Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Criteria for choosing the other teams you follow

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Highland League side Forres Mechanics who I get to see about 4 times a season as they are my son's local side.

Hibernian, because they play in green and white (the same as the mighty Bognor Rocks) and when I first saw them at Easter Road I thought the fans felt genuine and it was a great ground to watch football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Other teams, you say? ???

Got a soft spot for Bradford after following them on my fa cup journey. Bradford v Dartford 2nd rd Millwall v Bradford 3rd rd, Bradford v millwall Chelsea v Bradford 4th rd Bradford v Sunderland 5th rd, Bradford v Reading 6th rd and Reading v Bradford. Best fans that I encountered on my fa cup journey and try to watch them a couple of times each season. 👍

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
AFL: Geelong, lived here for over 10 years now. Aussie rules his a great game and I enjoy going to watch. AFL is all consuming over here, especially in Geelong.

A League: Western United are in their second season. Its interesting getting behind a start up club. Even though it's a bit crap I enjoy the football.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Used to follow Man Utd a lot growing up and watched many games in London. It was the days when the Albion were in the lower leagues and with TV only showing mainly Division 1 games. Most kids had a second team they could watch on Match of the Day. I was lucky in that the likes of Best, Charlton, Law etc were in their prime but the Albion have always been my first team. I have had no interest in Man Utd since my late teens thankfully.

1969-73, for similar reasons, The Leeds. Long before MOT (the original A side of the single is called Leeds United' and MOT was called 'Leeds, Leeds, Leeds' and no, I didn't buy it because....it's shite!). I cried myself to sleep when Celtic knocked 'us' out of the European cup, and that ref (*Tinkler?) gifted WBA two offside goals to steal the first division title off 'us' :lolol:

I have long since had my DNA dry-cleaned, of course. Every EPL game now is strategic - I want to win whoever will give us benefit by a win. Usually I hope for a draw. Brighton were shit when I was a lad and, after a few years of unprecedented nose bleed, got shitter, so to have watched the phoenix rise from the ashes has been pure joy. Other clubs are simply rivals, opponents or irrelevant, now, in terms of 'affections'.

That said I will watch any footy on the telly and enjoy it.

*My memory and thirst for revenge are strong :lolol: https://twitter.com/lufchistory/status/1251027348700438528?lang=en

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Up the Gills :whistle:

No, mate. Not no never.

I went to their playoff final against Wigan (we bought their captain - worked out rather well) but Gillingham had 46,000 'fans' there that day. Went with my Liverpool supporting pal and neighbour (who has turned his nose up at the Reading game on TV tonight which is why I'm home, the soft Northern shite). Wigan took 10,000. It would have been rude to have not had a day out, with them practically giving tickets away.

:thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No, mate. Not no never.

I went to their playoff final against Wigan (we bought their captain - worked out rather well) but Gillingham had 46,000 'fans' there that day. Went with my Liverpool supporting pal and neighbour (who has turned his nose up at the Reading game on TV tonight which is why I'm home, the soft Northern shite). Wigan took 10,000. It would have been rude to have not had a day out, with them practically giving tickets away.

:thumbsup:

Some of my family are Gillingham fans :eek:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
In the mid 60s - before my first real game at the Goldstone most kids at my school in Burgess Hill followed a ‘big’ team - mine was Spurs and I just loved Jimmy Greaves so even from when I first watched Albion live - 67/68 ish I guess I still looked for his results - therefore West Ham next - by then though Albion fervour had kicked in and I never looked back.......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some of my family are Gillingham fans :eek:

My sympathies.

And you are burdened with having to buy them the more expensive 6-digit gloves as presents. :nono:

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Only the Albion .

But great respect and one eye on Charlton , stuck by us . Whenever i have met a Charlton fan in a pub while wearing my colours , have always had a beer and a chinwag . Come on you Addick`s .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Albion- Local team, historical connection
Aston Villa (now redundant). My brother, for reasons unknown, bought me an Aston Villa belt when I was about 8. I was Villa in the school Subbuteo league. I have a passing interest but the truth was I went off them after they won the league (too successful for my liking). I barely look for their results these days.
Aldershot Town- Nearest to where I was born. My first home was close to their ground. I've been to a few matches, league and non-league, over the years. Hope to meet [MENTION=27288]atfc village[/MENTION] one day.
Whitehawk- Again nearest local team. STH.
Lazio (now redundant)- Adopted them as my Italian team when football was shown on C4. Had the shirt, liked the colours and the fact they weren't fashionable. Fascist connections mean I moved away from them. Shame really.
Augsburg- My German team. No reason really. Very average- which suits me.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Albion- Local team, historical connection
Aston Villa (now redundant). My brother, for reasons unknown, bought me an Aston Villa belt when I was about 8. I was Villa in the school Subbuteo league. I have a passing interest but the truth was I went off them after they won the league (too successful for my liking). I barely look for their results these days.
Aldershot Town- Nearest to where I was born. My first home was close to their ground. I've been to a few matches, league and non-league, over the years. Hope to meet [MENTION=27288]atfc village[/MENTION] one day.
Whitehawk- Again nearest local team. STH.
Lazio (now redundant)- Adopted them as my Italian team when football was shown on C4. Had the shirt, liked the colours and the fact they weren't fashionable. Fascist connections mean I moved away from them. Shame really.
Augsburg- My German team. No reason really. Very average- which suits me.

If your're ever up in better times ,i'm happy to have a beer or 2

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Although the Albion are the only team I actively support, I have over the years picked up an affection for a number of other teams. Normally, this has been either because I've seen them live or visited the city they are based in although there are some others that I've chosen for different reasons. I'd be interested to hear what teams others follow and why. Mine are:

Mainz - visited Wiesbaden for work once and spent a night in a bar talking to die-hard Mainz fans who lauded their bright new manager, name of Klopp.
Atalanta - visited Bergamo
Real Betis - despite watching Seville play when I visited, I was subsequently told that Betis are the more working class club so transferred allegiance to them
Cowdenbeath - from the days of looking at all the league results in the Sunday papers and seeing they had lost in front of about 150 fans. Cemented when I found out they are called The Blue Brazil. Covid kiboshed my plan to go and watch a game but it will happen.
Chicago White Sox - first (and currently only) MLB team I've seen live
Phoenix Suns - first (and currently only) NBA team I've seen live
I’ve been to Cowdenbeath a few times. Make sure you go to Wee Jimmies bar in the high street.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Miami Dolphins in the Dan Marino era because of, er... Dan Marino and the ridiculous amount of Touchdowns that he threw to the Marks Brothers (I know this is going to go above the heads of most on here). I even went out to Miami for a long weekend to watch the Dolphins and was lucky enough to see Eric Dickerson as well (Indianapolis Colts). Thought Miami was a bit of a shithole BTW.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here