Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Criteria for choosing the other teams you follow

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
When I was a young nipper in the 70's used to go and watch the big clubs like, Man U, Liverpool, Spurs etc and a liking of Leeds as they use to win everything. Brighton were always my real team and my 'like' of Leeds stopped when my grandad told me on asking how Leeds got on when getting back to the car near the Goldstone ' you support only one team son, one team, remember that' and I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Football is only about Brighton. My son, though also Brighton through and through had a Barca thing going on for a while (basically siding with Messi against Ronaldo in banter with his mates) and we both went to a game out there. Barcelona is a brilliant city, the stadium is incredible and I watched Messi and Iniesta take apart the opposition in third gear, so it was a great weekend, but that was it. I keep half an eye on El Classico and that's about it. Now the boy is bigger he wants to go to Germany for a game when everything is (hopefully) back to normal so we'll try and do a Leverkusen game I guess. But that's only out of affiliation with Brighton.

Other sports are different. Used to regularly watch the Sydney Swans in AFL when I lived there so they are my AFL team. And the Bears for NFL. Back in the mid 80s when Channel 4 first started showing NFL one of my best mates at school really got into it. He was a big lad and very good at rugby but he got in with the local B52s American Football club and proved himself good enough to play in the states for a high school (is now in Denmark coaching a team over there I believe). I used to watch C4 and the B52s regularly.

Anyway, that meant picking a team and the Bears were the most high profile around. They had Walter Payton, a great man and superb running back. They had a quarterback called Jim McMahon who looked and acted like a Beastie Boy. And they had a player called THE FRIDGE. It was a glory pick at the time as they were doing well, including a Superbowl win but I've stuck with them and they've been reassuringly shit for donkey's years.

Walter Payton (Sweetness) probably my favourite NFL Player, just above Dan Marino and Jerry Rice. Terribly sad he died so young. EDIT: was never a Bears Fan!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Whitehawk, having played for them from the age of about 8 until 17.
Barcelona - been there a few times
Berwick Rangers - play in the wrong country but represent us north of the border

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here