NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tell us something we don't already know:-

[tweet]1242331905674092545[/tweet]

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Excellent reflective band for the winter too....

20200324_101538.jpg

Attachments

• -538464354_20180328_173101_2111200_resized.jpg
    -538464354_20180328_173101_2111200_resized.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
So, has anybody been out for a government-approved cycle?

I've seen quite a few comments online criticising people for cycling. Most of these comments seem to have actually come from other cyclists.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I've seen quite a few comments online criticising people for cycling. Most of these comments seem to have actually come from other cyclists.

I went out at 6:30 this morning, cycled from Worthing to Shoreham and back.
Was a lot of people doing the same

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Every day this week. Earlier this week they were lunchtime rides. Yesterday went to black rock and there were a lot of cyclsts along that far end of madiera drive. I found them annoying because they seemed to be meandering (you know the sort, using the city bikes and cycling at a slow place waving all over the road). That's not cycling for exercise! So today I made it a morning ride. Out toward king alfred then back along church road/western road back home. Much quieter, but now the day is dragging.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
No riding for me at the moment, just doesn't feel right to me to be out there pedalling about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I have been out for three rides this week - all of about 35km, all on my mountain bike on the downs. The feeling of glorious isolation out there is wonderful, there are very few people about, especially today, after all the publicity surrounding the fact that people shouldn't drive to beauty spots for their exercise.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

These critical comments...

They are justified if people are going out cycling in groups. However, I have seen comments slagging cyclists off for being out from people who are out walking their dog, or just walking themselves for exercise. Can't they see the irony in criticising people who are basically doing the same thing?

As usual, people see cyclists as 'other', and have a knee-jerk response based on hatred.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've been out a few times this week with the Mrs on her Panhandleton. I need to see it to believe it.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thanks all - I guess it must be a local issue where I am. I think that a few people are posting their strava rides on a couple of facebook groups I am in for local cyclists. Some people have been out for an hour or two, but others are going on 8 hour rides. I think this has resulted in a bit of a binfest (or whatever the Barnsley word for binfest is), saying that an 8 hour ride is hardly essential exercise.

I'm planning to head out (if I get chance) over the weekend, but I'll keep it short - my usual route takes between 1 hour 15 and 1 hour 30. Don't want to take the piss.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
My fitness tanked and my belly ballooned from crimbo onwards because of a couple of manflu episodes and shite weather. Today I did a ride that left me flat out two weeks ago. A saving of 6 minutes but more importantly average bpm down by 13. Tide turned.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I first thought that doing regular rides of a couple of hours was fine.

Then I saw mentioned on GCN that they banned all riding in Spain & Italy (pros exempt apparently), not because of social isolation, but because it's extra pressure on health services if you crash.

I think that's a fair point. So now's the time to reveal that I've secretly had a turbo at home for the past three years. I'm glad I have, as it's now getting even more use.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I first thought that doing regular rides of a couple of hours was fine.

Then I saw mentioned on GCN that they banned all riding in Spain & Italy (pros exempt apparently), not because of social isolation, but because it's extra pressure on health services if you crash.

I think that's a fair point. So now's the time to reveal that I've secretly had a turbo at home for the past three years. I'm glad I have, as it's now getting even more use.

Although the major cause for crashes are also off the road!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Although the major cause for crashes are also off the road!

Quite. DIY accounts for far more A&E appointments than bike crashes I believe.

Currently decorating at home to keep me sane. When I fall off my step ladder, I'll blame GCN for it :thumbsup:

Btw SB. I'm currently reading...How Cycling Can Save The World by Peter Walker.

A real eye opener.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
"People can go for the standard length of run or walk that they ordinarily would have done. But… the important thing is, once a day," cabinet minister Michael Gove has said. [Nicked off BBC website.]

Seems fair enough but:

1. Cycling not mentioned specifically. Adopting that, we can ride as we would have done. For me, weather permitting, now the clock change gives better daylight I would have been commuting 2-3 times per week plus a ride each weekend day.

2. No criticism but being cooped up seems to have made people to go out for walks that they would not have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here