Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council house help...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you are not in breach in any way, I don't understand how they can turf you out of the home you are in?

If the council need to return the property to the private landlord, you being in the house is an issue for them, I would be tempted to sit tight, refuse the Brighton property, and offer to move out this weekend if you can move into the one round the corner.

I would try and find some evidence to support that people bidding from a Band C position usually have no chance, it may be that the need to return the property to the Landlord is causing them to treat you differently than other tennants. From their point of view, it may be people have been waiting longer for re homing and should have the opportunity to bid on the home you want, you need to stress the point out that you were homed, and it is them that are making you homeless. You have Children at local schools, are integrated into the local community etc. and this upheaval is through no fault of your own whatsoever.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
If you are not in breach in any way, I don't understand how they can turf you out of the home you are in?

If the council need to return the property to the private landlord, you being in the house is an issue for them, I would be tempted to sit tight, refuse the Brighton property, and offer to move out this weekend if you can move into the one round the corner.

I would try and find some evidence to support that people bidding from a Band C position usually have no chance, it may be that the need to return the property to the Landlord is causing them to treat you differently than other tennants. From their point of view, it may be people have been waiting longer for re homing and should have the opportunity to bid on the home you want, you need to stress the point out that you were homed, and it is them that are making you homeless. You have Children at local schools, are integrated into the local community etc. and this upheaval is through no fault of your own whatsoever.

I do actually have some fairly solid evidence of Band C bids getting zero chance of winning. Our bid archive section goes back to 2008 where ALL the successful bids are only Band A.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
image.jpg

This is so fiddly on an iPhone...I sure hope this is the correct attachment!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Just to update you folks that were following this thread.

We viewed the house in Brighton today. It really doesn't fit our needs but we've been put in a corner and pretty much have to accept it. We've now got a week to vacate our current property. We have a wet room with no bath which is not going to be great having at least two of my children with eczema. We're waiting on a letter from the doctor regarding this which we've had to pay £25 for. But the council have already made it quite clear that even this won't help our plight.

I just find it so sad that no matter how decent a person you are it doesn't help in this situation. Feeling pretty damn low right now.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

We viewed the house in Brighton today. It really doesn't fit our needs but we've been put in a corner and pretty much have to accept it. We've now got a week to vacate our current property. We have a wet room with no bath which is not going to be great having at least two of my children with eczema. We're waiting on a letter from the doctor regarding this which we've had to pay £25 for. But the council have already made it quite clear that even this won't help our plight.

I just find it so sad that no matter how decent a person you are it doesn't help in this situation. Feeling pretty damn low right now.

Sorry to read that mate, what are the rules on then bidding for other properties?

Can you not move into the other one and immediately start looking elsewhere?

i really hope that things start to look up for you - did you go to the head of the council?

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I have to be in the new place for at least a year before I'm allowed to start bidding again.

I also sought out every single avenue of help but needless to say, nobody could sort this mess out.
I'm trying so hard to not feel hard done by and keep positive for the kids but I'll be honest, I do feel a little hard done by. I'm exhausted from the fighting now.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Also, I need to try and carpet this place in a few days. Having a one year old crawling on the disgusting floorboards that have been left for me is going to be a nightmare.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If things are pretty bad decoration wise, you can apply for vouchers:

In other cases where the property is of poor decorative standard, the council may issue decorating vouchers at its discretion.

No guarantee you'll get them, but it can't hurt to ask.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
We did ask the woman who gave us the viewing but she said there was very little chance of getting any vouchers whatsoever.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I moved into a council property a few years ago and I know different councils have different rules and procedures and it was a while ago but where I was moving into had been trashed and all carpets ripped out. Due to my circumstances I was moving in with nothing (short story, break down of marriage and massive depression) and I was put in touch with a charity who helped me get decorating vouchers, I had the house fully recarpeted and got a cooker. Really play on the loss of job thing and ask for ANYTHING you can claim for. As has been said you have nothing to lose

If as it looks like is the case you are stuck with the Brighton property I would investigate every non council avenue for support and help and I know you can't start bidding again for a year but is it possible you could get on an exchange program? Its possible someone in Hangleton might want to move closer to centre and have a property you would take but they can't get relocated as they are band C and low priority. For the cost of a few cards in newsagents local to where you want to be it might just work

Either way good luck with everything and things can only get better

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I still don't understand why you had to leave, if you have signed a 25 year lease??

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I still don't understand why you had to leave, if you have signed a 25 year lease??

Landlord wants the place back off the council mate. That's it. Nothing I can do about it other than get talked to like absolute crap from the council and be slung into a house in the back of Brighton without being allowed to decline the first and final offer they've offered or else I'll be struck off the council list.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Hi
I am confused read most of the post so sorry if i have missed this, but if you bid while on cat C you should be able to refuse the offer, if you were upgraded to A being made homeless then you have to accept the first offer.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Hi
I am confused read most of the post so sorry if i have missed this, but if you bid while on cat C you should be able to refuse the offer, if you were upgraded to A being made homeless then you have to accept the first offer.

EXACTLY! This is why it's killing us mate. The council are really doing us in here and we can't do anything about it. Even with help from MP's etc.

My wife and I feel dreadful. I'm off work with stress. It's just a mess and I'm tired of fighting it all now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here