Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig who?

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
This is a good signing he's a quality player. I saw him first hand when he was at Tannadice playing in a good team which included: Sandaza, Gomis and Bauben. He can run box to box and is a good wide player and very good crosser of the ball - for Ulloa!

Surprised though as we have always had enough wide players and also surprised as I would have thought that Conway was above Noone in pecking order at Cardiff.

Bridge could have his hands full if both he and Conway play on Sunday.

One issue though is team pattern - Conway tends to play wide on the right, similar position to that which S Dave has been playing - especially in home games. I assume therefore that Barnes if played will tend to play on the left behind the striker or pushing on from midfield if Buckley keeps the wide berth in a front 3 of Ulloa, Buckley and Conway. With Lua Lua as an impact sub that is a pretty impressive front line, pacey, ability to run at defences and supply Ulloa.

I guess the loan striker issue has not been resolved as Obika is injured - which tends to strengthen the view that he was the identified loan forward. Any injury to Ulloa or Barnes (on his return) may require a Plan B as far as a loan striker is concerned - if Obika does not get over his injury quickly enough.

UTA

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surprised though as we have always had enough wide players

No we haven't - we really quite short. Oscar seems to want to play Orlandi down the middle so we have 2 genuine wingers, and no cover at all for them. Ideally you want 4.

I'm hoping this loan signing will mean that Barnes will become back up for Ulloa rather than a left midfielder, and come on for the final 15 minutes when Leo is knackered.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
No we haven't - we really quite short. Oscar seems to want to play Orlandi down the middle so we have 2 genuine wingers, and no cover at all for them. Ideally you want 4.

I'm hoping this loan signing will mean that Barnes will become back up for Ulloa rather than a left midfielder, and come on for the final 15 minutes when Leo is knackered.

Sorry - I agree with the point you make, my grammar has let me down. I was referring to historically over the last few seasons, wide players is where we have tended to have a bit of strength in depth. Apologies for my lack of clarity! I guess you agree with the rest?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This is a good signing he's a quality player. I saw him first hand when he was at Tannadice playing in a good team which included: Sandaza, Gomis and Bauben. He can run box to box and is a good wide player and very good crosser of the ball - for Ulloa!

Surprised though as we have always had enough wide players and also surprised as I would have thought that Conway was above Noone in pecking order at Cardiff.

Bridge could have his hands full if both he and Conway play on Sunday.

One issue though is team pattern - Conway tends to play wide on the right, similar position to that which S Dave has been playing - especially in home games. I assume therefore that Barnes if played will tend to play on the left behind the striker or pushing on from midfield if Buckley keeps the wide berth in a front 3 of Ulloa, Buckley and Conway. With Lua Lua as an impact sub that is a pretty impressive front line, pacey, ability to run at defences and supply Ulloa.

I guess the loan striker issue has not been resolved as Obika is injured - which tends to strengthen the view that he was the identified loan forward. Any injury to Ulloa or Barnes (on his return) may require a Plan B as far as a loan striker is concerned - if Obika does not get over his injury quickly enough.

UTA

He plays middle and on the left according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk

Right footed but so is KLL. Probably can play either side though.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
He plays middle and on the left according to www.transfermarkt.co.uk

Right footed but so is KLL. Probably can play either side though.
He can definitely play though middle box to box; but whenever I've seen him at Dundee Utd and when he's played against us he's been on rhs. So whilst I wouldnt suggest transfermarkt have got their facts wrong its better imho to go by what you've seen rather than what in transfermarkt or wiki say!!

If he can switch sides like Buckley and Noone could so much the better. The other thing he can do is get back and cover the defender which Lua Lua struggles with but Noone was pretty good at. At least that's what I've seen if transfermarkt says different I'll defer to them until you see it for your own eyes!!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So, because you have a lack of football league knowledge he must be rubbish? Ok.

Where has anyone said that? I hadn't seen Conway mentioned at all as a potential signing (though I don't spend all day trawling through the forum) and I guess the OP was in the same boat. He started the thread with the same question I had when I heard the name. There's surely no shame in that. He certainly made no judgement on the player. Unfortunately, several people (the usual suspects, of course) decided to make a judgement on the OP rather than fill him in with the knowledge he was lacking. Thankfully, there are others who are far more helpful and have provided some information on the player, which mostly seems very positive.

So if you don't mind, I'm getting quite impressed by what people are saying about our new signing, so can we leave it now?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will also hopefully push Lua Lua down the pecking order as he hasnt performed very well for literally months. Interesting that yet once again a name that has not been mentioned by anybody.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Will also hopefully push Lua Lua down the pecking order as he hasnt performed very well for literally months. Interesting that yet once again a name that has not been mentioned by anybody.

Apart from the very last match we played where he looked dangerous throughout his time on the pitch and got an assist or the last few home games of last seasons where he tore a few teams apart (like Blackpool)?

So basically....the last few months...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Apart from the very last match we played where he looked dangerous throughout his time on the pitch and got an assist or the last few home games of last seasons where he tore a few teams apart (like Blackpool)?

So basically....the last few months...

He also saved us from an certain goal at the end with a great bit of defending, despite pulling up with what looked to be an injury shortly before.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Barnes, if he plays on Sunday, will surely only be a sub given his injury problems

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Christ...were you at the Millwall game? We were really struggling until Orlandi and KLL came on. Suddenly, KLL was doing all the things that the inept Buckley was singularly failing to achieve..beating people and getting balls into the box. Who was it who set up the late equaliser...let me think....oh yes...it was KLL.
I find it staggering that the underwhelmingly ordinary Buckley keeps getting a starting place. One decent game in 8 or 10 and everyone is raving about him. He hasn't ' trained on '...he flatters to deceive...he is easily shut out of a game. In short..a one-trick pony who has been found out. Massively overrated.
Should now be third in the pecking order behind Conway and KLL.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Craig Conway is a touch better than Craig Noone.

I would like to think our existing players would get a chance to cover for our injured first teamers. Although Conway is better than Noone, I think Lualua should be given another go.

I never figured out why Mackay signed Noone. I expect he really wanted to sign Buckley and had to make do with Noone!

I expected we wanted Noone back because he was left-sided as a straight swop for the injured Orlandi?

Conway seems more like cover for Crofts.

Last edited:

kjgood

I live near Cardiff and have been to see Cardiff City play quite a few times over the last few years with friends, I'm disappointed by us signing Conway to be honest even on loan. Yes he's an experienced player at Championship level and an International, but he hasn't got a lot of pace or even trickery, i'd take Noone over Conway anytime. I can only suppose Oscar wanted an experienced stand in to hold the fort and not someone to take us forward, that's what this signing is.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I live near Cardiff and have been to see Cardiff City play quite a few times over the last few years with friends, I'm disappointed by us signing Conway to be honest even on loan. Yes he's an experienced player at Championship level and an International, but he hasn't got a lot of pace or even trickery, i'd take Noone over Conway anytime. I can only suppose Oscar wanted an experienced stand in to hold the fort and not someone to take us forward, that's what this signing is.

He replaced Noone on one TV match and played better. Not by much though. Enough for me to notice.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here