Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail Smith suffers another injury

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
With Barnes played by Gus in a deeper role on the left CMS was often a lone striker and rarely got the support he needed, no wonder his goal tally shrank. Look at how Barnes and Ulloa have struggled as the lone striker this season. It's too easy for defences to smother our attacks.

Fortunately Oscar seems to have recognised this. Ulloa is coming back into form, helped by the vision of Buckley - that goal against Hull was more what we come to expect. But sadly they are both a bit too fragile.

Personally I would love to see CMS get a chance alongside Ulloa and Buckley, I think they would all benefit hugely and terrorise most defences. That would also give CMS (when fit) a great chance to rediscover his confidence and goal scoring.

I would say the isolation of our striker has got far worse under Garcia. Obviously we've had injuries but the gap between our striker and the rest of the team and the stupidity of banging long balls at him has definetely not improved

Aug 23, 2011
I'm a bit confused as to why everybody's desperate to get him back. Nice fella, fan favourite but clearly out of his depth at this level. A clear difference between his time in League 1 and the Championship [first two columns - games played and goals scored]:

View attachment 51451

10 goals for Peterborough in a relegation side isn't too bad, admittedly his first season for us was disappointing however our side was set up not to concede rather than create chances so thats not going to help. Last season he was doing pretty well and was on for 15+ goals until he got injured

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I thought that that with March, Ulloa and Rodriguez (and Obika) may actually benefit from Lopez playing, they were making good runs and trying to get in behind the defence in a recent match but no one had spotted them and that sort of vision and ability to pick that pass is something that Lopez could bring to the side

I completely agree, but for some reason something hasn't clicked with sLopez so far this season, if he was on form then he would be perfect but he's been a passenger for the majority of the season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
10 goals for Peterborough in a relegation side isn't too bad, admittedly his first season for us was disappointing however our side was set up not to concede rather than create chances so thats not going to help. Last season he was doing pretty well and was on for 15+ goals until he got injured

Ishmael Miller has bagged 5 goals in 11 games in a relegation threatened Yeovil side, I know it's all ifs and buts, but makes his 10 goals for Posh look quite a poor return.
CMS had 11 goals in 31 appearances before getting injured in March.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
So after Barnes leaves, the Albion 'fans' have quickly nominated Obika as the new anti Christ.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So after Barnes leaves, the Albion 'fans' have quickly nominated Obika as the new anti Christ.

Thats not really fare, he has been pretty awful on his brief appearances at home. He clearly lacks control, pace, skill, vision, the ability to hold the ball up and has a problem running. I would consider myself pretty open minded and willing to give anyone a chance, but I question what this guy is doing on Spurs books. His displays at the Amex have been poor and people have the right to judge, I would love him to prove me wrong.

Aug 23, 2011
Ishmael Miller has bagged 5 goals in 11 games in a relegation threatened Yeovil side, I know it's all ifs and buts, but makes his 10 goals for Posh look quite a poor return.
CMS had 11 goals in 31 appearances before getting injured in March.

And Yeovil's other striker has 5 goals in 22. They have only just signed Miller on loan and if they had had him from the start they might not be bottom of the table.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Does Obika remind anybody else of Ali Dia (I think!). The guy that conned Saints in giving him a go - despite having no footballing ability whatsoever - by claiming to be George Weah's cousin?

Obika - bless him - reminds me of myself at a young age. Full of enthusiasm, charging around after the ball like a complete lunatic - but with no footballing skills or ability whatsoever.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Love how a player is condemned by stats without thought by some

The fact that he has yet to play in our system and under the management and coaching of Oscar seem irrelevent to them and seem stuck in the past without ever considering that a player can learn, adapt and improve over their career. Maybe Oscars approach will suit his game better and he will benefit as will the team.

Its the same sort of argument they use against players we have had in the past like Vokes and Wood yet they have gone on and done well and this is also being used against Obika - written off before being given a proper run out in the side - 10 minutes against a premiership defence when we were sitting deep and leaving our forward players isolated is hardly a good basis to judge yet that too is being used to condemn a young player with lots of potential.

Some people seem desperate to cut off their noses to spite their face.

How about we give the pair a proper chance first.

Completely agree with your post-----CMS not a footballer FFS! :facepalm:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Nonsense. There is a world of difference between Barnes who IMO, was a good player for us and Obika, who frankly is quite appalling and hopelessly out of his depth.

I think everyone wants Obika to come good, at this moment it seems unlikely.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I highly doubt the signing of Obika was solely down to Jones' recommendation. It was more likely that he was identified as someone who fitted the criteria, both from a positional and financial perspective, that we were looking for.

Agreed ,it is not down to one person. Obika did look poor though.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Maybe Hoskins will be back before CMS now.

Heard CMS was injured again last week not sure we will see him in the 1st team any time soon, Hopefully Hoskins will fare better but it seems the club or more to the point the scouts could cost us the play-offs due to not signing decent striker cover during the transfer window, definitely need to get their fingers out now .... sadly Obika who has had numerous clubs is not up to it and Rodriguez a poor mans substitute and will be gone at the end of the season

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Heard CMS was injured again last week not sure we will see him in the 1st team any time soon, Hopefully Hoskins will fare better but it seems the club or more to the point the scouts could cost us the play-offs due to not signing decent striker cover during the transfer window, definitely need to get their fingers out now .... sadly Obika who has had numerous clubs is not up to it and Rodriguez a poor mans substitute and will be gone at the end of the season

Loyal supporter.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
If we need a target man, maybe Dunk might make a makeshift striker for Monday? Personally, I would prefer Ankergren to Obika from what I've seen so far!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes I am actually and but also a realistic one, but if you think Obika and rodders are Messi and Aguero through your rose tinted glasses you might want to book a date at the opticians to get them changed

Rodriguez has played how many minutes for us? A guy who's spent his entire career in another country and has joined us mid season in the middle of winter. And you're writing him off already. Unbelievable. And idiotic.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Rodriguez has played how many minutes for us? A guy who's spent his entire career in another country and has joined us mid season in the middle of winter. And you're writing him off already. Unbelievable. And idiotic.

He looked totally lost in one reminded me of Holroyd but you probably think he was a world beater as well whatever floats you boat I suppose, he will still be gone at the end of the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here