Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
For those into their retro cycling - I picked up this jersey on ebay the other day for £15...my favourite team of the 90s with Zulle, JaJa, Lajarreta, Stephens, and Beloki etc.

View attachment 122620

My mate also picked up this 1989 ADR colourway Bottecchia frame from Italy for £140 - he now has 3 of them sitting in his loft!

View attachment 122621

And finally, I found this Z Peugeot bike yesterday..If I had a spare £300 I would be hitting the "Buy it Now" button straight away

View attachment 122622

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had my first crash for years today at Widewater Lagoon when a 5 year old inexplicably decided to steer his scooter into my path at the last minute.

Jammed on the brakes and went over the handlebars slightly hitting his head with my knee. Ouch, my left rib aches and right hand extremely swollen and painful as it broke my fall.

The kid seemed OK and left brake lever has a bit missing but works.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Had my first crash for years today at Widewater Lagoon when a 5 year old inexplicably decided to steer his scooter into my path at the last minute.

Jammed on the brakes and went over the handlebars slightly hitting his head with my knee. Ouch, my left rib aches and right hand extremely swollen and painful as it broke my fall.

Where is Widewater Lagoon ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Sad to here that, get well soon.
(Obviously I mean the brake lever :lol: )

It's the dangers of cycling anywhere other than a designated sectioned off cycle path.

I frequently say I'd rather be on the road, where I'm the one maimed or killed, than being caught up in a freak incident.
At least I have control of the situation and can ride to keep me safe being mindful of not traumatizing an innocent car driver.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sad to here that, get well soon.
(Obviously I mean the brake lever :lol: )

It's the dangers of cycling anywhere other than a designated sectioned off cycle path.

I frequently say I'd rather be on the road, where I'm the one maimed or killed, than being caught up in a freak incident.
At least I have control of the situation and can ride to keep me safe being mindful of not traumatizing an innocent car driver.

On cycle lanes such as on Brighton seafront, I’ve had many a near miss with hounds being taken for a walk, which took a sudden change of route into the cycle lane.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On cycle lanes such as on Brighton seafront, I’ve had many a near miss with hounds being taken for a walk, which took a sudden change of route into the cycle lane.

Yeah because it's not sectioned off.

Glorified pavement or a line painted on the road isn't a cycle lane and doesn't keep anybody safe.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Dear Cyclists

Our charity project has stalled due to no charity event auctions that are being held, if you want to help us add to the £501K raised in donations we are holding an online draw, where you can win the following: You also get the opportunity to choose which good causes benefit

The more entries we get the more prizes them agents will forward.

Afternoon track cycling experience for two with a GB Gold Medal Cyclist worth £552.

BMX Coaching session for two with Team GB BMX rider Quillan Isidore

Signed Racing skin suit from Philip Hindes

Signed GB Cycling top from members of the 2020 GB Men's Sprint Squad.

Signed GB Cycling top from members of the 2020 GB Women's Sprint Squad

Signed GB Cycling top from members of the GB Men's Endurance Squad

Signed GB Cycling top from members of the GB Women's Endurance Squad

Exclusive piece of Custom made Carbon Jewellery from Rob Hayles.

Commentary on a video of you in cycling action from some surprise guests. (all to be revealed later.)

Your cycling career discussed on a Cycling podcast (all to be revealed later.)

More signed Jerseys are on their way...also see landmark Cycling prize below when we hit the £1000 mark

• Geraint Thomas signed 2018 Tour De France Yellow Jersey.

There is a whole host of cricket and other olympic sport memorabilia and experiences up for grabs as well.
http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/sportvscovid19

This is all part of a campaign called Cyclists vs Covid19 which aims to be a hub of positive coverage of the ways in which the cycling family are helping mitigate the impact of the crisis on their local community. It also gives you the chance to nominate those who are fundraising or working on the 'frontline' to combat the impact, to spend an afternoon with a GB Gold Medal cyclist.

Appreciate you getting on board and sharing the information.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I posted it on the other page, but was nice to see the Movistar team putting out a little tribute to Michael Robinson last night.
Looks like he had a bit of input when the team started (through his support). Did he cover cycling as well in Spain does anyone know?

Screenshot_20200428-221501_Instagram.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I posted it on the other page, but was nice to see the Movistar team putting out a little tribute to Michael Robinson last night.
Looks like he had a bit of input when the team started (through his support). Did he cover cycling as well in Spain does anyone know?

View attachment 122917
He and Dave Millar were also close.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Last year, I worked hard during spring and summer to shed 2/3 of stone to get down to 13 stone.

This year, I was nudging 14 stone at some point before lockdown. With plenty of rolling, fierce willpower on eating, I'm down to 12 1/2 stone. I never thought that as possible. Now if I can manage things better I might try some PBs out there. Mind you, 40 consecutive days of activity is taking its toll now.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Last year, I worked hard during spring and summer to shed 2/3 of stone to get down to 13 stone.

This year, I was nudging 14 stone at some point before lockdown. With plenty of rolling, fierce willpower on eating, I'm down to 12 1/2 stone. I never thought that as possible. Now if I can manage things better I might try some PBs out there. Mind you, 40 consecutive days of activity is taking its toll now.

Firstly well done. Secondly you’ll be slower going downhill. :p

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Mother fukka acts like he forgot about moobs.

I've still got a pair. :down:

I just reviewed my first lockdown roll with today's. Average bpm down by 20 with cadence up by 5. Science fact of improving health right there but it also means the fat is being burnt off at a slower rate.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I've lost about a stone this year, so down to about 14 now - still a lot for a rider, but the difference has been noticeable for sure. Quite a few PB's when I've not been pushing things particularly hard, avg speed has gone up, I feel better on the bike...and I managed Ditchling Beacon on Saturday without feeling like collapsing at the top (plus knocked 30 secs off my PB from 2018)
Same as you though, after 800+kms in April Im nursing a sore hamstring, so having to cut down this week...:rolleyes:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Quite pleased with myself, I’ve just cycled from Worthing to Saltdean and back just under 35 miles, took me 2 hours 42 minutes. I’m no way a serious cyclist, just normally a 10 mile a day ride just to keep active. So more than happy with myself today and I feel good !!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Quite pleased with myself, I’ve just cycled from Worthing to Saltdean and back just under 35 miles, took me 2 hours 42 minutes. I’m no way a serious cyclist, just normally a 10 mile a day ride just to keep active. So more than happy with myself today and I feel good !!

Irresponsible.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why’s that ?

Well for starters...

1) Hardly essential. What's wrong with your normal 10 miles?

2) Not exactly staying close to home.

3) Outside your normal fitness level comfort zone.

4) I thought an hour a day was the reasonable approach, although I realise this is just a 'guideline'.

Anyway, each to their own I suppose. Loads of people I normally regularly cycle with seem to think it fine to carry on with club length rides as normal, albeit it solo.
I disagree.

Anyway, to paraphrase Stat....I'm sure you didn't come here for a lecture in Communism. So you go ahead.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Well for starters...

1) Hardly essential. What's wrong with your normal 10 miles?

2) Not exactly staying close to home.

3) Outside your normal fitness level comfort zone.

4) I thought an hour a day was the reasonable approach, although I realise this is just a 'guideline'.

Anyway, each to their own I suppose. Loads of people I normally regularly cycle with seem to think it fine to carry on with club length rides as normal, albeit it solo.
I disagree.

Anyway, to paraphrase Stat....I'm sure you didn't come here for a lecture in Communism. So you go ahead.

I have sent you a PM not into public slagging matches

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have sent you a PM not into public slagging matches

I saw that, thanks :thumbsup:

I appreciate you not making into a slanging match, and I don't feel I have either, as you'll see from my pm reply.

Just a difference of opinion. I still think it's irresponsible. But not going to call you names over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here