[TV] Coronation 2023 ***Official Match Thread***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I don’t like her politics (blatant lying) but she was fantastic today as Lord Privy Councillor.
She refused to wear the usual black and gold regalia, but had her outfit especially designed. It was very elegant and suitable.
And the irony is that Liz Truss put her in this role to keep her out of the spotlight. Another classic move from Liz of 40 days for which we must all thank her.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And the irony is that Liz Truss put her in this role to keep her out of the spotlight. Another classic move from Liz of 40 days for which we must all thank her.
Liz got a lot of things very wrong in her short time. Almost immediately the Queen died, and Mordaunt had the Accession proclamations to do.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
Here in Australia, many (but not all) Indigenous folk are jumping up and down slamming the coronation, what it stands for and the British in general. The ancestors of these morons would have been totally and utterly eliminated genocide fashion, if the Japanese or the Ottomans or other colonial powers or colonial wannabes had actually colonized Australia but let's not let the big picture get in the way eh?

There's a referendum coming up soon to given them a much greater say in Parliamentary processes, but they just kicked an own goal because many of us loved the coronation and resent shrill minorities taking cheap shots at the Crown and it's contribution to Australian democracy.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
TBF France haven’t had royalty for the better part of 300 years .. so not a great comparison,
I would have thought that made it a fairly good comparison.
We have a high profile royal family, which people reckon is good for tourism, which I don’t deny.
France hasn’t had a royal family for over 200 years, and is probably more visited than us, particularly given other things that are now affecting the number of visitors (Brexit and border controls).y

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Here in Australia, many (but not all) Indigenous folk are jumping up and down slamming the coronation, what it stands for and the British in general. The ancestors of these morons would have been totally and utterly eliminated genocide fashion, if the Japanese or the Ottomans or other colonial powers or colonial wannabes had actually colonized Australia but let's not let the big picture get in the way eh?

There's a referendum coming up soon to given them a much greater say in Parliamentary processes, but they just kicked an own goal because many of us loved the coronation and resent shrill minorities taking cheap shots at the Crown and it's contribution to Australian democracy.
This must be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while, by that logic I guess the South Africans should have been thankful to their apartheid government because they didn't wipe them all away? I had heard that Australians were horribly racist towards the original inhabitants of their country but reading it firsthand is quite something

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
10 million visitors per year. If we ended the monarchy, the history of it would still make it a hugely visited destination for the UK, if not more so if you could tour royal rooms and galleries.

The tourist argument is always being quoted but with very little serious evidence. If you were trying to assess the impact of the royalty on tourism you would have to compare the current situation against numbers which would be generated by opening up Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle etc. They would certainly rival Versailles as some of Europe's most popular destinations. Anyway what kind of country bases its' constitution on tourist income; we aren't a theme park.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The tourist argument is always being quoted but with very little serious evidence. If you were trying to assess the impact of the royalty on tourism you would have to compare the current situation against numbers which would be generated by opening up Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle etc. They would certainly rival Versailles as some of Europe's most popular destinations. Anyway what kind of country bases its' constitution on tourist income; we aren't a theme park.
Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle are already open to tourists.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Them and us. The very epitome of racism.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

I think you’ve kicked an own goal there. Wow. 😡

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This must be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while, by that logic I guess the South Africans should have been thankful to their apartheid government because they didn't wipe them all away? I had heard that Australians were horribly racist towards the original inhabitants of their country but reading it firsthand is quite something
Long way to go before Australia accepts and moves on from what happened. There is a large chunk of the country who dont see the atrocities as part of their history but all done by 'the British'. Then you have the quite insane argument made in the post you quoted.

Luckily many of us here are more supportive of trying to heal the rift and improve things for our indigenous people.

Long way to go yet though . . . Especially when. Indigenous voices are not listened to and dismissed as morons. How anyone can complain that the indigenous people are not the biggest fans of Britain and the monarchy is beyond me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Shrill minorities?

You mean the original inhabitants that you stole the land from and then systematically abused for centuries?

Or have I been whoosed here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports