Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail-Smith.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
I know everyone is going to slate me for this but I actually dont think he is that great. Loads of energy and pace but not alot of class. Murray is/was a better player. I can't imagine CMS being a Poyet sort of player, yoju must consider Peterborough have been a team who spent the first half of the season scoring 8 goals a game but yet still losing every game. I think he'll be good in the championship but nothing special.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know everyone is going to slate me for this but I actually dont think he is that great. Loads of energy and pace but not alot of class. Murray is/was a better player. I can't imagine CMS being a Poyet sort of player, yoju must consider Peterborough have been a team who spent the first half of the season scoring 8 goals a game but yet still losing every game. I think he'll be good in the championship but nothing special.

You do appreciate that as a STRIKER, his primary role was the 'scoring 8' part?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Thought he was outstanding last night, still had pace after 90 mins and looked a threat every time he got the ball. If Boro play like that in the final they will batter Huddersfield who I thought were lucky to beat Bournmouth.
I would LOVE to see him join us, doesn't look likely though if Norwich are after him, pity.

Falmer

Banned
Nov 22, 2010
Earth
You do appreciate that as a STRIKER, his primary role was the 'scoring 8' part?

My point is he would have had alot more chances than most strikers in our league to hit the onion bag simply because of Peterborough gung-ho tactics. It's just my opinion and I could be wrong but I dont think he would of scored as many playing for us, abit like what Darren Bent was like for Spurs and England.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Oddly, as the Murray comparisons roll in, Mackail Smith is absolutely top class as a defender from the front. Glenn's ability in defending corners etc is as good as I can recall from a forward player at our level. So they are completely different both as strikers and in terms of what they offer as team players. Clearly Murray is the better footballer, it's arguable who is the more effective player though. Mackail Smith certainly doesn't appear to be the type who is reliant on confidence and being settled however while Murray is a little, shall we say, brittle.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
The way Birtles was bigging him up last night, put a few more noughts on his fee ! Even at one stage said Brighton stopped Posh scoring at home, but didn't deserve to win ?? Think 3-0 is fairly comprehensive!

I thought he said that too so had to rewind it. He didn't. He said MK Dons didn't deserve to win the 1-0 game on the telly.
Back on topic, I've heard CMS is a target.

danwa08

Sep 19, 2010
Seemed to put himself about abit in last nights play-off against MK Dons,and looks a tricky customer does anyone know have we looked at him ?

are you havin a laugh??? :lol: he's premiership bound, norwich being top of the list. he's prem league now we'd of had no chance.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Trouble is for us that Norwich are expert at cherry-picking players of great potential and near-proven ability at a relatively modest price. I'm thinking Crofts, Simeon Jackson and probably CMS. They've already earmarked Bennett as such a player. Sooner we start thinking like them the better IMHO.

Spot on. Lambert's knowledge of the better teams and players in the middle 2 divisions, gave him his cherry-picking leads as Borwich looked a good bet players due to the ascension.

The Bennett thing failed as Bloom had the financial muscle (plus Gus's success on the pitch) to tell them to ****-off. So no repetition of the earlier Crofts raid.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
Murray - the natural footballer (but to only to a level) and finisher, and works harder / is a team player more than some would argue.

CMS - great athlete and attitude, and has obviously worked hard on his game. Finishing better than it was.

Reading Posh

Sophisticated rhetorician
Jul 8, 2003
Off M4 J11
Out of interest, how come Peterborough could afford to keep him when they were last in L1, then kept him in the Championship, then still kept hm for another season in L1? How long is the queue?
Aaron Maclean was out-scoring CMS and that dickhead interim manager Jim Gannon dropped him to the bench near the end of the season.

I think he has probably improved even more this season which has really got him noticed.Great all-round player.
This has been his best season for Posh by far. He's always had the workrate but this season the goals have not stopped.

I'd rather sign Tomlin than Boyd.
Good spot, Tomlin is 22 and will go far. Boyd's the classier player mind.

CMS - great athlete and attitude, and has obviously worked hard on his game. Finishing better than it was.
Before this season CMS had a shocking record with one-on-ones.

I'm gutted to see him go, but I cannot fault his attitude and dedication towards Posh. I hope he signs off with the winning goal at OT.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
CMS is an outstanding player who is well out of our reach.
Don't be so sure. All I know is I will be cheering on Huddersfield next weekend!!:D

I dont think people should read too much into this "wage cap". If the right players comes along at the right price, we'll sign him. THe wage cap is all hte club believed Murray was worth and wouldn't go over it for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here