Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countries you would never wish to visit?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why's that?

Probably my 2 favourite countries I've been to.

Their Politically history would be one, but you can't hold that against all their people I know.

The accents alone would do it for me I'm afraid. Would do my head in by the end of the first day.

Added to that I almost feel like I bloody live in both anyway as we never stop hearing about them. Naturally I suppose, given our shared history. I particularly detest US Cultural Imperialism. And both countries are responsible for introducing that annoying fvcking upward inflection over here as well.

No thanks. No love for either country at all.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
USA is one for me. Why ? Hard to say. I've seen too much of it through media and there is so much attention focused that I don't think I would take much from it. Naturally I wouldn't want to visit places that are lawless. I don't know why folk list India. It's an amazing place.

Some really interesting shouts here for USA.

I've only toured California and Key West but i'm aware of appalling poverty and desperate social privations - for whites as well as black Americans that don't get a lot of air time. E.G. a la Breaking Bad, thousands of towns broken by local crystal meth manufacture

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
USA is one for me. Why ? Hard to say. I've seen too much of it through media and there is so much attention focused that I don't think I would take much from it. Naturally I wouldn't want to visit places that are lawless. I don't know why folk list India. It's an amazing place.

you have seen a lot of it i the media as you are in the Anglosphere, and it culturally dominates. As a British person, the US is met with a combination of fascination and resentment, based on a shared culture and their economic and cultural ascendancy. Issues with the US, from the British, are often from a very limited cultural prism. It is one of the most wonderful countries on earth, diverse, vibrant, and democratic, but Brits want to knock it on the completely fictional basis they dont have our humour or they have different firearms laws.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The US is so large and diverse it's really too big to easily fit into a yes/no thing. I love the West Coast (as long as you avoid LA) and South Florida, for example......but there are so many parts I haven't been to. Not overly keen on NYC either (over-rated) but may be due to having been there too much and mostly for crappy work trips (tomorrow as it happens). Seriously considering getting a little place in Florida on the water - lifestyle in the Keys is just bliss.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
The US is so large and diverse it's really too big to easily fit into a yes/no thing. I love the West Coast (as long as you avoid LA) and South Florida, for example......but there are so many parts I haven't been to. Not overly keen on NYC either (over-rated) but may be due to having been there too much and mostly for crappy work trips (tomorrow as it happens). Seriously considering getting a little place in Florida on the water - lifestyle in the Keys is just bliss.

Agree about LA - the railway station was the only place I adored. Shasta Dam was the best place in the state for me, a wonder of the world...

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agree about LA - the railway station was the only place I adored. Shasta Dam was the best place in the state for me, a wonder of the world...

Magic Mountain for me but then I am a roller coaster junkie........

Downtown LA is a proper seedy dump. The 'walk of fame' is basically a grubby pavement and the traffic is awful.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Very surprised so many people say Australia.

I love it out there.

Saudi is a decent call for me. I went to the UAE for a couple of days, and I am guessing it's "Saudi very lite". And I detested every minute I was there. Can only imagine Saudi is a great deal worse.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
For places I wouldn't go.... Dubai, Turkey, Egypt. Oh and Tunisia which I've been to previously. Don't care if they have nice bits, they are horrible places where huge numbers of people (and women in particular) are treated like shit. No thanks.

Really want to go and watch cricket in South Africa too but the same rules apply.

Ive been to SA a few times and cant say treating women like crap was something that even crossed my radar.
sure you are not thinking of somewhere else?

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Magic Mountain for me but then I am a roller coaster junkie........

Downtown LA is a proper seedy dump. The 'walk of fame' is basically a grubby pavement and the traffic is awful.
Ended up in downtown LA when it turned dark. Felt more uncomfortable there than anywhere else I've ever been

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
LOL, I work for HSBC and have a team in Mexico..................
Wow. You got away with laundering all that cartel money then? Oh hang on, everyone got away with that at HSBC didn't they? Apart from the guy who was pensioned off on a few million and blamed for it... [emoji6]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Anywhere where the FCO advice is to aviod plus anywhere that doesn't have decent hotels, good food and is not too hot. So a fairly long list.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Sadly, I am near the end of a tour of California and it has been fabulous. The only downside for me has been San Francisco which is filthy and full of homeless people and LA traffic. I am currently on a sun lounger by the pool in San Diego, I do not want to go home..

Really don't fancy Turkey, been once and not really my thing. Oh, and Bahrain. Where I went it looked like Beirut, I hear there's nice parts but no thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here