 12 hours round a motor racing circuit, if that's the case then it's even more phenomenal.

[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] has been a tiny bit cryptic on the Nike thread.
Earlier in the week, it did occur to me that him [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] haven't popped in for a chat, recently.

:wave:

No, its just head down on a tt bike round various laps of the Essex/cambs border (a lot hillier than I'd hoped and expected!). Same format as any other tt - off at minute intervals, the difference being that you're goverened by time, not distance. As long as you stay on course and make it into the finishing circuit, you get given a finishing distance. I had my stepdad handing me bottles and food and managed to get the hydration spot on and I didn't have to stop at all. Pi$$ed like a race horse once I'd finished though of course!

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
You'll have to expand the repertoire from testing - my dad and I both raced so crits (and possibly track) are the only places where both of you can race!

Yes, that's a fair point. I really don't want her racing tts. I considered giving the track a go, but I really like watching her and I know I'd just turn into a self-obsessed ar$e if I was racing too. If she stays interested, what I'd really like her to do is - whisper it - triathlon, but will probably need to win the lottery first.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Yes, that's a fair point. I really don't want her racing tts. I considered giving the track a go, but I really like watching her and I know I'd just turn into a self-obsessed ar$e if I was racing too. If she stays interested, what I'd really like her to do is - whisper it - triathlon, but will probably need to win the lottery first.

Good options, the track will really drop your 10 time though!

Sensible to keep her off the dual carriageways

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm picturing 12 hours round a motor racing circuit, if that's the case then it's even more phenomenal.

[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] has been a tiny bit cryptic on the Nike thread.
Earlier in the week, it did occur to me that him [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] haven't popped in for a chat, recently.

Yeah, I know... I always avoid this thread, and Facebook, when races like Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico are on TV. I can't watch live, so rely on Eurosport's highlights, and am determined to avoid any possibility of a spoiler.

Like 1066, I will have to watch MSR on the highlights programme too.

My crypticness (?) was a reference to The Sopranos...

Chapeau to Glanders. If he thinks he's got nothing to add to this thread, he should read some of the crap I've contributed to it over the years.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm desperate to get a free Sunday afternoon this weekend. Desperate.

Actually been in Houston all week so haven't been too NSC active at all.

I will think of something foolish to do or say to entertain the cycling geeks. For example, try a look at my Milan San Remo fantasy team :)

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm desperate to get a free Sunday afternoon this weekend. Desperate.

Actually been in Houston all week so haven't been too NSC active at all.

I will think of something foolish to do or say to entertain the cycling geeks. For example, try a look at my Milan San Remo fantasy team :)

I've given up on Fantasy, and the cycling's much more fun to watch.

Are you back? At the game tomorrow?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Effing typical. Its a beautiful morning but rain is coming.

Tomorrow is looking very promising though. Possible ride, MSR, motogp. May need to limit the lager consumption tonight, just in case. Plums less painful this morning, so drugs working.

The fantasy stuff is still fun you me you nobbers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's 'nice' to get a regular goolie update.

I shall throw my fantasy team together, now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've lost track of all the broadcasting of the races, I'm feeling a bit detached from it, plus I haven't been out on the bike much and feel almost fraudulent.

I'm still here reading though!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've lost track of all the broadcasting of the races, I'm feeling a bit detached from it, plus I haven't been out on the bike much and feel almost fraudulent.

I'm still here reading though!

Don't get detached from watching, Bold! I really believe that this could be one of the great years, so many contenders in all areas, nothing is a foregone conclusion. get watching.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Kick off at 9am finish at 4pm.
A mere 7 hours of riding hard in the rain, no wonder they are all on drugs :thumbsup:

[tweet]447569259393449984[/tweet]

Here's the most recent weather predictions for today.

Milan (race start, 10.00 hours CET): rain, 10.6°C. Wind: weak - W 9 kph.
Passo del Turchino (km 143,5, 13.30 CET): rain, 9.2°C. Wind: weak - SE 8 - 10 kph.
Cipressa (16.00 hours CET): rain, 13.7°C. Wind: Weak - NNE 8 - 13 kph.
Sanremo (race finish: 17.00 hours CET): scattered showers, 14.8°C. Wind: moderate - WNW 15 kph.

So luckily for the riders we'll not have any snow this year.

I wonder how many players earned more cash yesterday than the winner of MSR today?

BjXBMGrCEAAlOpL.png

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Kick off at 9am finish at 4pm.
A mere 7 hours of riding hard in the rain, no wonder they are all on drugs :thumbsup:

[tweet]447569259393449984[/tweet]

Here's the most recent weather predictions for today.

Milan (race start, 10.00 hours CET): rain, 10.6°C. Wind: weak - W 9 kph.
Passo del Turchino (km 143,5, 13.30 CET): rain, 9.2°C. Wind: weak - SE 8 - 10 kph.
Cipressa (16.00 hours CET): rain, 13.7°C. Wind: Weak - NNE 8 - 13 kph.
Sanremo (race finish: 17.00 hours CET): scattered showers, 14.8°C. Wind: moderate - WNW 15 kph.

So luckily for the riders we'll not have any snow this year.

I wonder how many players earned more cash yesterday than the winner of MSR today?

View attachment 52246

When does TV coverage start?

I need a reason not to go out on my bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers Stat.

I may just go back to sleep for now.

Have you not looked out of the window?
A lovely morning to go out and earn that lunch, says the bike-shy fat bloke!!!

(although I do have decent spin planned for tomorrow)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here