Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well that was both comical and depressing at the same time.

I feel quite sorry for anyone doing that virtual shite regularly out of free choice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I need to leave this somewhere as I'm pretty sure I'll be needing it at some point in the future.

T'is a comprehensive OS map of cycling infrastructure well worth a depressing look at.

https://www.cyclosm.org/#map=11/50.9214/-0.0577/cyclosm

You guys are lucky this now starts in Sussex.
When I clicked on the original link the map opened in Amsterdam.

So if you're not depressed enough I suggest you scroll out, across the channel, then back in. :down:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I decided to stop dodging hills and did a couple today. Obviously, it was just about getting up them but generally pleased with the attempts.

If anyone is not hammering rollers or turbos, why not?

I have never tried rollers and hate the turbo.

Where I live, the Downs are immediately accessible, so I go mountain biking every day as my daily exercise.I barely see anyone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm quite pleased with my rehab. This morning's re ride of the ride that left me fukked 4 weeks ago was 14 minutes and 22 average bpm down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I have never tried rollers and hate the turbo.

Where I live, the Downs are immediately accessible, so I go mountain biking every day as my daily exercise.I barely see anyone.

Me too - I dont have either, so its out on the trails & road, or nothing for me. Been enjoying both the last two weeks, and have knocked out some lovely rides on deserted tracks and tarmac. Went out Sunday morning on the road bike for a couple of hours, and it was so quiet out there that I tacked on an extra 15 miles. Not a single car passed me from Ditchling Common, through Ditchling, and along to Lewes. Bliss.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I did a ride from Newhaven through to Kingston and along the A27 the other day as it was lovely and quiet, a think no more than a dozen cars passed me on the C7. That quiet seems to get a bit weird when it is dark though, finishing work at around 10pm the last few nights and the ride through Brighton and along the undercliff walk to Saltdean in particular was quite disconcerting, so much so I've stayed on the coast road the last 2 nights as the thought of a pitch black, silent undercliff walk for a few miles was a bit too much.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If any geeks are on FB, there are two pages I follow which have some great content worth watching at the moment. "Retro Roadies" & "Cycling Love" both post loads of old videos of racing (a lot of 70s/80s/90s classics) as well as documentaries.
Picture quality isnt exactly HD, but well worth watching if you're stuck at home :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1250377567632326657[/tweet]

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Judging by previous comments probably not, but did anyone get to do the Ride with G? Amazing response over £335k.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[tweet]1250377567632326657[/tweet]

That schedule is cloud cuckoo land IMHO.

TdF finishing on Sept 20th, then they will still fit in ...Worlds, Giro, Vuelta AND all the monuments.

Yeah. That sounds like a plan :rolleyes:

Edit: That's not to mention the European and Nationals to go ahead as scheduled in among all that.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Does anyone on here get 'Cyclist' magazine? Issue 100 dropped through my letterbox today.

There is a feature on The Figure of Hate sportive that takes place near my place in the Pyrenees...and a picture of me, in glorious Morvelo pink, at the start line.

I've finally made it.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Does anyone on here get 'Cyclist' magazine? Issue 100 dropped through my letterbox today.

There is a feature on The Figure of Hate sportive that takes place near my place in the Pyrenees...and a picture of me, in glorious Morvelo pink, at the start line.

I've finally made it.

I don’t, but I bet you look gorgeous. :kiss::cheery:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Watching this will possibly be the best spent 10 mins of your day. Glorious final week recap of the 1989 TDF...including random use of the Top Gun theme, possibly the greatest montage music ever ("Grand Designs" by the Achievers)....and riders stealing motorbikes & cops handguns.

Marvellous scenes.

*spoiler alert* Fignon threw it away. Damn saddle sores :wozza: :rolleyes:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Watching this will possibly be the best spent 10 mins of your day. Glorious final week recap of the 1989 TDF...including random use of the Top Gun theme, possibly the greatest montage music ever ("Grand Designs" by the Achievers)....and riders stealing motorbikes & cops handguns.

Marvellous scenes.

*spoiler alert* Fignon threw it away. Damn saddle sores :wozza: :rolleyes:

Richard bloody Keys!

Hard to process the fact that that was over 30 years ago - seems like yesterday. Also, interesting to consider that many of us have got bikes that are far superior to those that these guys rode around France on back then.

Great video FP. I will never forget the TT that followed...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Richard bloody Keys!

Hard to process the fact that that was over 30 years ago - seems like yesterday. Also, interesting to consider that many of us have got bikes that are far superior to those that these guys rode around France on back then.

Great video FP. I will never forget the TT that followed...

Exactly what my dad said yesterday when I sent it to him - he was the same age then as I am now...that is scary! I still remember on one of the mountain stages the camera bike panning down to the speedo as they were following Fignon up a climb....and it read 25kph! Thats faster than I average on the flat....insane (especially, as you say, with the bikes & ratios they used back then).

Possibly my favourite tour of all time before we had the monotony of Big Mig, & then the LA years. I would love to find the whole race somewhere on DVD etc from start to finish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here