Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Coronation 2023 ***Official Match Thread***

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It just looks so ludicrous wearing those things. How can anyone take it seriously, let alone Charles himself, an intelligent, progressive man? Baffling.

E3EE9B5F-D640-48FE-8861-A711D2CD6B95.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would have enjoyed it more in the time of the Empire where the sun would never set.
Times have moved on though.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fair enough. I didn’t realise the full story.
But having Republican tendencies and in Church terms being a non-conformist I would reckon it’s all superstitious nonsense designed to hoodwink the public in to thinking that it all matters.
Yet anointing the king with oil, goes back to David and Solomon, which is why Zadok the priest (Handel) is sung.
The oil used came from olive trees in Gethsemane. It is biblical, not superstitious.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
my concern is what we would replace it with. The King is a voiceless puppet with no political affiliations.

The thought of Boris Johnson being head of state doesn’t bear thinking about.
Inaugurations don’t come cheap, and as for all those bullet proof limousines.

At present, the Monarchy heads up the Armed Forces, and the Judiciary. It is a separation from government and politics.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yet anointing the king with oil, goes back to David and Solomon, which is why Zadok the priest (Handel) is sung.
The oil used came from olive trees in Gethsemane. It is biblical, not superstitious.
It’s also much more to do with his role as head of the Anglican Church than being King, the two have largely crashed into each other but there are two strands to the thing

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Penny Mordant. What a performance.
I don’t like her politics (blatant lying) but she was fantastic today as Lord Privy Councillor.
She refused to wear the usual black and gold regalia, but had her outfit especially designed. It was very elegant and suitable.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone who knows me knows I am far from being a Tory as Corbin, but penny mordant was immensely fine today.

for all the cynicism, we do this sort of thing brilliantly and I loved every minute of this.

magnificent music, brilliant gospel choir and fabulous choirs singing the most glorious music!

fantastic

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s also much more to do with his role as head of the Anglican Church than being King, the two have largely crashed into each other but there are two strands to the thing
Yes, but it was done, when we were still a Catholic country. As I said, anointing with oil, goes back to biblical times, having mentioned King David who was anointed by Samuel.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyone who knows me knows I am far from being a Tory as Corbin, but penny mordant was immensely fine today.

for all the cynicism, we do this sort of thing brilliantly and I loved every minute of this.

magnificent music, brilliant gospel choir and fabulous choirs singing the most glorious music!

fantastic
I love Zadok the priest written for George II coronation. A beautiful piece of choral music.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
World leading deluded sickening toadying, with a bit of fascist policing thrown in and a side of Hello! insight and fashion commentary.
Well that's the smoke blown up your arse like you wanted Charlie now kindly pay your way, pay proper tax and quit interfering with what's left of our denuded democracy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, but it was done, when we were still a Catholic country. As I said, anointing with oil, goes back to biblical times, having mentioned King David who was anointed by Samuel.
I love Zadok the priest written for George II coronation. A beautiful piece of choral music.
Sung it may times and the typical Handel’s runs that tax a very amateur tenor are a joy to sing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
World leading deluded sickening toadying, with a bit of fascist policing thrown in and a side of Hello! insight and fashion commentary.
Well that's the smoke blown up your arse like you wanted Charlie now kindly pay your way, pay proper tax and quit interfering with what's left of our denuded democracy.
A billionaire pay tax - come on, who are you kidding?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here