Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Mackail Smith suffers another injury

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
CMS is a concern but with no Buckley, potentially no March, and Ulloa restricted,we might struggle to extend our oromotion hopes beyond the next couple of weeks. I think I have already given up on the cup.
Really cannot recall a worse run of serious injuries.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Well never mind we can console ourselves with the facts that we are being a very good little club and trying our best to stick to FFP plus we have Obika! See not all bad!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm a bit confused as to why everybody's desperate to get him back. Nice fella, fan favourite but clearly out of his depth at this level. A clear difference between his time in League 1 and the Championship [first two columns - games played and goals scored]:

View attachment 51451

Not sure I understand that argument - surely any striker of any level of competence will score more goals per game the weaker the opposition is.

I'd expect Suarez to score far more goals against League 1 opposition than he has against Premier League teams - would that make him 'clearly out of his depth' in the Premier League? ???

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Currently Inigo, Spanish Dave, JFC and Upson all tied on two goals.

piss poor and the reason we are not top 6.

Hopefully Ulloa can stay fit , Buckley can get fit , Orlandi can step up and Rodriguez bang a few in

Defence solid so dont need loads of goals

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
if he does its time for him to step up and show why he should be in a team and that goes with spanish rodney and jon crap obika aswell

I think Rodriguez has looked quite good generally, SLopez has been dreadfull pretty much all season and I can't see any reason for a sudden change in form. I have no words for Obika.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
If there was ever a chance for someone to step up and do a job for us, it is now.

I think Rodriguez should get a go, purely because he has shown more hunger than Obika (wouldn't be difficult). However I fear that Obika will get the nod, but if he does not put a real shift in then we should send him back to Spurs.

I feel sorry for March, picks up an injury just as when might have earned another start.

I suspect it might have been a bit soon for CMS to make a full comeback on Sat or Mon otherwise he would have been ideal to come off the bench. However that's no longer an option. Shame, I reckon he would have shown plenty of hunger, even at 90% match fit.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm a bit confused as to why everybody's desperate to get him back. Nice fella, fan favourite but clearly out of his depth at this level. A clear difference between his time in League 1 and the Championship [first two columns - games played and goals scored]:

View attachment 51451

At the same time, there's a difference between him in L1 and L2. If we look at it from a real perspective: Posh in championship were struggling so not easy to score lots in a poor squad. 1st Albion season he's getting used to our style of play and we were inconsistent. 2nd season he only got half a season due to injury.

Don't get me wrong, i don't think he'll come back and be the messiah for us, but there's two ways to interpret the stats.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I hope the club are getting fully compensated for his wages from whomever insures the players, and Hoskins too for that matter. If not we are haemorrhaging cash. :(

There is no insurance to cover injury. That's why we have to be even more careful when spending big on transfers. You can bring in an expensive player and there is no guarantee that he won’t get injured the following week. Every player is a gamble and this has to be considered with every signing for a club like ours and injuries are a massive liability.

If Rooney gets injured Man U can afford £300k a week, we couldn’t.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

View attachment 51451

Love how a player is condemned by stats without thought by some

The fact that he has yet to play in our system and under the management and coaching of Oscar seem irrelevent to them and seem stuck in the past without ever considering that a player can learn, adapt and improve over their career. Maybe Oscars approach will suit his game better and he will benefit as will the team.

Its the same sort of argument they use against players we have had in the past like Vokes and Wood yet they have gone on and done well and this is also being used against Obika - written off before being given a proper run out in the side - 10 minutes against a premiership defence when we were sitting deep and leaving our forward players isolated is hardly a good basis to judge yet that too is being used to condemn a young player with lots of potential.

Some people seem desperate to cut off their noses to spite their face.

How about we give the pair a proper chance first.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
At the same time, there's a difference between him in L1 and L2. If we look at it from a real perspective: Posh in championship were struggling so not easy to score lots in a poor squad. 1st Albion season he's getting used to our style of play and we were inconsistent. 2nd season he only got half a season due to injury.

Don't get me wrong, i don't think he'll come back and be the messiah for us, but there's two ways to interpret the stats.

With Barnes played by Gus in a deeper role on the left CMS was often a lone striker and rarely got the support he needed, no wonder his goal tally shrank. Look at how Barnes and Ulloa have struggled as the lone striker this season. It's too easy for defences to smother our attacks.

Fortunately Oscar seems to have recognised this. Ulloa is coming back into form, helped by the vision of Buckley - that goal against Hull was more what we come to expect. But sadly they are both a bit too fragile.

Personally I would love to see CMS get a chance alongside Ulloa and Buckley, I think they would all benefit hugely and terrorise most defences. That would also give CMS (when fit) a great chance to rediscover his confidence and goal scoring.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I'm a bit worried that with March and Buckley being potentially unavailable this might see a return for SLopez :nono:

I thought that that with March, Ulloa and Rodriguez (and Obika) may actually benefit from Lopez playing, they were making good runs and trying to get in behind the defence in a recent match but no one had spotted them and that sort of vision and ability to pick that pass is something that Lopez could bring to the side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here