Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd for Reading

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
According to reading website as of Thursday afternoon nearing 1000 tickets have been sold for Brighton match.

Absolutely appalling turn out for a match against your play off rivals on a Saturday afternoon & only a 90 minute drive or train ride away.

Agreed. They are the luckiest fans in the country. Don't deserve the relative success they have had under Mad-ski and the Russian. Truly tinpot.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Poor effort from Reading. Local trip, six pointer, nice weather. What's the problem?

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Short term they have a nice ground but long term Elm Park 6,000 is all I recall for decades and if JM went they would be back there in 5 years

Despite the club announcing sales are going well for Reading, there actually seem to be more than the usual number of seats available. I'm not talking about the bonus seats in the south, but the ones that normally just about sell out in the SW corner, WSL, North and East lower.

Maybe the club are just releasing them all now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Short term they have a nice ground but long term Elm Park 6,000 is all I recall for decades and if JM went they would be back there in 5 years

Those sort of posts surprise me given our recent transformation: aren't we pretty much the same?

We've always travelled in greater number though, I'll grant you that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Those sort of posts surprise me given our recent transformation: aren't we pretty much the same?

I think that's slightly different though. Our support dwindled for all the reasons we know about, Reading's was always at that kind of level and therefore I think you could argue convincingly that our fanbase is much bigger than theirs.

I shall now search stats to show that!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

No, we are NOT the same. We have always had better support than Reading, but suffered badly with our 150-mile round trip to Gillingham, and then the wonder that is Withdean.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No, we are NOT the same. We have always had better support than Reading, but suffered badly with our 150-mile round trip to Gillingham, and then the wonder that is Withdean.

OK, not the same, but I still think we're not entirely dissimilar. Clubs in affluent Southern areas, not traditional football heartlands that, with rich benefactors and shiny new stadia, have seen a significant upturn in fortunes.

I can't be arsed to debate it though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think that's slightly different though. Our support dwindled for all the reasons we know about, Reading's was always at that kind of level and therefore I think you could argue convincingly that our fanbase is much bigger than theirs.

I shall now search stats to show that!

Couldn't agree more. I'm old enough to view this from the correct historical perspective. Our fan base is and was always bigger than Readings. Even their then manager, Steve Coppell, recognised this (and upset their tinpot 'army' of fans by saying so publicly!)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OK, not the same, but I still think we're not entirely dissimilar. Clubs in affluent Southern areas, not traditional football heartlands that, with rich benefactors and shiny new stadia, have seen a significant upturn in fortunes.

No, the difference is clear. We lost our fan base, then regained it (with our shiny new stadium). They gained extra fans by building the Mad stad.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
if Reading are only bringing a 1000, then I don't think we will get more than 27200. Poor from Reading, very poor.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

A quick analysis of our respective average attendances over the last 86 years shows we had a higher attendance for 52 of those years, Reading for 34.

However of that 34, 15 of those came 1997-2011 when we were at Gillingham or Withdean. We have had higher crowds since 2012.

If you discount the Withdean/Gillingham era we have had higher average attendances in 52 of the last 71 years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm absolutely with you. Back in the days when they nicked Coppell off us they were probably the sort of model we were aiming at when discussing our new ground. Support had dropped so low in the mid 80s and again in the dark days that I believe I described us at the time as a "sleeping Reading". That we've now exceeded them in terms of what we have at the Amex is mostly down to Tony Bloom.

1000 is piss poor, don't get me wrong, but why do we have to be so arrogant and sniffy about it. I still remember the days when we only took 1000 or so to London matches and that was when we had the Goldstone.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really should do some proper work, but here is our respective average attendances graphed.

The only time when we suffered significantly lower crowds than Reading was 1997-2011

Attachments

• Brighton Reading.jpg
    Brighton Reading.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 452

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I really should do some proper work, but here is our respective average attendances graphed.

The only time when we suffered significantly lower crowds than Reading was 1997-2011

Whatever you do don't show The Major how to do that. Though I think he's either still banned or bored of it all now.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Whatever you do don't show The Major how to do that. Though I think he's either still banned or bored of it all now.

Just for The Major here is the comparison with Palace.....hidden away in the Reading attendance thread the Palace trolls will never find it :)

Attachments

• Brighton Palace.jpg
    Brighton Palace.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 440

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Reading only have 2 blocks! I notice you can buy Block S1B but it says restriction away fans! Is this the first time we have sold S1B and S1E and just left S1C and S1D for the away fans?

Looks like QPR taken the full allocation as only S1G available to Brighton fans.

BTW we took 1,687 to Reading on a Sunday lunch time!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Assuming a poor turnout of Reading fans crowd will be about 28k.

But pay on the day so sunshine could boost it.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
To be fair to Reading tickets are at least £33 as this is a category A match. The very reason we haven't shifted a few more tickets I would imagine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here