Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd for Reading

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Short term they have a nice ground but long term Elm Park 6,000 is all I recall for decades and if JM went they would be back there in 5 years

Eh? You do know Madejski doesn't own them any more, right?

Another club controlled by overseas (Russian) investors.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Reading also bought 2154 two months ago when they lost in the FA Cup . Prices were a lot cheaper so either Reading fans are tight and not prepared to pay League prices or perhaps they turned up to FA Cup match as it maybe meant more to them ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Darren ( @suspolfootball ) said on Albion Roar last night that they sold about 1000 tickets.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Isn't there normally a thread by now where someone has diligently counted nearly every available seat for sale on the club website, carefully researched the likely away attendance and come up with a highly scientific estimate of the crowd for the upcoming fixture?

Regardless, some playoff flirtations and involvement aside, this could be our biggest crowd of the remaining fixtures....

- Albion with playoff hopes
- Decent away following from a reasonably well supported, local-ish club
- The sun hopefully coming out to play

All adding up to something over 28,000 for only the second time this season?

Just called the club as I needed to collect my tickets today and the person I spoke to said there are 1,400 tickets left so close ish to a sell out assuming all regulars turn up

Feb 14, 2010
No, the difference is clear. We lost our fan base, then regained it (with our shiny new stadium). They gained extra fans by building the Mad stad.

Those of us who trace our family supporting the Albion back through the generations know this as our families remember the crowds of 30,000 down the Goldstone for Rochdale, Darlington ect in the old 3rd division. People who understand the Albion know that the Albion have always had a top flight fan base despite having had normally a lower league team. That is why some of us predicted the gates we are getting now and some of us didnt.Some understand the Albion, some dont think about it and some people never can see the wood for the trees. I remember Newcastle getting around 15,000 in the 80's but they always had the support there. Albion, crowds in the 80's dipped because of trouble and then the decline set in and we ended up at Gilliingam but still getting larger gates than most in the division we were playing in despite being 140 mile round trip away. Every pub, town and village in Sussex always had an Albion support and that is why the Albion as a football club are very very lucky and why, when clubs like Spurs or Arsenal roll into town 32000 is nowhere near enough. I went to the old Elm Park. As usual we had around 2500/3000 there and the crowd was around 7000.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Those of us who trace our family supporting the Albion back through the generations know this as our families remember the crowds of 30,000 down the Goldstone for Rochdale, Darlington ect in the old 3rd division. People who understand the Albion know that the Albion have always had a top flight fan base despite having had normally a lower league team. That is why some of us predicted the gates we are getting now and some of us didnt.Some understand the Albion, some dont think about it and some people never can see the wood for the trees. I remember Newcastle getting around 15,000 in the 80's but they always had the support there. Albion, crowds in the 80's dipped because of trouble and then the decline set in and we ended up at Gilliingam but still getting larger gates than most in the division we were playing in despite being 140 mile round trip away. Every pub, town and village in Sussex always had an Albion support and that is why the Albion as a football club are very very lucky and why, when clubs like Spurs or Arsenal roll into town 32000 is nowhere near enough. I went to the old Elm Park. As usual we had around 2500/3000 there and the crowd was around 7000.

I think I saw about a half a dozen matches at the Goldstone in the late 1970s (all in the old Divisions 2 or 3, ie Championship or League One) where the crowds topped 30,000. My second ever Albion match was a Div 3 evening game against Palace in 1975/76. We were about 3rd in the table, they were about 8th. The attendance? 33,300.

When Reading were in Div 3 and Div 4 at Elm Park, they rarely even got into five figures. We have historically always been a much better supported club.

Zen Frenzy

Jul 2, 2013
Withdean
Assuming we're going to comfortably exceed 27,000 today I just hope the atmosphere matches the numbers - it's a great day for it. However, if the joyless drone behind me tells me to sit down everytime I jump out of my seat in excitement I may struggle to curb the urge to turn round and bite him in the face.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Club was obviously expecting Reading to bring 2,000. Very poor turnout from Reading considering the shortish distance to travel.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Just called the club as I needed to collect my tickets today and the person I spoke to said there are 1,400 tickets left so close ish to a sell out assuming all regulars turn up

Which goes to show it is time to stop listening (or believing) a word people in the club shop say. I'm beginning to think they are a bunch of WUMs

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In terms for bums on seats today, both sets of fans should be ashamed. From where I see , WSU, Reading brought around 1500, crap effort. As for us? 20 % empty seats in the North Stand, 15% around the rest of the ground?

Crap effort all round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here