Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail Smith suffers another injury

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He looked totally lost in one reminded me of Holroyd but you probably think he was a world beater as well whatever floats you boat I suppose, he will still be gone at the end of the season

You are a very strange man.

And seeing as he's only on a contract until the end of the season, it's not exactly a Nostradamus like prediction to suggest he might leave at that point, is it?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yes I am actually and but also a realistic one, but if you think Obika and rodders are Messi and Aguero through your rose tinted glasses you might want to book a date at the opticians to get them changed

I read this, laughed then noticed the word 'realistic'. Comedy genius.

I'm sure everyone is aware that Obika and Rodriguez aren't Messi & Aguero (a splendid parallel there) otherwise they wouldn't be with us, they'd be with...ooh, Man City or Barca, perhaps.

Also, can i borrow your crystal ball? If you know what's happening at the end of the season, i might use it to see what the weather is like then - saves me booking a holiday and having it ruined, see.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
FWIW I think Rodriguez will be ok. His runs are intelligent, but we need to hit the right ball for him and do it early.

His touch was poor versus Leeds but then it was good versus Doncaster.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Yes I am actually and but also a realistic one, but if you think Obika and rodders are Messi and Aguero through your rose tinted glasses you might want to book a date at the opticians to get them changed
I have not seen anybody on here compare any of our players to Messi or Aguero. You obviously do otherwise why mention them, if you are going to compare every Brighton player against that calibre of player you are going to be highly disappointed. How you can comment on Rodriquez after two games beggars belief. If you were a loyal supporter you would support the players not slag them off before they have even put on their boots.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I would say the isolation of our striker has got far worse under Garcia. Obviously we've had injuries but the gap between our striker and the rest of the team and the stupidity of banging long balls at him has definetely not improved

Initially Oscar played a very conservative formation, probably because he was new to the Championship, new in post, needed to see how the squad performed and was constrained by the number of injuries. Gus never had to put up with the same long term injury problems to key players and cobble together an improvised attack. It would be interesting to see how often Oscar has been able to field the first choice team compared to Gus.

However I think Oscar has now relaxed a bit and in the last two or three games has shown signs of playing a more attacking formation. Two wingers and a central striker is quite radical compared to earlier in this season.

It's a shame that CMS is injured because he would surely benefit from playing with Ulloa and Buckley and vice versa (as would Barnes too if he had been given the same support).

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I think you should consider seriously whether you are a supporter or just a follower, cause it dont look as if you are supporting some of our players.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I'm a bit confused as to why everybody's desperate to get him back. Nice fella, fan favourite but clearly out of his depth at this level. A clear difference between his time in League 1 and the Championship [first two columns - games played and goals scored]:

View attachment 51451

Since he has joined us though he seems to always receives the ball with his back to goal, and then holds the the ball up, he's not that kind of striker is he, we should be playing balls through for him to run onto. Im sure if he was played him correctly he would have alot more success on the goal front.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
FWIW I think Rodriguez will be ok. His runs are intelligent, but we need to hit the right ball for him and do it early.

His touch was poor versus Leeds but then it was good versus Doncaster.

Yeah its like his runs are too quick for our players to catch onto. Hopefully he will click with the rest of team and they can spot his runs and time the passes better.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Since he has joined us though he seems to always receives the ball with his back to goal, and then holds the the ball up, he's not that kind of striker is he, we should be playing balls through for him to run onto. Im sure if he was played him correctly he would have alot more success on the goal front.

True (in part) Gus never quite played to CMS's strengths - but CMS would be a hell of a lot more effective if he has Buckley wide and Ulloa knocking balls to him and vice versa. That combo has never been unleashed in anger. I'm sure all three would take their games to a new level given proper fitness and a decent run together. It would certainly make opposition defences lives a heck of a lot more difficult and I reckon we would score a load more goals. With Ince and Stephens sitting deep and a fit Crofts and Orlandi pushing forward we could really flourish.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
True (in part) Gus never quite played to CMS's strengths - but CMS would be a hell of a lot more effective if he has Buckley wide and Ulloa knocking balls to him and vice versa. That combo has never been unleashed in anger. I'm sure all three would take their games to a new level given proper fitness and a decent run together. It would certainly make opposition defences lives a heck of a lot more difficult and I reckon we would score a load more goals. With Ince and Stephens sitting deep and a fit Crofts and Orlandi pushing forward we could really flourish.

Its a tough one, ideally Ulloa knocking balls onto CMS to run onto seems to make sense. But also Ulloa seems to score alot of goals from headers coming from out wide, we dont want to mess that up by having Ulloa being the one crossing instead of being the one on the end of crosses.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Heard CMS was injured again last week not sure we will see him in the 1st team any time soon, Hopefully Hoskins will fare better but it seems the club or more to the point the scouts could cost us the play-offs due to not signing decent striker cover during the transfer window, definitely need to get their fingers out now .... sadly Obika who has had numerous clubs is not up to it and Rodriguez a poor mans substitute and will be gone at the end of the season

There is money available should Oscar decide he wishes to get someone else in on loan.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Its a tough one, ideally Ulloa knocking balls onto CMS to run onto seems to make sense. But also Ulloa seems to score alot of goals from headers coming from out wide, we dont want to mess that up by having Ulloa being the one crossing instead of being the one on the end of crosses.

That's why I would also have Buckley in my ideal formation - to supply crosses onto Ulloa's head for goals and also for Ulloa's knock downs for CMS - plus Buckley to occasionally cut in and score goals himself.

Buckley and CMS have linked up quite well in the past if they are not played too far apart - I recall they tore Huddersfield a new one together at their place - and did the same to Ipswich at The Amex. If only we can get them all fit together and give them a run in the side. Happy days.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In March /April last year with Barnes out for his ref trip red card and CMS injured and just Ulloa available we had one of our best runs of form in the championship so far. (George Barker was even on the bench a few times which shows how thin it was. And Gus didn't want to or couldn't land a loanee )
Now available we have Ulloa, rod,Obika with Hoskins (in Dev squad Monday) and CMS (delay put back a fortnight via the new groin) not far off.

KLL , Buckley , SD, Orlandi could And should be with scoring more too and aren't far off from doing so. (Woodwork, luck) but somehow this idea that our squad is weak in terms of goal power is a bit misplaced.

One poor touch from Obika on Monday hardly consigns him to the scrap heap. His goal against port vale was taken v. Well and he's barely. Played more than 10mins. Difficult to judge.

And Ulloa really is scoring a goal a game after a long stretch out.

I'm half full...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In March /April last year with Barnes out for his ref trip red card and CMS injured and just Ulloa available we had one of our best runs of form in the championship so far. (George Barker was even on the bench a few times which shows how thin it was. And Gus didn't want to or couldn't land a loanee )
Now available we have Ulloa, rod,Obika with Hoskins (in Dev squad Monday) and CMS (delay put back a fortnight via the new groin) not far off.

KLL , Buckley , SD, Orlandi could And should be with scoring more too and aren't far off from doing so. (Woodwork, luck) but somehow this idea that our squad is weak in terms of goal power is a bit misplaced.

One poor touch from Obika on Monday hardly consigns him to the scrap heap. His goal against port vale was taken v. Well and he's barely. Played more than 10mins. Difficult to judge.

And Ulloa really is scoring a goal a game after a long stretch out.

I'm half full...
This time last year we had a pathetically low number of goals scored from 'others'.
A la Upson this season, Bridge was right in the mix with his brace.

I remember comparing (unfavourably) with the previous seasons Reading who were banging them in from all over the place.

As we know it did finally come good.

But the team effort is what's needed, without Crofts it's hard to see ATM 3 or 4 players really stepping up.
If for no other reason than the likelihood of them being for a month after a mythical hat-trick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here