Croydon in flames

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I know someone who is in 'Red Team' (or another similar colour based code team name..) for Brighton council, and they are surprised that London is struggling, as all Cities have teams trained to deal with mass disorder.

Clearly the number of sporadic breakouts have caught London, but they are confident Brighton is 'ready and waiting' if it happens.

Thanks for that sliver of positivity on this thoroughly depressing evening. Let's hope things remain peaceful down here.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
It's very amusing, I'm sure but, again I ask for the facts.

How many police were there, how many are there now.

And, regardless, if there 5 times as many - would it have made any difference?

i dont believe they have been cut yet Bozza

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Not at all. But the Labour administration in 1997 was not faced with a situation where one in every four pounds the government spent was borrowed from volatile markets largely bankrolled by an increasingly assertive China hiking interest rates in those markets to the extent that entire countries are going down the toilet.

In any event, the point is this. You cannot hold one government, of any political persuasion, responsible for this rioting.

Which was exactly my point

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I think it is a lot worse than what they're saying on the news, that map is horrific

24 hour news channels, like the police, just cant keep up. Ealing, Camden etc barely mentioned at the moment. Croydon wasnt recognised by them as in trouble for a long time after it broke out.

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
I think it is a lot worse than what they're saying on the news, that map is horrific
There is a lot of stuff not being reported.

Purley Way has been destroyed and there are still no Police up there.

PC World/Argos/Ikea/Currys/Comet all looted and smashed to shit. Sainsburys looted.

Rumours that Cosmo (Restaurant) and Ikea are on fire as well.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
24 hour news channels, like the police, just cant keep up. Ealing, Camden etc barely mentioned at the moment. Croydon wasnt recognised by them as in trouble for a long time after it broke out.

Mate of mine in Streatham said it kicked off in Croydon hours ago, long before it came on TV. So much going on in London now they don't know where to put the cameras

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sky News now with residents who have had people come into their houses. First reports I've heard of this moving from business to residential properties.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Sky News now with residents who have had people come into their houses. First reports I've heard of this moving from business to residential properties.

Seemed to be pictures earlier, not sure where perhaps Hackney, of 5/6 people climbing over roofs climbing into houses. Disgusting and thoroughly terrifying.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Mate of mine in Streatham said it kicked off in Croydon hours ago, long before it came on TV. So much going on in London now they don't know where to put the cameras

Whereabouts in Streatham out of interest? Meant to be moving up there in 10 days, seems to have avoided the worst of it so far. Cant see it being too long until targeted though.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
the precedents for a defence of self and property are much in their favour, I would expect anything short of continuing to beat them on the ground after they've stopped moving 150 yards away from the shop in question to get off. Also while I have many complaints about my experiences with the police I understand they are very helpful in making sure you're statement in these incidents is worded in a way to minimise the chances of prosecution (decision to prosecute is made by CPS not police)

Well that's encouraging at least. Cheers for that hon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports