Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Criteria for choosing the other teams you follow

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I keep loose tabs on how Crawley are getting on as they are the only other Sussex football team in the FL. I also follow Forest Green Rovers as they aren’t too far away from where I now live and their eco friendly ethos goes hand in hand with my own beliefs re sustainability.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Brighton because i was born there and went to school down there..... parents took me to Spurs all the time... Family from London

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If your're ever up in better times ,i'm happy to have a beer or 2

Love to. I lived in Mount Pleasant Road for a few weeks after birth.

I'm from Camberley- As Piggy said in 'Lord of the Flies'. Although Frimley Cottage Hospital is on the birth certificate. Although I'm not sure if Frimley was regarded as a town in its own right for ancestry purposes (it says district of Camberley).

Perhaps you can solve the age old question of whether I was born in Frimley or Camberley.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Aidrieonians 1878 -2002 . Met a guy Mark Allinson Airdrie fan who was manager of a band called Big Boy Tomato early 90s,went to a few gigs and then up to Airdrie . First game Falkirk away November 92 5 1 defeat hard times had about £40 in my pocket .Friend was a Train guard and with some freebies and dodging made it up and back . Treated by all the boys with respect and friends made ,not been up since 2001 , Sadly mark was taken with cancer a few years back RIP.

Hamrun Spartans first team i saw in Malta in 2000 3 0 win over Xaghra Tornadoes Paul Zammitt hat trick .Seen them many times over the years and now after many years in the doldrums sit top of the league.

Hajduk Split every time i go its mental ,football is poor but the fans make the day . 2 years ago finally stood in the north with The Torcida and it was crazy.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Love to. I lived in Mount Pleasant Road for a few weeks after birth.

I'm from Camberley- As Piggy said in 'Lord of the Flies'. Although Frimley Cottage Hospital is on the birth certificate. Although I'm not sure if Frimley was regarded as a town in its own right for ancestry purposes (it says district of Camberley).

Perhaps you can solve the age old question of whether I was born in Frimley or Camberley.

Frimley

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Goztepe! From my mother-in-law's home town of Izmir. They are the Turkish Brighton. In the 24 years I've followed them they've gone from 2nd tier to 1st, to 2nd, to 1st, then all the way to 5th tier. Making it back to the top flight the same day as Brighton and have stayed up on almost the exact same day as us every year! Strangely whilst their gorgeous new home only holds 20,000, they are a massive club holding the world record 2nd division attendance record - over 80,000 for a 1980s promotion derby. They also dress like Melchester Rovers and their fans hate Erdogan and his religious followers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Weren't you a Chelsea or Leeds fan as a teenager? or was that your brothers?

Me and Dave were Leeds (Dave still is, the utter madman). Case was and is Chelsea. But from the vantage of the tellybox only.

Hope all's well with you :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When I was 7 I plumped for Leeds but only because everyone else in the family wanted Chelsea to win the cup (We're originally from London). In 73, I switched to Leicester because my sister followed Liverpool and they were playing in the cup semi final. (Wallington, Whitworth, Weller and Worthington!). At some point I momentarily switched to Utd and in 76 I started this long and winding road watching the Albion.

Now, if I have a second team, it's probably Arsenal and that's ever since they signed Bergkamp who I thought was just a sublime footballer.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Schalke 04 : First continental game I went to. They were away to FC Köln in 82. Schalke had just come up from the second division and this was their first away game back. Utterly crazy atmosphere. Have over the years met a great bunch of UK based fans one of whom organises a big summer party each year. Lucky to attend Champions League Semi final, and the Cup Final. Sad days now, we will be back.

Cowdenbeath: Family connection. Club is now in serious financial trouble post covid, so now both season ticket holder (games on video link) and shareholder.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Good. So if anyone asks me if a famous person came from where I was born I can now say Johnny Wilkinson (and conveniently omit Bros)

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
AFL: Geelong, lived here for over 10 years now. Aussie rules his a great game and I enjoy going to watch. AFL is all consuming over here, especially in Geelong.

Saw them play Carlton many years back. Arrived at stadium to be greeted with ‘Drinking or Non Drinking’ by the steward. Good start.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burgess Hill Town.

Went to my first game when junior was about 4 and showing an interest in football as we live 2-3 mins walk from the ground. Predictable non-league stuff......scrappy game, lots of bad language, a red card for a punch and the Hillians ‘barmy army’ (at the time led I believe by a former North Stand nutcase but not seen him there for ages now) singing all the way through. Been regular attendees since.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Weymouth - I was born and bred in Dorset and I could never support Bournemouth (from Hampshire as far as I’m concerned!

Cork City - I nearly ended up living there and I’ve had an affinity for them ever since.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Deportivo La Coruna - mums place of birth. I have also seen them play.

Chicago Cubs - A scene from the Blues Brothers

Munich 1860 - because they are not Bayern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Aidrieonians 1878 -2002 . Met a guy Mark Allinson Airdrie fan who was manager of a band called Big Boy Tomato early 90s,went to a few gigs and then up to Airdrie . First game Falkirk away November 92 5 1 defeat hard times had about £40 in my pocket .Friend was a Train guard and with some freebies and dodging made it up and back . Treated by all the boys with respect and friends made ,not been up since 2001 , Sadly mark was taken with cancer a few years back RIP.

Hamrun Spartans first team i saw in Malta in 2000 3 0 win over Xaghra Tornadoes Paul Zammitt hat trick .Seen them many times over the years and now after many years in the doldrums sit top of the league.

Hajduk Split every time i go its mental ,football is poor but the fans make the day . 2 years ago finally stood in the north with The Torcida and it was crazy.

I saw Airdrieonians quite a few times in the 90’s at the old Broomfield Park, with the quaint Edwardian pavilion in the corner. My ex-gf’s Dad took me, probably just a 1,000 of us rattling around in there. I was genned up on their staunch Protestant history (back in the day). We also went to Albion Rovers sizeable concrete bowl of a stadium just a mile away, but then with crowds of just 250, the lowest in any of the English and Scottish ‘professional’ leagues. Both clubs suffering from the lure of Rangers and Celtic.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Crawley Town. Non league when I first went to watch the Red Devils, I can't say for certain, but I doubt I would have been a Brighton fan if I could have got league football at Town Mead in the important teenage years. As a schoolboy, I would go to Brighton games home and away all over the place on a Saturday, but most midweek games I couldn't get to Brighton, so I would go to Crawley games.
Back then, football violence at Brighton games was something between the home and away fans, at Crawley it was between the home and away players, sometimes just between the home players.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
One of my best mates is assistant manager at national league north side. So obviously support them. It has been great.

I grew up in the south west and watched lots of Torquay as a kid so follow their scores too. My gcse year in 94/95 we had a great time going to every home match with pals. Couple of busses from my village to a near town then another bus to Torquay. Then a long walk up that sodding hill from the marina to plainmoor. Great days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here