[Politics] Cost of Living Crisis

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I could understand if the economy was overheating and people were driving up prices on goods like clothes or cars etc but that is not what is happening. The global price of energy is going up.

Exactly.

There is no raging consumption boom to quell. The opposite, credit card and loan debts reduced with folk unable to spend on travel.

Inflation this time has been caused by unique factors outside of the traditional reason of demand from consumers. Car fuel, home energy, food, supply chain issues.

When BoE monetary committee members speak to the media, they say it’s to reduce inflation to 2%. How will raising the cost of all forms of lending, negate the higher cost of petrol, gas, elec, food and imported goods?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You make assumptions.

Incidentally Shell has made £19,000,000,000 profits and our government has refused to implement a windfall tax.

You said reduced, not removed. We can’t remove VAT in the EU. FACT.

So I understand, great news for Pension and Investment funds isn’t it?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Despicable c**** the lot of them!

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You said reduced, not removed. We can’t remove VAT in the EU. FACT.

So I understand, great news for Pension and Investment funds isn’t it?

Poland breaking the law then?

Poland’s government has unveiled further measures intended to soften the blow of rising inflation, which is at its highest level in over two decades and among the highest in the European Union.

The latest “anti-inflation shield”, which will come into force in February, will include cutting VAT on food, gas and fertiliser to zero. It is estimated to cost the budget between 15 and 20 billion zloty (€3.3-4.4 billion).

https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/01...ood-and-gas-in-latest-anti-inflation-package/

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You make assumptions.

Incidentally Shell has made £19,000,000,000 profits and our government has refused to implement a windfall tax.

The company is worth 20% more than a month ago with a big spike in the past week, good to have friends in government

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Poland’s government has unveiled further measures intended to soften the blow of rising inflation, which is at its highest level in over two decades and among the highest in the European Union.

The latest “anti-inflation shield”, which will come into force in February, will include cutting VAT on food, gas and fertiliser to zero. It is estimated to cost the budget between 15 and 20 billion zloty (€3.3-4.4 billion).

https://notesfrompoland.com/2022/01...ood-and-gas-in-latest-anti-inflation-package/

Portugal and Belgium also. It's amusing as I'm sure they haven't left the EU to do so.

The only country to leave the EU is the one not lowering nor removing VAT despite a promise to do so. It's almost like they were lying.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Portugal and Belgium also. It's amusing as I'm sure they haven't left the EU to do so.

The only country to leave the EU is the one not lowering nor removing VAT despite a promise to do so. It's almost like they were lying.

they have distorted the bounds of truths and lies so much that they don't have a grasp of reality.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
energybills.jpg

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Interesting website, an earlier article seems to frame the poison.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/12...on-fuel-and-food-to-soften-blow-of-inflation/

Poland had to request from the EU Commission, (not the Parliament I note) permission to reduce some of its VAT rates to zero.

I’m sure if the EU commission recently approved that petition then all is well in EU law, however they could not do that arbitrarily like any other sovereign nation can.

Moreover, it’s a sorry state of affairs for a democratically elected Polish PM to go cap in hand to an unelected German official before they can set their own tax rates. I can imagine with Poland’s history that is really popular with their electorate.

Im bardziej to sie zmienia………as they would say in Poland (and France).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
You’ve left the EU, but you’re still absolutely pissing your pants over us. What gives?

Couldn’t agree more, we have left and the war should be over.

It’s not though, like this thread proves, we have fanatical Japanese style Herberts holed up in the long grass resplendent in their piss stained fatigues still pining to be part of the wider lebensraum.

I think the last one was finally wrinkled out in 1970, so on that basis I won’t expect their Banzai charges to stop till circa 2041.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Interesting website, an earlier article seems to frame the poison.

https://notesfrompoland.com/2021/12...on-fuel-and-food-to-soften-blow-of-inflation/

Poland had to request from the EU Commission, (not the Parliament I note) permission to reduce some of its VAT rates to zero.

I’m sure if the EU commission recently approved that petition then all is well in EU law, however they could not do that arbitrarily like any other sovereign nation can.

Moreover, it’s a sorry state of affairs for a democratically elected Polish PM to go cap in hand to an unelected German official before they can set their own tax rates. I can imagine with Poland’s history that is really popular with their electorate.

Im bardziej to sie zmienia………as they would say in Poland (and France).

How awful, I bet they are really regretting all the Billions of infrastructure spending from the EU now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How awful, I bet they are really regretting all the Billions of infrastructure spending from the EU now.

He can’t piss his pants about the UK and the EU anymore so he now wets himself on behalf of Poland. :thumbsup: Says a lot about what little else Brexiteers have going on in their lives.

Right, there’s fresh snow to be had….laters.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Couldn’t agree more, we have left and the war should be over.

It’s not though, like this thread proves, we have fanatical Japanese style Herberts holed up in the long grass resplendent in their piss stained fatigues still pining to be part of the wider lebensraum.

I think the last one was finally wrinkled out in 1970, so on that basis I won’t expect their Banzai charges to stop till circa 2041.

I think the word to describe your state of mind is paranoia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports