Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cost of Living Crisis

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Guess I need to get back to Aldi then. We've not been going there since the pandemic as, frankly, it was far too chaotic (despite us having a brand new one 1/4 mile away).

It was here too.

Loads of 'hard men' throughout refusing to wear masks, plus we saw aggression to staff who asked for mask wearing, along with the spells of panic buying.

Seems okay lately.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Was Peter Mandelson elected by the EU Parliament when he became its trade commissioner?

I think its approach is closer to how a politburo works……..powerful people appointing their mates to powerful posts.

I have no idea :shrug:

What I've read says it's an elected commission appointed by MEPs who are in turn voted in by the public.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have no idea :shrug:

What I've read says it's an elected commission appointed by MEPs who are in turn voted in by the public.

We don't have any unelected bureaucrats hanging round Westminster do we these days?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
No it’s not, EU countries work within minimum rates of VAT set by the EU commission.

Any other country not in the EU can do whatever it likes, as agreed by its own elected representatives.

It’s that simple.

like pour raw sewage into the rivers?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it’s not, EU countries work within minimum rates of VAT set by the EU commission.

Any other country not in the EU can do whatever it likes, as agreed by its own elected representatives.

It’s that simple.

I said reduced not removed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We don't have any unelected bureaucrats hanging round Westminster do we these days?

Lose an election like Goldsmith and get a vote in the House of Lords instead. 850 members in the Lords which is 100 more than the European Parliament.

Jul 7, 2003
Back on topic, not just a UK thing. I've been in an EMEA/LATAM company meeting today and people from many countries concerned about cost of living increases and asking if salaries will be reviewed to help cover this.

Went to my local butcher earlier and a 250g butter which was £1.48 in November, £1.79 in December is now £1.99 and he said that he has been warned that the prices might have to increase again soon.

Just had my energy bill through for this month and significantly higher. Just dropped the thermostat down another notch and got out the thicker jumpers for working from home.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
This a result of Brexit, Covid19, the growth of energy demand from China on the back of demand from the West, an incompetent UK Government, The national debt, the incompetence of previous government of all colours to invest sufficiently in renewable resources while pushing for gas to provide electricity, the short sightedness to sell off the UKs oil and gas and not using it to fund a national fund similar to that of Norway, exploitive opportunist individuals and corporate companies is making hay why the sun shines.

The uk was is and will continue to be up s**t street when the nations largest company is HSBC which we the tax payers had to bail out only a few years ago

THIS, a thousand times

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Back on topic, not just a UK thing. I've been in an EMEA/LATAM company meeting today and people from many countries concerned about cost of living increases and asking if salaries will be reviewed to help cover this.

Went to my local butcher earlier and a 250g butter which was £1.48 in November, £1.79 in December is now £1.99 and he said that he has been warned that the prices might have to increase again soon.

Just had my energy bill through for this month and significantly higher. Just dropped the thermostat down another notch and got out the thicker jumpers for working from home.
Went in local Tesco's yesterday to get my sandwich spread gone up to £1.70 a jar from £1.50 . outrageous

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Meanwhile the French government is forcing EDF to take a 8.4bn euro hit with energy bill caps. Amazing what you can achieve when you don't sell everything off to the private sector.

What a success privatisation has been!!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The tax allowance should be raised in line with inflation every year. This government are ****ing clueless ***** that give a shit about only themselves.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The only upside to all this, is that with the weather having been so mild, we've only needed to put the heating on 3 evenings since last winter. Every cloud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here