Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Highly recommend the Downs Link cycle path, have just done Shoreham to Cranleigh then back to Southwater (where I got picked up) plan was to go back to Shoreham but the heat was too much. Great day out though !

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I have just seen the end of the men's Strade Bianche. I bet that was murder at this time of year. We turned down our 'back nine' pace this morning; probably a combo of fatigue and heat. I emptied both bottles which is unusual for me for a 65 mile ride.

The amazing AVV won the women's race.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's the posibility Van Aert is still trying to give a urine sample.

He was with attempting a wee-wee for quite some time.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
The missus has finally managed to get an order in for a new bike!
After years of struggling with health issues (& only occasionally riding on a normal mtb), shes lost over half her body weight, regularly runs 5k's, and is now waiting on a new e-hybrid. OK, its only a Halfords Carrera Crossfire - but it has fantastic reviews from various e-bike sites, and she is extremely excited at getting out on two wheels....this from someone who has always been a nervous rider, and hated cycling!

Looking forward to getting out on some rides with her - although she will be leaving me behind on the hills now!

Carrera Crossfire-E Womens Electric Bike.jpg

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did my first long-ish ride yesterday since getting back into riding, 27 miles using the seafront cycle paths to Worthing Pier and back and feeling it this morning. Loved it though.

So can any of you cycling geeks suggest any nice 25-30 mile rides starting in Brighton that are not too hilly?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION] means me!

I have used Rayments for years. Friendly and knowledgeable without feeling like they're taking the piss. they are just near Preston Circus.

Apols for being so late [MENTION=6376]The Lemming Stomper[/MENTION]
[MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION] put me onto Rayments and they're great.

I've also just used Bike Monkey who was great... http://www.brightonbikemonkey.co.uk

I believe he has now taken on the Bike Shed that is on the London Road. Nice guys.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Did my first long-ish ride yesterday since getting back into riding, 27 miles using the seafront cycle paths to Worthing Pier and back and feeling it this morning. Loved it though.

So can any of you cycling geeks suggest any nice 25-30 mile rides starting in Brighton that are not too hilly?

If you go along to Shoreham and don't mind a few little hills then head up the Coombe Road to Steyning. Or you can just follow the path alongside the River Adur which is flat all the way to Bramber. A beer there then home - job done.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I can plot you a specific route incorporating Hamilton's top advise.
But all I'd actually be doing is covering my true intention.

When Autumn properly kicks in you really must ride the Edbirton Rd.
Edburton, Fulking, (Shepherd & Dog) the foot of Devil's Dyke.

Proper Sussex.

You could then kick on again to Ditchling.
(There's a little used underpass you'll need directing to just after HPP)

I'm going to slightly stick my neck out here, although I think I'm right in saying all the passes across The Downs are easier south to north.

So that ride would be better in reverse, heading over Ditchling/Devils then back along the river to Shoreham.

Irrespective how you slice it, I guarantee if you pick your day right, you will be so pleased you did.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I can plot you a specific route incorporating Hamilton's top advise.
But all I'd actually be doing is covering my true intention.

When Autumn properly kicks in you really must ride the Edbirton Rd.
Edburton, Fulking, (Shepherd & Dog) the foot of Devil's Dyke.

Proper Sussex.

You could then kick on again to Ditchling.
(There's a little used underpass you'll need directing to just after HPP)

I'm going to slightly stick my neck out here, although I think I'm right in saying all the passes across The Downs are easier south to north.

So that ride would be better in reverse, heading over Ditchling/Devils then back along the river to Shoreham.

Irrespective how you slice it, I guarantee if you pick your day right, you will be so pleased you did.

I was looking to do something similar. Start from Shoreham up the river along Edburton Road carry on to Pyecombe then down A23 cycle path all way to seafront then back along to Shoreham

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was looking to do something similar. Start from Shoreham up the river along Edburton Road carry on to Pyecombe then down A23 cycle path all way to seafront then back along to Shoreham

I don't know the A23 cycle path, but it does sound like something that's had the life sucked out of it!

You might be better off turning right at Pyecombe and going straight on, if you don't fancy the steep climb up to DD, then down to the seafront via Dyke Rd.

The Edburton Road in Spring and in particular Autumn has a narcotic effect on me, when timed right.

As lovely as it is all of the time, if you catch it mid morning.
Sunny day.
The hint of a chill (not cold, still in summer kit, but a touch cooler),
The leaves turning.
Livestock still in the fields.

There's just something about the light, shadows, silence, the impending winter that I just love.
It's all the stuff you completely miss in a car and I don't think you quite get walking along the ridge either.

As said it's proper Sussex.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I don't know the A23 cycle path, but it does sound like something that's had the life sucked out of it!

You might be better off turning right at Pyecombe and going straight on, if you don't fancy the steep climb up to DD, then down to the seafront via Dyke Rd.

The Edburton Road in Spring and in particular Autumn has a narcotic effect on me, when timed right.

As lovely as it is all of the time, if you catch it mid morning.
Sunny day.
The hint of a chill (not cold, still in summer kit, but a touch cooler),
The leaves turning.
Livestock still in the fields.

There's just something about the light, shadows, silence, the impending winter that I just love.
It's all the stuff you completely miss in a car and I don't think you quite get walking along the ridge either.

As said it's proper Sussex.

To prove Stats point...this was 3 weeks ago along Edburton Rd. Love it.

20200712_090248-01_resized.jpeg20200712_090613-01_resized.jpeg20200712_090618-01_resized.jpeg20200712_090747-01_resized.jpeg

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x74URbOTCo8

Not good. Just seen this on a news feed ☹️

Horrific crash. Really hope Jakobsen comes through this ok....will be a LONG recovery. Hope the other riders who were injured, as well as the official, are back on their feet soon.
Not a good day for the Wolfpack on Wednesday with Lampaert also crashing in Milano-Torino & breaking his collarbone.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Hi All,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a good introductory road bike, any suggestions? Ideally not looking to spend more than £1,000.

Specialized Allez E5 looks to be what is coming up... just a struggle finding anything in stock!

Thanks a lot:albion2:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Hi All,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a good introductory road bike, any suggestions? Ideally not looking to spend more than £1,000.

Specialized Allez E5 looks to be what is coming up... just a struggle finding anything in stock!

Thanks a lot:albion2:

I recently bought a Canyon online and am very happy with it. You could get something like this https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road-b...6.0/2391.html?dwvar_2391_pv_rahmenfarbe=RD/BK for £949.

I actually bought one of their Roadlite flat bar road bikes.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
From what I can see, there is very little in terms of sub-£2000 road bikes available at the moment.

I've had half an eye out, as I want to upgrade towards the end of next year when my youngest qualifies for 30 hours free childcare!

But yes, the Allez range are supposed to be good... Never ridden one myself (although I do really fancy an Allez Sprint Comp disc).

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
From what I can see, there is very little in terms of sub-£2000 road bikes available at the moment.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

I struggled to find anything suitable in stock in the UK. Canyon are Germany based and only appear to sell direct online.

I also bought a Specialized Sirrus Elite flat bar road bike last year and love it, apart from the Black colour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here