Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cornwall

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Depends if you are going A30 or A38. If you are travelling down the A38 try turning off the Trerulefoot roundabout after saltash signposted Looe\ polperro but stay on the A274 and discover Whitsand Bay with all the little villages, the drive along freathy cliff is outstanding at sunset, there is a restaurant on the cliff owned by a sussex chef, Tom Corner i think, called the view. A visit to Kingsand and Cawsand is a must, this part of Cornwall is relativly unknown to the Grockles. From there you can then go to Looe (it is not quiet at this time of year, i was there yesterday) Polperro and my favourite Fowey.
Agree with all other suggestions especially Minack/Portcurno, The Lizard. Avoid Lands End
Try contacting Cornish Seagull and meet him in the best pub in the country on the beach at Perrenporth, great range of Ale, Cider and wine, good pub grub, live music and a view to die for out to sea.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Mevagissey. Lovely little fishing village with stunning views, very close to St Austell, The Eden Project, The Lost Gardens of Heligan etc.

Spent all Summer and Christmas there when i was younger, still love going there.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks guys. Some most excellent suggestions and ideas. Looks like I need 10 days there, not four!

I have reached the conclusion that you can get a lot more sense on here about non-football subjects, than footy related stuff!!!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Thanks guys. Some most excellent suggestions and ideas. Looks like I need 10 days there, not four!

I have reached the conclusion that you can get a lot more sense on here about non-football subjects, than footy related stuff!!!

What if you have to queue for anything?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My daughter is at uni at Falmouth so I often have a pop down there with the missus for a mini break.
Agree with most of the above ....
The one thing I did notice, the local's don't seem that accommodating once they know you're not a yokel [accent usually gives it away], esp in the bars and cafes in the touristy bits - Penzance were very rude and unhelpful mostly.

May have just been unlucky, but that was my experience ....

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
My daughter is at uni at Falmouth so I often have a pop down there with the missus for a mini break.
The one thing I did notice, the local's don't seem that accommodating once they know you're not a yokel [accent usually gives it away], esp in the bars and cafes in the touristy bits - Penzance were very rude and unhelpful mostly.

I have never had or sensed an issue ever in all the many many visits to Cornwall over the years. I think you get back what you put in, if you treat people well, add humour and manners, you will get on fine.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Any good places from St Ives westward along the coast?

The Meadery at Trewellard is a MUST visit. Make sure you're not driving afterwards and get on the Blackberry Mead :drink:

There's also a great restaurant on top of Carn Brea (between Redruth and Camborne) that's in a castle and visible from the A30 (see pic below). Take plenty of cash, though. They don't take cards (which seems to catch everyone out on their first visit). Superb views from up there, too.

I really, really love Cornwall. As The Grub has already said, we lived down there for 2 years and I feel like we still only scratched the surface.

Carn Brea Castle.jpg

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The Meadery at Trewellard is a MUST visit. Make sure you're not driving afterwards and get on the Blackberry Mead :drink:

There's also a great restaurant on top of Carn Brea (between Redruth and Camborne) that's in a castle and visible from the A30 (see pic below). Take plenty of cash, though. They don't take cards (which seems to catch everyone out on their first visit). Superb views from up there, too.

I really, really love Cornwall. As The Grub has already said, we lived down there for 2 years and I feel like we still only scratched the surface.

View attachment 46063

Thanks for that. Will try them out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Off to cornwall in 2 weeks. Little cottage just outside St Ives. Love Cornwall and been many times but still many places I have never seen. Going to Minack, St michaels mount, Lost gardens of Heligan. Any good places from St Ives westward along the coast?

I'm going on the 22nd. Staying near Sennan cove. That is west of St Ives and not to be missed. Amazing beach. If you don't have young kids, head far to the right on the beach - nobody there. There is not much beach (accessible) between St Ives and Sennan, but the drive is fun. There are some small beaches that require a bit of a clamber to access, but not with small kids. Past Sennan. and turning left before Lands End (avoid) is Porthcurno. The rule is if its cloudy at Sennan it will be sunny at Porthcurno (and vice versa). It is like another country down there - the air, the palms . . .brilliant - have a great time (you may see me on my bike in an Albion shirt - don't run me over ;-)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Lived in St Ives for eight years and Have just come back from visiting family there - always worth doing at least a day there just walking around (if you decide to visit a beach there Porthgwidden is the nicest imo :thumbsup: no surfing from there though you'd want Porthmeor for that).

The Seal Sanctuary at Gweek is good to visit although it can feel a little like a wasp sanctuary. Also St Michael's Mount, Paradise Park in Hayle (bird and small animal sanctuary). Don't go to Newquay unless you want a Blackpool experience.

Be prepared to spend a lot of money, sometimes with fairly average results.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Had the best pasty I've ever tasted from a little garden type shed in Mousehole, the memorial to the lifeboatmen also brings back memories of that terrible tragedy for those of us old to remember it

I've always been lucky, since I've been able to claim a tenuous relationship with a few Cornish ex-in-laws with well-known Cornish names. Roz and I spent a whole evening a couple of years ago, in the Blue Anchor at Helston, with the locals buying all our drinks - solely on the basis that my kids' great great great great grandfather had lived next door to the pub in 1861.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Had the best pasty I've ever tasted from a little garden type shed in Mousehole,

Ah Mousehole. Lovely place. I spent a night there on my honeymoon when we toured Cornwall.

There is also a joke in there somewhere.........or is that Mouse's ear.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Just got back from a week in Cornwall. Tinners Arms does fantastic food. Best chips ever and the Treacle tart with clotted cream and Cherry sauce was out of this world.
Trebah gardens are superb with a private beach at the end.
Lost gardens very good.
St michaels mount beautiful.
Found a great dog friendly beach at Long Rock, overlooking St Michaels mount.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here