Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Cost of Living Crisis

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Because privatised health care is even worse - and we should know - Ireland has a hybrid part public part private health system.

The NHS is one of the most precious things that Britain has - one of the few national health systems in the world - fund it properly, pay the staff properly, stop privatisation by stealth - and the British population will live longer, healthier and happier lives.

This is what is coming down the line if you turn your back on the NHS -

I would have also asked them if they'd ever heard of Tuffon Street....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So - the average salary in Germany is about €48K - and the basic health insurance deduction would be €3360 per annum - on top of that you play a further €720 for the nursing contribution - an extra €10 to fill a prescription, up to €280 for a stay in hospital (per family member), and I think it is up to €750 a year for home help care.

It all keeps adding up - and the cost to a family with one earning on the average income for what is a good health system would be at least €4,000 and could possibly run to over €5,000 a year depending on the circumstances.

My health insurance is about the same - for myself and my wife about €4,000 - but we do pay about €600 a year for prescription medication, €55 per visit for a doctor, a physio or a dentist, and there is an excess of €300 each on the policy (we pay the first €300 of any hospital treatment). The Irish government subsidese private healthcare to the tune of €2billion a year, allows private companies to locate in hospital grounds and allows private consultants to see private patients and use hospital equipment. But who cares, someone is making a lot of money from the system. In the meantime if you need cataracts removed and you are waiting more than a year - they will stick you on a bus and send you to Belfast to get the NHS to sort it for you.

I like the idea of the NHS, properly funded and free at the point of delivery to all, irrespective of income.
I do not have a huge issue with the NHS in principle but some of the services are appaling to non-existent: neurological aftercare and rehab, mental health and dentisty are three I can name. This I do have an issue with. I'd rather have a system which provides for these.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So - the average salary in Germany is about €48K - and the basic health insurance deduction would be €3360 per annum - on top of that you play a further €720 for the nursing contribution - an extra €10 to fill a prescription, up to €280 for a stay in hospital (per family member), and I think it is up to €750 a year for home help care.

It all keeps adding up - and the cost to a family with one earning on the average income for what is a good health system would be at least €4,000 and could possibly run to over €5,000 a year depending on the circumstances.

My health insurance is about the same - for myself and my wife about €4,000 - but we do pay about €600 a year for prescription medication, €55 per visit for a doctor, a physio or a dentist, and there is an excess of €300 each on the policy (we pay the first €300 of any hospital treatment). The Irish government subsidese private healthcare to the tune of €2billion a year, allows private companies to locate in hospital grounds and allows private consultants to see private patients and use hospital equipment. But who cares, someone is making a lot of money from the system. In the meantime if you need cataracts removed and you are waiting more than a year - they will stick you on a bus and send you to Belfast to get the NHS to sort it for you.

I like the idea of the NHS, properly funded and free at the point of delivery to all, irrespective of income.
The idea of a universal health service free to the consumer at the point of use is attractive, so long as, to reference Milton Friedman, you have secure borders.

Open borders and free welfare services would be incompatible for the tax payer…………….another ingredient in the cost of living crisis stew.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The idea of a universal health service free to the consumer at the point of use is attractive, so long as, to reference Milton Friedman, you have secure borders.

Open borders and free welfare services would be incompatible for the tax payer…………….another ingredient in the cost of living crisis stew.
ah yes, all the problems with the NHS is because of foreigners.

Still buying the snake oil..........

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I do not have a huge issue with the NHS in principle but some of the services are appaling to non-existent: neurological aftercare and rehab, mental health and dentisty are three I can name. This I do have an issue with. I'd rather have a system which provides for these.
Blame the Tories (and the Blairites) - they are the ones underfunding the NHS. Since 2009 the NHS has had a cumulative underfunding of £322billion

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Absolute BOLL*CKS

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022

We have never had open borders, and there’s nothing wrong with having reciprocal arrangements with other countries who also have free at point of use healthcare systems. That is an example of international cooperation at work.

We look after theirs, they look after ours. One hand washes the other.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here